Get to know your fellow Itinerant members

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

amishman
Addicted!

Get to know your fellow Itinerant members

Post by amishman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 am

I wish there was a general forum for this message so if the mod can think about making one and moving this message over, that would be good. I am one of the non Bay owners but do own 4 VWs, 1960 Single Cab, 1973 Thing, 1989 Syncro Westy, and 2001 TDI Beetle. I thought it would be nice to see what you all look like so when we message each other, you can match up a face with the message. I have added to my user gallery a picture of my ugly mug next to my Syncro for now. Maybe you can all post a picture of you next to one of your VW rides so we can get an idea of what we all look like. I like to match faces with emails and forum messages. Although the Bay forum is most active, I enjoy reading your posts also and have started a few in the groups I am part of here and if a general forum could be made for VW related stuff and not specific to a model, that would be great.

For now, here is my ugly mug.

As for me, I am located in northern california about an hour from Sacrameto. Up in the foothills.

Take it easy.

tj (the Amishman)

My link to my gallery.
http://sluggoproductions.com/iac/album_ ... d8fea8351e
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Ex-orchestral tubist (Boston Symphony, Utah Symphony, Indianapolis Symphony) Couldn't stand having the life sucked out of me trying to make a living at something I loved....

4 year stint in the active Army as a truck driver

Now...Army Civilian at Fort Lewis, WA and member of the National Guard....and the bus is my hobby.

TMI???
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am

Cali born and raised, but lived all over the country at various times. Currently in the Denver area.

IT geek, training guru, and all around underpaid guy!

Aside from working for evil corporate america, I've had two tiny businesses: Don's Wet Dream Aquarium Service selling, installing, and maintaining large aquaria in homes, offices and restaurants. Also a stint doing web design and photography.

My busses quickly became my preferred transportation. Daily driver and trip runner. I can't imagine NOT owning a bus. :)

boboskips
I'm New!

Post by boboskips » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:40 am

Born in Dunedin Flordia, lived on Long Island for 2 years, and most of my formative years were spent in Northern VA/DC. My folks relocated to the Pacific Northwest where I lived in Olympia, WA during my later teenage years.

I went to the University of Washington for my undergraduate degree and lived in Seattle for roughly 6 years (4 in school, 2 Work), where I worked for the StockPot Soup Company as a systems analyst (IT).

Realizing that IT was not what I wanted to do the rest of my life, my future wife and I decided to try out Cali, so now I'm in SoCal and will be attending UCSB in the fall to begin work on a Master's Degree in Environmental Science and Management.

I fell in love with buses during High School, when this fox I worked with had (if I remember correctly) a late model bay. I was so enamored with her beauty (the bus!) that I knew I wanted to own one when I could afford to maintain it!

I'm very new to buses and mechanics in general, so it's been an awesome learning experience!

Peter

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Get to know your fellow Itinerant members

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:58 am

amishman wrote:I wish there was a general forum for this message so if the mod can think about making one and moving this message over, that would be good.
Done. Free speech is for 18 & over only. General Chat is just that.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

amishman
Addicted!

Re: Get to know your fellow Itinerant members

Post by amishman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Sluggo wrote:
amishman wrote:I wish there was a general forum for this message so if the mod can think about making one and moving this message over, that would be good.
Done. Free speech is for 18 & over only. General Chat is just that.
Thanks.

I guess I should make a few more notes for all. I was borned and raised in Rhode Island up to 7 years old. Yes, I am a BoSox fan! Moved to California when my dad was transfered here in the early 70s. Married for 16 years now and am self employed. IT & Computer Tech Support on Macintosh systems is my game. Been into VWs for 5 years now. Never owned a VW until I sold my 1960 Willys Pickup for quick cash, was so sad I lost my old truck, was back on track again money wise and wanted another truck, search yahoo at the time for "old truck" and stumbled across this thing they called Single Cab. I thought it was so ugly but fell in love and have not looked back since!

By the way folks, make sure to post a picture of what you look like next to your VW if you can so we can match up faces.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Snagged this off "that other forum" and need to do an update due to marked physiological deterioration since then.

Born in Santa Monica California, raised in the savannah grasslands of Agoura where I loved the heat and hated clothes until I was 3, moved to Virginia until 8, Connecticut until adulthood, back to California when 21, to upstate New York at 33, that is home base currently.

Grew up with 21/23 window buses, then a '69 .
Bought mine when I was 20. It has been a reliable car, but I am getting worried what with the uneven quality of replacement parts. Currently at 511,000 miles running splendidly with compromises galore.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 pm

Spiffy! Glad to see another musucian on the board. I'm a bassist. Gotta love the low notes,huh?!

daninghram
Addicted!

Post by daninghram » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:27 am

Glad to be here. I am from and still live in northern New Hampshire.
I have a 73 bus needing work now, a 76 Westy, and a 73 parts westy.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:38 am

bottomend wrote:Spiffy! Glad to see another musucian on the board. I'm a bassist. Gotta love the low notes,huh?!
I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Nothing like playing with a bass section on 1812 and the combination of the tuba and the 8 bass players makes the floor rumble =P~ sweet!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:29 pm

If ya'll don't know me by now...

](*,)

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Hello, my name is John... and I'm a bay window addict.
HI JOHN!

I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. To my knowledge, I've never been abducted by aliens. My wife and I met at the University of Oregon. We spent some time back in SF but the Pacific Northwest eventually drew us back. I'm an on and off again bass player... all depends on when I have others to jam with. Two great sons aged 9 and 12. A decent job that pays the bills. Two 77 Westies (soon hopefully just one). All in all, thing are good right now. When will we see some IAC tshirts?
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm Born and Raised San Franciscan, got into volkses just last year, but i have been facinated by them since i was a kid... now i'm hooked and my girlfriend is getting jealous of the bus. #-o

I am a DJ/novice mech/carbohydrate pusher/bus pilot and i like it that way.

I am here to talk, ask, learn, teach, laugh, butt heads :smt075 but never really fight!

:smt064 :smt056 < and just... wow... :-s
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 am

OK. I will bite.

Born and raised in Ames, Iowa and moved to Utah when I was 22 to be a ski bum/college student. BS in Geology from USU in Logan Utah. Being a geologist is a license to be a tourist. I like to look at weird things and talk to interesting people. I do that a lot.

Moved to Maine in 1985 where I am currently doing "life without parole" at my little log house in the woods at the Beach. I work for the Maine Department of Environmental Protection in the Solid Waste progam and do a lot with the Benefical Use of Waste Materials, including recycling tires and shingles. I don't like lawyers (even my own) and do a fair amount with the legislature. I understand the concept of "patience", try not to cop an attitude, and minding my own business really does take most of my time.

Diehard University of Iowa Hawkeye Football fan. And yes, I do know the agony of defeat and someday hope to know "the thrill of victory".

19 ACVWs so far, but most are from my Iowa State and Salt Lake City days (beetles, splitties, gias, and one squareback). My wife (of 22 years if we make it to September) and I enjoy driving the bus and going camping in it, and we try to do both alot. We are really wild now that we have mountain bikes and kayaks.

For the record, I do not know everything there is to know about buses, but I can remember a lot from my previous mistakes and try to keep learning as I go without repeating too many of the same mistakes. I now know just enough to be dangerous. Carbs have long been a mystery to me, but I have a lot of the FI stuff pretty much down.

I also have known a lot of bus people over the years and find most of them pretty interesting. Some of them real interesting, including some of you that I have met. :-$

Well that's my story and I am sticking to it. \:D/
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Randy in Maine wrote: I now know just enough to be dangerous. Carbs have long been a mystery to me, but I have a lot of the FI stuff pretty much down.
Fell free to sprinkle your pearls of vinegary wisdom 'round here.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles