Kamping at KOA

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

static
IAC Addict!

Kamping at KOA

Post by static » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:41 pm

I am logging in from the KOA campground in Petaluma , Sonoma County , California . I am logging in from my campsite. My campsite has free Wi-Fi, and it’s a pretty good signal at that.

May we camp in interesting times.

My rusty old 1971 VW camper bus looks very out of place here; it is though the Kaczynski cabin was placed right in the middle of a sea of huge “Class A” motor homes. Although the old VW and I camp together quite often, we normally camp in isolated campgrounds administered by the U.S. Forest Service and shun KOA campgrounds.

This is the land of Class “A” motor homes, fifth-wheels and Cummins turbo-powered Dodge Rams. I have left the land of the Subaru.
There is not a kayak or “Support Public Radio” decal within miles. I can’t believe that I am here.

Although I am camping by myself, I am not alone; the campsites are packed together so closely that I feel as if I am camping with my neighbors instead of next to them. “The call of the wild” has been reduced to words made of adhesive vinyl letters, affixed to the fiberglass exterior of a shiny new recreational vehicle parked within arms reach of my campsite.

Campsites are normally quite expensive for a solo camper, but today I am being thrifty. I am camping here because KOA is running a promotion.
In order to kick off the camping season, give a poke to their customer base and garner new converts, Kampgrounds Of America (KOA) has invited their customers (and potential customers) to camp for free on a special night of the year. That night is tonight, Friday, May 12th, 2006.

After reading a press release, I signed up over the internet for the promotion and was rewarded with a free, reserved campsite. By doing so, I had saved $34.00 and had entered a parallel camping universe.

At barely 40 miles from my home, this Petaluma KOA campground is very convenient for me. It is also ideally situated to provide the perfect base camp for travelers who wish to tour San Francisco and visit California ’s Napa Valley wine country. This campground is well landscaped with planted redwood trees, good signage and has all mod cons.

In addition to Wi-Fi (which I adore), this campground has a clean heated pool, a petting zoo and a mini-mart stocked with an impressive selection of California wines. There are dozens of diminutive “Kamping Kabins” (wooden log cabins) for those who would rather not camp and a separate (but equal) grassy tenting area for those who prefer to “rough it”.

The tenters seem to be mostly touristic Europeans in sandals. The brightly uniformed staff of the Petaluma KOA could not possibly be more helpful, professional or pleasant. However, my camping experience might be a bit more pleasant if I were not surrounded by a herd of camping amateurs.

They’re nice enough people, but many of them lack the common sense and manners of the more seasoned campers that I am accustomed to.
This is camping amateur hour.

My fellow campers have not yet learned the rules, skills and customs of camping. They wander around the campsite in their pajamas. They cut right across other peoples campsites. They force daylight to the nighttime with powerful lanterns that eliminate any starry ambience and are similar high-crime area street lights. Their subwoofer-bedecked stereos play wretched pop music of the variety so adored by the youth of today.

These folks couldn’t make a proper campfire if their lives depended upon it. To my horror, they are grilling their beefy dinners on propane stoves instead of over Mesquite charcoal. Let us say that their lack of a camping skill set provides plenty of room for growth.

Camping is an activity where pets are welcome. I am rewarded to see leashed dogs of all persuasions. In the morning, bleary-eyed campers shuffled right by in pajamas and slippers being led by their sniffing pets.

Dogs out having morning walkies with their masters invariably brought howls of protest from all the other dogs; these camping currs had apparently not read the “no barking before 7:00 am” rule.

My KOA campmates have no shortage of children. These kids are not armed with butterfly nets, a magnifying glass and the curiosity of the young naturalists of yore, these kids are of the city variety, kids who have not yet tied a bowline knot or ever gone on a snipe hunt. They have never poked in ponds for minnows; the only fish that most of these children know is named “Nemo”.

I worry that not only are my campmates not my people, that their kids are not my people either. Don’t get me wrong; with the sole exception of the lone camping curmudgeon writing this, everybody in this campground is very, very nice.

Despite my snooty preconceptions about campers who do not know their knots, my KOA camping companions are indeed doing something quite positive for their kids by camping together as a family, even when no wildflower identification or star gazing is involved. Their kids are having a blast, and this fact helps me to overlook the young family directly across from me who forget to observe the “quiet after midnight” rule.

Kids must have the opportunity to run free, play and explore the outdoors. Camping is the ideal activity to foster this, and there are plenty of other kids to run around with and plenty of parents to keep a watchful eye on all of them.

Family camping in any form instills lifelong pleasant memories and it is simple, honest and (most importantly) unscheduled fun. Family camping is far superior to typical suburban lifestyle which can be a subtle prison of hurried pace and endless regimented activities. Schedules and digital clocks are useless in a campground.

With any luck, kids will learn to appreciate the outdoors and develop their own camping habits and traditions. They will eventually learn their knots, the names of the birds and will eventually discover camping in the far less congested National Forest campgrounds, away from the streetlights and propane grills of the KOA.

KOA camping is not really my cup of chai, but I am convinced that any camping is better than no camping at all. Even with my misgivings about the KOA kamping koncept, I am very hopeful for the future of family camping.

And with free WiFi at my campsite and KOA’s clean flush toilets, I have a new appreciation. I most certainly will return. (But only if it is free)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:57 pm

LOL
This reminds of our stay at a KOA in Pocatello, ID......that place is the FRIGGIN TWILIGHT ZONE!!!

And the KOA had a skiddish Greyhound Bus Station feeling to it...it was creepy.

At least we got to do some laundry after being on the road two weeks.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:38 pm

I spent a bit of time in various KOA and KOA-like campgrounds over the years when I was growing up. We'd have some 2-3 week trips, and while we "camped" (17-foot RV trailer towed with an Aerostar) in state parks fairly often, we'd typically overnight at a KOA every couple-three days for the laundromat, showers and 110V hookup (to charge the RV battery). Also camped at one outside Bakersfield when we were down there visiting my great aunt because it gave us a good base of operations without imposing on her hospitality. It just isn't quite .. camping. Which is probably why they're called KOA Kampgrounds. LOL.

I've driven *past* the one in Petaluma and it looks decent. But since I lived in Santa Rosa until a few years ago there was never a reason to stay there .. 'specially not with Sugarloaf and Austin Creek state parks nearby.

Don't be such a curmudgeon about it .. I bought a Westy, so I guess I turned out fine. :P

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Kamping at KOA

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:25 pm

static wrote:I am logging in from the KOA campground in Petaluma , Sonoma County , California.
Embarassing Story Alert:

When my wife & I were 19 I had just gotten an old E350 Van with wood paneling & a fold out bed. We decided to go for a ride (I really miss going for rides in Petaluma). We drove around and smoked a few and eventually came across the KOA Campground (about midnight). Since we had hit the store and had food, beer & water we decided to stay the night for fun. We went to our assigned spot and it looked like absolutely no one was around. We sat goofed around & smoked & drank and one thing led to another.:sex: Since no one was around we had some fun on the picnic table. Well we woke up about 12 the next day and the place was packed all around us but not immediately up to us. Like a clear circle for a hundred yards around us but everything outside of the circle was packed with families & campers. :pale: We have no idea if the campers & people were there the night before. But we know they had to be. We left quickly assuming everyone got a free show the previous night. :downtown:

Ahhhhhh Youth.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Thats GREAT!!!!!!!!

"well, we thought it was our own kitchen table occifer"
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:17 pm

Only things I really miss about Petaluma are Deaf Dog, shows at the Phoenix, and an occasional tour of Lagunitas Brewing. The rest of the town .. meh. If it weren't for the Phoenix, Petaluma'd have less going for it than Santa Rosa, which is almost unpossible.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 pm

tristessa wrote:Only things I really miss about Petaluma are Deaf Dog, shows at the Phoenix, and an occasional tour of Lagunitas Brewing. The rest of the town .. meh. If it weren't for the Phoenix, Petaluma'd have less going for it than Santa Rosa, which is almost unpossible.
The Pheonix had some of the best shows ever. I saw Fugazi & Skankin' Pickle there.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Sluggo wrote:The Pheonix had some of the best shows ever. I saw Fugazi & Skankin' Pickle there.
Biggest shows I ever caught at the Phoenix was NoMeansNo on the Mr. Happy and Worldhood tours. Also saw Samiam, Victim's Family and a bunch of semi-shitty local bands. Ever go on the balcony? I got weirded out up there during the Mr. Happy show, stuck to the main floor (specifically the Pit) after that and have the scars to prove it. :blackeye:

Also saw NMN at Inn of the Beginning in Cotati a couple times, here in Portland last spring, and am massively looking forward to seeing 'em again in November. :bounce:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:57 pm

tristessa wrote:
Sluggo wrote:The Pheonix had some of the best shows ever. I saw Fugazi & Skankin' Pickle there.
Biggest shows I ever caught at the Phoenix was NoMeansNo on the Mr. Happy and Worldhood tours. Also saw Samiam, Victim's Family and a bunch of semi-shitty local bands. Ever go on the balcony? I got weirded out up there during the Mr. Happy show, stuck to the main floor (specifically the Pit) after that and have the scars to prove it. :blackeye:

Also saw NMN at Inn of the Beginning in Cotati a couple times, here in Portland last spring, and am massively looking forward to seeing 'em again in November. :bounce:
No Means No is GREAT! I love the album they did with Jello Biafra. I really liked Victims Family. My Wife & I used to play "White Bread Blues" over & over. I can't find a copy of it anywhere now.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 pm

Sluggo wrote: No Means No is GREAT! I love the album they did with Jello Biafra. I really liked Victims Family. My Wife & I used to play "White Bread Blues" over & over. I can't find a copy of it anywhere now.
Heh. I've still got the "Maybe If I" 7" I bought at the show someplace, and I looked online a bit and found a few copies of WBB for sale .. but sticker shock! Check it out:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=%22 ... e&ct=title

NoMeansNo's new disc, All Roads Lead To Ausfahrt, kicks butt. See 'em live while you still can -- they're booked for October 25th (Wednesday) at the Knitting Factory on Hollywood Blvd in LA. Tour schedule and everything else is at nomeanswhatever.com

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:12 pm

tristessa wrote:See 'em live while you still can -- they're booked for October 25th (Wednesday) at the Knitting Factory on Hollywood Blvd in LA. Tour schedule and everything else is at nomeanswhatever.com
Perfect! I know people there!

Back on topic (sorry for stealing your very good thread).

Is there any place good to camp around L.A. I know it sounds like a stupid question. But even remotely close?

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:21 pm

Sluggo wrote:I know it sounds like a stupid question. But even remotely close?
While I've got no idea offhand, I know that Google can be your friend sometimes when you're trying to find stuff. :joker:

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 am

Is there any place good to camp around L.A. I know it sounds like a stupid question. But even remotely close?
Here are three of my favorites:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacfic ... amp-o-alto

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacfic ... es%20creek

http://www.rockymountainrec.com/camp/pa ... yoseco.htm

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:44 pm

Even though I was a scout leader for 3 years, I'm still a rank amateur when it comes to camping. Without my morning coffee I'm completely useless. So propane stove and coffee are #1 priority.

I do know how to make a campfire, though I still need leaves and matches (or cheat with a long handled lighter).

I've had busses for a few years now and have YET to take one camping. I feel deprived.

:(

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:34 pm

DurocShark wrote:I do know how to make a campfire, though I still need leaves and matches (or cheat with a long handled lighter).
Heh. Last couple times we had a campfire, I cheated with some 87-octane "joy juice". But since I was the resident pyro on staff at scoutcamp, I know how to do that safely. :compress: