What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 am

Reviving and old thread. This morning I heard The Wallflowers "One Headlight" and it brought back memories about my first VW, my 1970 Super Beetle. Orange and in need of everything, it taught me how to work on VW's myself or at least try. When this song was being played on the radio, my Bug had a wiring issue and indeed a lot of the time have one headlight. When I hear the song now I remember all the good times and bad with that bug, and wondered if others have specific songs with VW situations that they think of when a song plays from long ago?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:21 am

Hotel California

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 am

Sylvester wrote: wondered if others have specific songs with VW situations that they think of when a song plays from long ago?
Hearing anything by CSN(&Y) or John Prine reminds me of helping a buddy from work rebuild his 411 engine back in the early '80s. He had never worked on an air-cooled VW before, and my only experience was with my '72 Super Beetle, so we were both in over our heads with that strange engine.
Somehow we got it all buttoned up and drivable for him to get to work the next morning, though there was an awful lot of piston slap going on. I think we probably installed at least one piston backwards. Still remember his s**t-eating grin when the engine first fired up with a roar sometime after 2 AM. :cyclopsani:

Oh and how could I forget listening to Audience! Their rendition of I Put a Spell on You puts everyone else's to shame: Screamin' Jay and CCR included.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm

My Super looked something like this. When I bought it, the front bumper was in the back seat!

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:51 pm

The '65 Beetle I used to own always seemed to run .. happier .. when I was cranking music sung in German on the stereo. Rammstein, Nina Hagen, Wagnerian opera, Blutengel...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Squarebacks bring me back to Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick".
Dual carb buses, ELO "Starlight Callin'".
Beetles, Sheena Easton "Morning Train"
Listening right now to Cold Play "Clocks"
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Oh man! "Thick as a Brick" came on in my bus one time and my dad reached over and smacked the mute button double quick. Something about "smoking' too many doobies at Uncle Dave's house listening to this on repeat…"

My bus doesn't particularly care about the country of musical origin. Why, last month I took a lady friend in my German car to eat Italian food, and see an American orchestra play Russian music orchestrated by a Frenchman. :drunken: We listened to some throw-away pop on the way there. :bootyshake:

At the moment, I've recently discovered the David Grisman quintet. Some wonderful pickin' and plucking' going on there!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:08 pm

asiab3 wrote:Oh man! "Thick as a Brick" came on in my bus one time and my dad reached over and smacked the mute button double quick. Something about "smoking' too many doobies at Uncle Dave's house listening to this on repeat…"
Over in my universe circa May 1977, just after skipping my last class, I drove a friend's 1968 blue/white Squareback from Massachusetts to Vermont, got a safety inspection, and got back just in time for evening curfew.
Thick As A Brick, followed by Aqualung, I was with another crazy friend with poor impulse control and a 6 pack, not sure we should have survived.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:35 pm

I just signed up for Apple Music and this is my first subscription to a music streaming service. Having unlimited access to music is like being a kid in a candy store because I love discovering music I like. Streaming is so convenient and cheap, it might become the new way a majority of the people enjoy music. Anyway, I’m in the process of turning on to Golden Smog.

I hope everyone is getting their bus road-trip plans for 2016 ready! I’m becoming excited to go camping. :bounce:

Chris
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:02 am

BellePlaine wrote:I just signed up for Apple Music and this is my first subscription to a music streaming service. Having unlimited access to music is like being a kid in a candy store because I love discovering music I like. Streaming is so convenient and cheap, it might become the new way a majority of the people enjoy music. Anyway, I’m in the process of turning on to Golden Smog.

I hope everyone is getting their bus road-trip plans for 2016 ready! I’m becoming excited to go camping. :bounce:

Chris
I tried Spotify this year, and I'm continually impressed with how up-to-date the new releases are, as well as with their curated radio stations.

Spotify falls flat on its face when faced with classical music, jazz, or any music where one might search by composer instead of performing artist. I have music that I composed on iTunes easily searchable under my name, but on Spotify the songs are there, but they do not show up in search. I think Apple music streaming will eventually win over in this regard, because I don't want to buy six recordings of Brahms' Violin Concerto to find which version I like best. And I don't want to endlessly browse Spotify because searching "Brahms" doesn't yield even half of his music.

Semantics, I guess? We should be thankful we live in such a time. :)
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 am

I remember getting my 71 Bus Big Red running after the engine rebuild. I put my son in the back and played Redbone "Come and get your love". O drove all over the subdivision testing the Bus listening to that song.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:09 am

A vinyl copy of Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On is spinning in the room next to me while I work from home today. So much nicer than a cubicle!

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:10 am

asiab3 wrote: At the moment, I've recently discovered the David Grisman quintet. Some wonderful pickin' and plucking' going on there!

Robbie
I've seen the DGQ a few times; amazing musicians...dawg music he calls it. My favorite music festival I ever attended was at Squaw Valley in the summer of '91. Taking the gondola up the mountain to see Grisman was awesome....oh yeah, there was also a guy named Jerry Garcia playing as well :cheers:

As for what I'm listening to right now, Lake Street Dive.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:58 am

I am compliling a list of late 60's early 70's music for when we take the Bus on the road this spring. So far I have Come and get Your Love by Redbone, Trucking by the Dead, No Sugar Tonight by the Guess Who, Magic Bus by the Who. And lot of Beatles.

Any other suggestions for a late 60's early 70's vibe?