More hubcap art

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Latest one

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:34 am

I did this in memory of the 1963 Kombi in the junkyard. This I found in December on it's way to the crusher:

I pulled off the ID plates, and will attach them on the back of the hubcap, with a small picture of the real 1037376.

And so, the 63 Kombi lives on, looking new and still driving the roads. There is nothing like a Kombi being driven by a skeleton.
Old Busses never die, they just drive away.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:57 pm

=D>
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm

That's great! I really like both the story and the painting.
Your art would look great on really big posters.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:11 pm

hambone wrote:That's great! I really like both the story and the painting.
Your art would look great on really big posters.
I'd be sued big time. I am trying to make my own brand of things, once I get a thousand or so of these hubcaps painted I think I'll have it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Back side of the 1963 Kombi hubcap. I think from now on I will save parts of junkyard Busses and attach them to a small painting of itself. I guess the next one will be that yellow Ghia, since I did get 3 hubcaps from it.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:28 am

I wanted to capture the Road Warrior as my next weird hubcap art. After I painted the 1963 Kombi as driving down the road for many more years, I felt inspired to do the same with Colin's Bus. And so, from a shot from his travels, I made this in about a day. Not a duplicate of the original shot, but hey it wasn't supposed to be. I have to get better paints too.

I did want to ask Colin where this was, I think I remember something about Shoshone somewhere. Here is the picture I got it from.

Image[/img]

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Dayam! You're really getting good at this stuff, Sylvester.

That was (choke, choke) on the road from Pahrump to Shoshone after visiting my still alive dad with his still alive Steinway in my still alive bus . . .
:pale:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Dayam! You're really getting good at this stuff, Sylvester.

That was (choke, choke) on the road from Pahrump to Shoshone after visiting my still alive dad with his still alive Steinway in my still alive bus . . .
I was going to stencil in "Road Warrior" on the side, hence the lack of vegetation. Notice your clock on the dash, and your license plate number. The blue was all I had, it is crappy and too glossy, I may redo it. Thanks for the compliment Colin, we may have to auction this one off for IAC server funds.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Dayam! You're really getting good at this stuff, Sylvester.

I was going to stencil in "Road Warrior" on the side, hence the lack of vegetation. Notice your clock on the dash, and your license plate number. The blue was all I had, it is crappy and too glossy, I may redo it. Thanks for the compliment Colin, we may have to auction this one off for IAC server funds.
Ah just as well we don't have to put warrior notions in that art.
Saw the clock and barely the license plate. We'll have to get the manufacturers plate off the carcass and put it in the hubcap art.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:51 am

Latest one, I call it "Samantha the Bus Pilot on top of Samantha, my Bus" or something like that. My feeble attempt at a human in paint again, and my Bus makes a cameo appearance.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 am

I like those curls in her hair. Nifty.
Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am

From that picture Samantha looks chunky, and the Bus looks like a pink Vanagon. It is the curve of the cap that makes it so, really.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Latest one

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Sylvester wrote:I did this in memory of the 1963 Kombi in the junkyard. This I found in December on it's way to the crusher:

I pulled off the ID plates, and will attach them on the back of the hubcap, with a small picture of the real 1037376.

And so, the 63 Kombi lives on, looking new and still driving the roads. There is nothing like a Kombi being driven by a skeleton.
Old Busses never die, they just drive away.
Lo and behold someone got that Bus out of the pull a part! It won't die! I have the plates though!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1625541025.html

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:34 am

I finished this one, I started it some time ago and never did complete it until this weekend. If I do a Japanese flag, that will certainly be easier, heh.

zabo
Old School!

Re: Latest one

Post by zabo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:30 am

Sylvester wrote: Lo and behold someone got that Bus out of the pull a part! It won't die! I have the plates though!
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1625541025.html

It was still at pull a part this weekend- seems a little fishy 8)
60 beetle
78 bus