What VW related stuff are you doing this weekend?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Well, my VW chore for the weekend is done. :cheers: The bus is now charging once again and ready for the road in two weeks. Wasn't nearly as daunting a task as I remember it being the first time. Now to go get my new case spic and span.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Sorry for the extended post ?? I don,t do weekends like most, working to please the tourist trade on Fri, Sat & Sun. But on Mon I coated my bumper with a product not dry yet ??? Humitity , no doubt a factor and installing new rubber engine seal around apron and hatch door. The engine compartment looks so clean Im proud, but makes the trim paint around out side look really "Tacky" Will have to wait for new paint job after Arctic trip.. I need to find small oil leek around dip stick and install lower tin underneath push rods. Need to take him to higher ground to jack up and have better access. New seat covers and pads are a waiting with new rubber stand pads from Wolsfburg West, lost in shipping last year and went to Kansas before I could. AS always with these great vehicles, never a moment of , Whats Next??? Love It
:bounce:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:25 am

Elwood wrote:AS always with these great vehicles, never a moment of , Whats Next??? Love It
:bounce:
So how is Elwood running?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks for asking Colin. Have not driven him far off the Mtn. yet, have to finish off lower tin and engine seal--- next two days. But I was really pleased at him starting right up and shifting so smooth after new center pin and linkage you put in last fall. Also stock muffler and heater boxes sound soooo right!!!! Took a few back dirt roads and all I got to say is--watch out Arctic here we come :flower:

PS--Will do compression test after some UGGG freeway driving and report back at results. Im prepared to do a rebuild of this engine or the one in waiting. Talk about devotion to the "Hobby" 8) Barb

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:50 pm

I have been busy with unexpected bus business all weekend that I didn't know would be happening. The Westy cabinet I bought has transferred hands from the seller in Utah to a Samba member who is putting it in his moving truck and driving to SoCal. We have planned a rendevous along his route near my town. Crossing my fingers all goes well. I also took loads of photos of my Westfalia and put 42 of them online in a photo album site. It can be challenging photographing inside the camper.
71 bus, 74 westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Wow Robin-BirdiBus, thats good news! Sure hope so for you. When you asked me for shipping experiance, I could only tell you of my experiances of yester-yore and knowledge of recent rules. However as I said to you in pms, the terrorist sitch has really tightened up the dead -head owner operators from state to state and is a real problem across country borders. I mention this because of Arctic trip personal pilot connection for parts that may be needed.

Hope you receive your parts in good condition. Barb

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:35 am

Well, I didn't get to my garage. Something about family wanting to do stuff together over the holidays... :blob:

I did get the door panels finished and installed and the seat belt receivers extended to fit my fat butt.

I'm going out in a few to tackle the stop plate and the front shifter bushing. That's something that's been bugging the crap out of me for a while and it's a priority.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 pm

I bought a well-loved/worn '71 Deluxe, because the westy is just too damn reliable and pretty.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Elwood wrote:
hambone wrote:Nothing this weekend, but I have camped a zillion times this summer, to some crazy places. My new LT tires make a world of difference, not to mention the correct distributor.
I'll write a nice story about the summer with pics, some day when I'm not lazy...
Just heard that my friend Eric with the '74 is almost at the Oregon border. We took his bus to hell and back before he left, so it's Flight Certified without a doubt. Our last trip last weekend was up an old road called the Abbot Road, 1920s vintage dirt/boulder mix hugging the extreme side of a mountain. I pooped myself 100 times. 6 miles in 1st gear! We worked on abandoned trails in the area. Also stuck my hand in a big pile of bear poop by accident, a big black huckleberry filled blob, smelled just like rotting leaves.
Wonder how many Oregon folks are on this site? It would be an interesting survey, by state.

Ok Hambone besides sticking your hand in a pile of bear crap :cyclopsani:

Iam thinking you still drive the '69 single port? right? What are the tires you speak of and the "correct distributor" ? My driving choices sound much like yours and would really like to know. Here on this forum!

Thanks, Barb
Hey Barb, sorry just got back to WERK..
Yes, a 1600 SP. Good stuff. Lots of torque for mountain low-gear driving. It handles like a jeep, especially in 1-2 gears. I got those Les Schwab "Wild Country LT" tires, very beefy tread and stiff sidewalls. Ditch the car tires if you have em', they aren't safe. Tires are expensive though...but worth it.
I ditched the 009 for a Vaccum Advance, here's the specs I was provided with (thanx to Randy in Maine):

Bus & Pickup 1969-1970 * 1600

Distributor: VW 113-905-205T, Bosch 0231 137 035 or 036
Can Use: VW 113-905-205M, Bosch 0231 137 021
Timing Set At:: 0deg TDC Static or @ 800-950rpm w/strobe w/vacuum hose disconnected and plugged
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum (Advance Only): 17-19deg @ 1.3 In. Hg, 32-35deg @ 3.2 In. Hg

I set mine statically, and use points. Runs much cooler and very peppy all around. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll see if I have any answers! Well, good ones at least.
Are you ever going to post a pic with you and your bus? :colors:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 pm

It's amazing how well busses (and ACVWs in general) do in rugged off road conditions.

I need to Line-X the rockers and wheel wells of the Guac before I get too carried away though. heh.

Out of all the things I listed to do, here's what I ended up getting accomplished:

Finished and installed door panels
Extended retractable seat belt receivers
Oil change
Shifter rebuild
Updated website with the above stuff

That's it. Sigh.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:32 am

Thunderstorms the last two days have delayed my planned projects, I dream of having a large garage or better yet, a warehouse for all my "To Do's" and here it is Sept already. Going to work on setting up a table inside my cabin to work on seat recovering and possible engine rebuild if needed. This forces me to take alot of stuff to the Church and Help Center to make room. It is a Good Thing!

Hambone, thanks for the tire and distributor info. I went to link you put on tech site and the closest tire place to me is over 300 mi away but will call to see if they can ship. And you may never see a picture of me :geek: but someday, if I take the time to focus, I will learn to post some of Elwood and do a little show and tell :alien:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:05 pm

You can get em' shipped from Bus Depot as well. Or, road trip time!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:30 pm

Front calipers and hoses replaced. More heater renovation, replacing all the rotted metal distribution trees with 3" exhaust pipe. Making the one that splits the heat for the front and rear of the bus now. I'm gonna eliminate the one that comes out in the middle of the floor as I'm gonna put some sort of flooring in. The one that comes out between the seats in the walkthru I'll keep. I'm not even gonna try and rig a cable controlled flap there! I think I'm just gonna use a sand filled tube of cloth to block it when I have no passengers, to keep all heat up front.

Bill

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 pm

My vw fun for the weekend will involve a waterfall, a campout, a good show and swap meet and what makes it more than worth the 1000+ (and i dont want to know how much gas) I will drive this weekend... the numerous irreplaceable VW friends I have acquired all over the country to be there at my side! =D>

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:40 pm

Diving into my neatral safety switch
maybe a welfare valve adjustment
rub bus with diaper and thank it for getting me to the places that I want to go :bounce: (and back)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"