What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

Sylvester wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:Is that the one where the curator of The Sixth Floor museum helps coordinate the ballistics test? They seemed to take great steps to reproduce the conditions present on that day. That show, along with reading accounts of two Secret Service agents present, I'm pretty sure Oswald acted alone.
It was four hours Unsolved History JFK Conspiracy where a historical group re-created the shots into bones and gel, and used lasers to see if the shots could have come from the grassy knoll or the storm drains, the badge man etc. they went into the cycle officer stuck mike and the possibility of four shots. Then the magic bullet, at then end of it I believed Oswald was alone, there was three shots, and even the magic bullet shot into Conelly. They interviewed Mrs Connely also, it was great and probably the longest I have been in front of a TV since I was a teenager!
My friend ( dead a few years) worked in the Kennedy Government, well he was the head lawyer for the Armed Services (Navy Lawyer) and he said they came to the conclusion that Oswald was really trying just to kill Connely as he had done something to Oswald (I forget what exactly). So it was payback. Tried to kill both of them as he just shot both men in the car.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Swim: Why We Love the Water A book about the history of swimming as recreation. It also describes why people like it so much (from both a physical and psychological point of view). I started swimming regularly a couple of months ago so I find it pretty interesting. Also goes into swimming as used in ancient and modern warfare.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:42 am

Bleyseng wrote:My friend ( dead a few years) worked in the Kennedy Government, well he was the head lawyer for the Armed Services (Navy Lawyer) and he said they came to the conclusion that Oswald was really trying just to kill Connely as he had done something to Oswald (I forget what exactly). So it was payback. Tried to kill both of them as he just shot both men in the car.
That is the first time I have heard of that one. To read about all that and the Administration in The Best and the Brightest makes me sad to the lost potential of Kennedy. I actually teared up the other day when my son was watching the Transformers movies and they had Kennedy saying the part where we will put a man on the moon by the end of the decade.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:41 am

Well, its from a insider so I buy it. I was what 11 yrs old when it happened and I still remember it and the loss everyone felt. It was like the world stopped and has never recovered!
I am reading the Kennedy Detail by Gerald Baine all about the Secret Service men who served at that time and finally feel its time to tell their story but they all are gone. Even they felt it was a magical time and loved Kennedy!
Geoff

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 am

I found this in an antique mall near me, and could not believe it when I found it, all the way from 1974!

The Texas-Israeli War: 1999

You read it right. I am reading this on the Bus and Train and wondering, if someone sees the cover, what are they thinking?

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

Buck the Sun by Ivan Doig.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 am

When the enemy is tired, Russell Brandon. It was supposed to be a chilling reminder of the Pueblo incident. Published in 1969, about Austrailians captured and brainwashed by the Chinese. I bought a bunch of old books to read in a thrift store.

Also Templars in America, from the Crusades to the New World. This is how Henry St. Clair of Shetland sailed to Massachusetts in 1398 and 1399. This book believes the Newport Tower and the Westford Knight carving were from the expeditions. Interesting book.

Still reading Best and the Brightest, only at page 300, ugh.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:45 am

I am reading "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child the latest of the Jack Reacher series.
Geoff

retro1302
I'm New!

Post by retro1302 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:03 am

I'm now reading "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by W. David Woods. It amazes me that the folks who envisioned, conceived, designed and carried out the greatest technological triumph of the United States were, at the time, driving our then new vintage VWs to work. Talk about extremes in technology......

Stan

1965 Split Camper
1971 Super Beetle Convert
1980 Triumph Spitfire

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am

retro1302 wrote:I'm now reading "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by W. David Woods. It amazes me that the folks who envisioned, conceived, designed and carried out the greatest technological triumph of the United States were, at the time, driving our then new vintage VWs to work. Talk about extremes in technology......

Stan
And the D-Jet electronic fuel injection computer had enough brainpower to . . . um, well, fire up the lunar module's lift-off engines?
Now your average notebook could run the entire Apollo program.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

That Used to be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back, by Friedman and Mandelbaum. And--Forever, by Pete Hamill.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
retro1302 wrote:I'm now reading "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by W. David Woods. It amazes me that the folks who envisioned, conceived, designed and carried out the greatest technological triumph of the United States were, at the time, driving our then new vintage VWs to work. Talk about extremes in technology......

Stan
And the D-Jet electronic fuel injection computer had enough brainpower to . . . um, well, fire up the lunar module's lift-off engines?
Now your average notebook could run the entire Apollo program.
Colin

and yet...the 2012 Honda Accord i just drove cross country barely scraped 30 mpg on open road...ill bet the 1968 Type III with D-jet would come pretty dang close...how is that possible with the giant leaps in technology you mentioned above??
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm

dingo wrote: and yet...the 2012 Honda Accord i just drove cross country barely scraped 30 mpg on open road...ill bet the 1968 Type III with D-jet would come pretty dang close...how is that possible with the giant leaps in technology you mentioned above??
The new Honda is a corpulent pig compared to the Type 3, I am not surprised.
Colin

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:40 am

I got this book for xmas.
Really interesting read especially if you are into history.
Pretty in-depth descriptions of ww2 & hitlers role, nordoffs career and the porsche families life.

Being an artist/designer I really enjoyed the time spent on Doyle Dane Bernbach, the ad agency for the the think small ads etc..

“I am definitely the kind of person who very much appreciates the difficulty and value of looking at something everyone is familiar with in a fresh, new way. Candidly, at first I had very little interest in this book because I am so familiar with the VW/Porsche story. But to my delight, as I looked through it I found a fascinating new perspective on the events. Also many untold stories, such as the beginnings of Doyle Dane Bernbach, the greatest advertising agency of all time. My congratulations to Ms. Hiott for a marvelous piece of work.”—Jerry Seinfeld
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm

zabo wrote: Being an artist/designer I really enjoyed the time spent on Doyle Dane Bernbach, the ad agency for the the think small ads etc..
Probably the best ad copy ever for the bus . . .
Do You Have The Right Kind Of Wife For It?

Can your wife bake her own bread? Can she get a kid's leg stitched and not phone you at the office until it's all over? Find something to talk about when the TV set goes on the blink? Does she worry about the Bomb? Make your neighbors' children wish that she were their mother? Will she say "Yes" to a camping trip after 50 straight weeks of cooking? Let your daughter keep a pet snake in the back yard? Invite 13 people to dinner even though she only has service for 12? Name a cat "Rover"? Live another year without furniture and take a trip to Europe instead? Let you give up your job with a smile? And mean it? Congratulations.