Camp meals!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Camp meals!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Hey guys - Don't know if you all feel like sharing, but...I'm going on an extended road trip and have to plan meals, which got me to thinking... What do other VW camper driving fools eat while they're on the road? Any great meals you (or your S.O.) would like to share? There's the standard spaghetti dinner or KD, but...

I'll get things started...

I always have a little meal I like to call
"just add water"
Instant mashed potatoes
Instant Stuffing (admit it, you love it!)
Instant gravy
a can of creamed corn
and some sort of chicken grilled.

The good thing about this is if you nix the meat, it's actually vegetarian! (if you read the ingredients in many instant gravies, there's no meat!)

or
Fajitas
Fajita seasoning and Chicken or beef
and/or refried beans in a can (for the veg heads..)
salsa
sour cream
tortillas

precut put into baggies:
tomatoes
Avocado (put lime juice on it so it won't brown)
cheese
Mushrooms
Red pepper (or whatever colour you prefer)

chop up some onions, grill em up, add mushrooms. Add peppers last.
Do meat separately - use the seasoning as directed. (I put some of the seasoning on the veggies as well)

heat the tortilla on the grill, and fill it up!

mmmm.... :partyman: don't forget the Coronas with lime!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

kool aid
Getting Hooked!

Post by kool aid » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:26 pm

That sounds like a gormet meal compared to what I usually have. I buy the cup O noodles and viola'. Of course, it does get old but I like to spice it up with tobasco.
:king:

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:19 pm

tabasco makes anything better. I think? Especially the CHIPOLTE! OH YUMMY!! :cherry:
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 pm

Anything we have at home we have on the road. I am about to go camping for a week with my wife and basically we will have all sorts of goodies. Cereal in the AM with fruit and yogurts, cheese and meats at lunch with fruits and salads, steak, chicken, brats over the open fire, burritos, salad for dinners. Throw a couple freeze dried add water and heat kinds of meals and we will be set for a week. This time around we are heating more healthy so less carbs and better for you snacks. Plain nuts and some low carb bars. Can'y wait to get done with our low carb diet so I can go veggie. Low Carb is great to lose weight but I do not want to stay on it forever. Just get to the weight we want to be and then eat more sensible diets, mostly veggie and once in a while meats.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:25 am

If it can go on a grill it goes in the bus. And lots of Top Ramen and potatoes...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:41 am

Cold sandwiches.

(No stove.)

heh

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:06 am

sheesh! remind me to bring my own food if I ever go camping with you guys! :tongue: heh heh.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:22 am

I like to stock my camping larder with several precooked or precut raw foods. Many meals can be based around these. Steamed or baked potatoes (these can also be prepared in the campfire for the next day) are great for hash browns or part of a stir fry dinner. Brown rice stored in a plastic container. Precut veggies like bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, summer squash, carrots. Lots of fresh garlic, whole or chopped. Salad lettuce can be prepared for several days at a time and stored in ziploc bags in the cooler.

We often stir fry on our one burner portable stove using an iron skillet. I sautee the vegetables first and set them aside in a separate bowl while cooking diced chicken or steak in the frying pan. When the meat is done I add potatoes or rice, heat, and then re-add the vegetables. Done!

Quick cooking pastas like egg noodles or vermicelli are excellent. Add your favorite sauce or cream of mushroom soup.

Amishman, your approach is very much like mine, except we generally cook oatmeal for breakfast. Add raisens and nuts. I don't like washing the pan, but the instant stuff is usually too sweet. Hard boiled eggs are good for trips where cooking is difficult, either precooked or at a campsite. Cold cereals and milk are convenient. Sliced bread and sandwich meat, cheese, lettuce are easy and require no stove. Watch out for bread going moldy in hot vehicles.

Basic kitchen for cooking includes stove (optional if fires allowed), frying pan, 2 qt or larger sauce pan, sharp knife, cutting board, spatula, spoon, can opener, coffee making implements of your choice. I recommend paper towels, a dish towel, and a hot pad.
71 bus, 74 westy

Tex33M
I'm New!

Post by Tex33M » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:52 am

Coffee and pancakes!!!
Who needs more???
Mae the 76 Westy
2.0L of Fuel Injected Fury

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:32 pm

Soup Sandwiches!
Browned ground beef
Campbells Vegetable undiluted
Simmer together
Pour over two slices of wheat bread.
Yummy!

Foil Packs!
Hamburger Patty
Sliced onion
Sliced potatoes
Sliced Carrots
Mushrooms
Campbells Mushroom Soup
Wrap in foil & toss on the coals for 45 min
Yum Yum

It always taste better outside!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Tasty Bites (or Trader Joes brand) Indian food, ready cooked in pouches. Hell, you can make a zillion things with just a bag of fresh produce...

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:05 pm

Damn... I am hungry now! :spam1:

hehehehe

I am about to head out on Friday for a week of camping and stocking my Syncro Westy now. We have all sorts of good stuff. Crappy part is the wife and I are on this Low Carb deal.. :pukeleft: I could live on BREAD alone. Driving me nuts but I am losing weight. The wife has lost 13 pounds and I have lost 15 between 1/2 the time was veggie and then to make life easier, went to Low Carb with the wife so we could do dinners together, etc... Once we hit the weights we want to be at, we will go mostly a veggie diet and well balanced to keep weight off. We will try to be good while camping but SMORES does sound good.

:compress:

Happy eating!

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 pm

if you dont have a stove buy a coleman propane stove... it can be quite handy... and the propane is pretty cheap and readily available at any walmart if you run out. i can cook anything in my bus... or outside for that matter... when i go camping with the vw crew they usually even have generators and airconditioners that they bring along... so there are good variaties of breakfast burritos, lunch burgers/sausages, and dont forget your blender for the mixed drinks!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 pm

I just got a Coleman Party Grill that doubles as a stove and fits easily under the seat in it's own clean pouch. Convenient as hell and easy to clean. Only issue is limited heat control when grilling, but any small grill has that issue.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:42 pm

My wife got me a baby Webber gas grill a few years ago. It can grill just about anything. I usually bring along a variety of sausages, lamb chops, kabobs... Geeze I'm getting hungry! I even do grilled cheese sandwiches on it for my non-carnivorous friends.
-John
Keep it acoustic.