Save the Bays Fund

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Save the Bays Fund

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:02 pm

There's this thread about the timing scales, vwbusrepairman said he had some. And colin said we should fab them off of his good stock specimen.

I'd like to see an effort to do this for lots of parts. Why depend on the retailers to take care of this for us. I mean like the rubber seal above the oil cooler, or the gas filler tube for the 73, or some of the funky stuff for the FI buses. Why don't we get some good examples and make some good copies? Or maybe a good relationship with a retailer is the answer. All I know is that our needs aren't being met.

I'd be willing to pony up some funds, and if we all did we could make it happpen!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Save the Bays Fund

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 pm

chitwnvw wrote:There's this thread about the timing scales, vwbusrepairman said he had some. And colin said we should fab them off of his good stock specimen.

I'd like to see an effort to do this for lots of parts. Why depend on the retailers to take care of this for us. I mean like the rubber seal above the oil cooler, or the gas filler tube for the 73, or some of the funky stuff for the FI buses. Why don't we get some good examples and make some good copies? Or maybe a good relationship with a retailer is the answer. All I know is that our needs aren't being met.

I'd be willing to pony up some funds, and if we all did we could make it happpen!
I think the process is going to be a slow steady build. The engraved metal scales at Busted Bus for $39.00 is an acceptable price to pay for a part you will never need again and that allows all kinds of interesting paint schemes. If I find a decent supply of German window felt for Mercedes that we can use in our cars, that would be a coup even if it is expensive. My 78 450SEL has perfect felts after 28 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I only had to do it once. The RMMW crap on my VW now shames me.
Please do endeavor to speak with suppliers and get referrals to manufacturers and see what sort of dialogue you can establish. Anyone speak fluent Chinese?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Anyone speak fluent Chinese?
I know phj's hanging around the internet someplace, though not in the VW areas. Not only does she speak Chinese, she's in Taiwan where stuff gets made.

Not sure if she'd have the time or interest in being a go-between though...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:40 pm

That's fine. We should support the vendors that are coming through. But in a lacking part, like the rubber seal above the oil cooler, why no investigate our options? We are organized, lets get our muscle pushing!

daves_ale
Getting Hooked!

Post by daves_ale » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:08 am

chitwnvw wrote:That's fine. We should support the vendors that are coming through. But in a lacking part, like the rubber seal above the oil cooler, why no investigate our options? We are organized, lets get our muscle pushing!
Agreed, surely folks like west coast metric are starting to notice the growing interest in Bay window busses. Especially now that splitties prices are shooting through the roof.

Lets see if we can get some more bits made for our busses.

Cheers.
"beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". B. Franklin
'78 Westy
'78 DC
'65 21 window

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:40 am

We're already putting together a know bad and know good list of parts, how about a know NLA list. We could then contact vendors of known good parts and let them know that there are thousands of potential buyers looking for these parts.

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 am

For anything that ABS plastic can be used for, I have a friend with a vacuum-form table who's pretty clever about crafting stuff.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 am

know bad and know good list of parts,
Where is the list and how do others contribute?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:06 pm

RussellK wrote:
know bad and know good list of parts,
Where is the list and how do others contribute?
It's a sticky at the top of each Technical Forum. If you know a part from a vendor to be good, list it in the Known Good Parts section. If you know a replacement part to be cheap, ill fitting or just plain crappy, list that in the Belatedly Discovered Junk section.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:55 am

If any parts can be made by stamping, I would like to recommend this company in So Cal.
http://www.wemakeparts.com/contact-best ... amping.htm

I used to do business with them years ago. They have a complete tool and die shop and can make just about any type of pressed metal item in their stamping presses. Custom machine tools are not cheap, but if someone worked out all the specs for a part, Best Way can make them for you. They can hold your tool and die sets on their shelves and run a batch of parts whenever you place an order, or you can furnish your own tools. They can supply the raw metal, or you can supply your own.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:06 am

nakedfrog wrote:For anything that ABS plastic can be used for, I have a friend with a vacuum-form table who's pretty clever about crafting stuff.
What are the properties of ABS plastic?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
nakedfrog wrote:For anything that ABS plastic can be used for, I have a friend with a vacuum-form table who's pretty clever about crafting stuff.
What are the properties of ABS plastic?
Colin
I don't know too much about it myself, but I pulled this from Wikipedia:
The final properties will be influenced to some extent by the conditions under which the material is processed to the final product; for example, molding at a high temperature improves the gloss and heat resistance of the product whereas the highest impact resistance and strength are obtained by molding at low temperature. ABS polymers are resistant to aqueous acids, alkalis, concentrated hydrochloric and phosphoric acids, alcohols and animal, vegetable and mineral oils, but they are swollen by glacial acetic acid, carbon tetrachloride and aromatic hydrocarbons and are attacked by concentrated sulfuric and nitric acids. They are soluble in esters, ketones and ethylene dichloride.
It is heated in using his method of forming. It's pretty rigid stuff, haven't really used in an application to determine the impact resistance.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:52 pm

chitwnvw wrote:There's this thread about the timing scales, vwbusrepairman said he had some. And colin said we should fab them off of his good stock specimen.
I only have this one left and no used ones now. yes, I only paid $5.95 for this part earlier this year. I will see if there are any left. Colin went with me to this same shop where he some how obtained a free gasket kit in 2005!
I think $39 for a scale is insane, but maybe it's worth it.

I think I shall try my hand at duplicating this one and conducting my own functional validation work on the part. :king:

Here's my latest $600 purchase:
please don't hate because it's a domestic, but embrace the idea of how many VW Bus parts I can now haul home and then pass the savings on to you all. :geek:
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:13 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:Here's my latest $600 purchase:
please don't hate because it's a domestic, but embrace the idea of how many VW Bus parts I can now haul home and then pass the savings on to you all. :geek:
It's a good looking truck! I like the color scheme. BTW, I'm still looking for your tail gate.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 pm

covelo wrote: It's a good looking truck! I like the color scheme. BTW, I'm still looking for your tail gate.
I found one but the owner won't part the truck- that has been there since I was in the 8th grade.
Would be nice to have one to complete my classic truck. I have the owner's manual too- looks like it's been in Indiana all it's life.

I will give injection parts or a type IV engine for a tailgate, folks.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work