What film did you rent or see last night?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: What film did you rent or see last night?

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:41 pm

"Man On Wire". A documentary about Philipe Petit, a french high wire artist who strung and walked a wire at the top of and between the two towers of the World Trade Center in 1974. Amazing, and chilling.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 pm

The Union: the business of getting high

Great documentary about marijuana. If you have had any questions, or if you just think you already know it all about cannabis, it's worth the 90 minutes. Netflix has it on instant play.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 am

"The King's Speech", which is available as a DVD here in China. Superb!

(This DVD originates as a "screener" copy, if you happen to know what that is)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 am

Booty Call, National Lampoon. Surprisingly a bit better than the obvious prurient interest initial attraction to the title, which wasn't disappointed. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

neal

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 am

Freakonomics

Interesting to say the least...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152822/
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 am

Love The Beast
What if you were a Hollywood movie star with an obsession for cars and racing? You would probably read every script with even the tiniest link to the subject matter, in the hope that you could tell a great car story of the likes of "Grand Prix", "Le Mans" or "Mad Max". Then one day you happened to open your garage door and sitting there, right in front of you, was the film you had been searching for. This is what happened to Eric Bana and this time around, the co-star is his very own Ford GT Falcon Coupe- THE BEAST. Eric realized the story was in fact, about him, his first car, a lifetime of ownership and a lifetime of friendship. He set about documenting his own 25 year long love story. A simple tale of one man's ongoing relationship with his very first car. After years of precious restoration, Eric and his 3 closest friends, decided to enter the car into one of the most grueling and dangerous motor races that exists: The Targa Tasmania Rally. This would be a personal Everest for both man and machine, until...on day 4 of the race, tragedy strikes. The man who was hell bent on trying to convey how much he and those around him loved "THE BEAST", had just destroyed it. Eric has now unwillingly cast himself in his own real life drama. We follow him from inside the race car to the surreal world of the red carpet. This compelling true story follows Eric's progression as a car lover, and as a person conflicted by what he has done. The personal and social pressures mount up in the face of re building a car that means so much to him. Along the way Eric seeks guidance and wisdom from not only the inner sanctum of his 3 life long friends but also Jay Leno, Jeremy Clarkson, and Dr Phil.

this movie is a must see for anyone that connects to their vehicles the way that many of us do in the bus community.
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice (2008)

Very silly, very predictable, but I love Bob Newhart, and the hero is a librarian.

neal

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

"The Kids Are All Right", which was worthwhile, if a bit silly, annoying and largely on mark.
Bonus: Baywindow campers in backgrounds in a couple of places within the film.
(That, and quite a bit of hot sex, should one be interested in such things.)

Oh, and also: "La Vielle dame et les pigeons" which is by the same guy as "The Triplets Of Belleville", and is another worthwhile stoner movie.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:52 pm

"True Grit"

Amazing. Jeff Bridges is god. Supporting actors fantastic. Costumes and sets very, very well done. Highly recommended. Not for the squeamish.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm

"Captitalism: A Love Story". Michael Moore. Regardless of your political leanings, a must-watch.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 pm

static wrote:"True Grit"

Amazing. Jeff Bridges is god. Supporting actors fantastic. Costumes and sets very, very well done. Highly recommended. Not for the squeamish.

I don't know why, but I didn't feel like giving this movie a chance when I first came across it, but it turned out to be really well done.
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:51 am

static wrote:"True Grit"

I really liked "True Grit". I actually went to a multi-plex theater and paid money. It's probably been a decade since the last time.

And like airkooledchris, when I first heard the movie was released I was confused, a remake of a John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn classic? Why bother. I was dismissive. Eventually information filtered down and I became aware that it was a Coen Brothers movie.

Say no more!

Loved the turns of dialogue evocative of the era. Truly gritty, and Jeff Bridges is the dude of gods.

But that wasn't what I watched tonight. Apparently the "Librarian" epochs were a made for television series of three produced. So tonight I watched the first of the three, vs, the third of the series I had watched the other night.

Was grateful Bob Newhart was still involved, which is what caught my attention in the first place. They have fun with the genre, and Jane Curtin is another natural draw for me. Being the son of a Librarian, it rocks.

Bob's first fight scene is a classic, but I also have to say that dialogue such as "They're in cahoots...." "I've been cahooted." and "I don't see much cahooting going on." made it for me.

Sure it's cheap compared to the eloquent turns of phrases in "True Grit", but it was made for TV movies, and cahoot is a funny word. "The Librarian" series gets a big thumbs up of fun from me.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 am

The original is just an above average western. I saw it about a month ago. There's some nice tension between Rooster Cogburn and the young accomplice, and John Wayne is colorful.
The one I saw last night is the Illusionist. It's not for everyone, but the cartoon characters and the background paintings and attention to details are very, very well done.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:07 am

Rewatched the Bourne Series

While the shaky cam gets a bit old, it's still such a solid series performance wise.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

corvette summer - free ondemand
60 beetle
78 bus