And Back To Atlanta

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

And Back To Atlanta

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:21 am

. . . with a raging backache. But the bus is fine. Drove good in the snow too, the heat kept the chill out down to about 24* As a matter of fact, I have been driving the hell out this poor bus. The interior was removed in NY along with all of my books and junk so I can get back to Atlanta to pick up my roll-away tool chest, my drawing desk, file cabinet and old Grandma cabinet, office chairs, summer wheels/tires for the BMW, the Sean Gallagher long block and fan housing, and other garage sundries.
Then back to Rochester with this load. Then back to Atlanta to pick up the Squareback which is also loaded to the bump-stops. Did that Squareback have any idea of what was coming when covelo signed it over to me?

I thought the bus was going to be like driving a dumpster with the interior out. . . not so! Sounds excellent. Very aero. Hasn't yet used a quart of oil since I pulled out of Atlanta. Did a solid non-stop 12 hour 70-75mph from Rochester to Stateside NC yesterday. This engine is running so WELL, I absolutely refuse to pull it. I will continue building the 1700 for 2008, but this clatter-cam razor-mauled Franken-Engine deserves another 15,000 mile summer at least.

Such a handy little 34 year-old classic car to have. :flower:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:39 am

Colin,

You have inspired me to use my bus to move into our house rather than renting a U-Haul. Too bad the Westy interior is not as easy to remove as a passenger interior....
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:04 am

I was trying to help a friend convince his soon-to-be-wife-and-baby's-mama to let him get a bus. Somewhere in the convo she asked, "So could a bus really make it across the country?"
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:12 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Colin,

You have inspired me to use my bus to move into our house rather than renting a U-Haul. Too bad the Westy interior is not as easy to remove as a passenger interior....
The last time we moved, we did it with one borrowed truck and Phred. Phred did most of it and was just fine too.

Wow Colin, I've done x-country moves but not like this one of yours. When I did the CA to TX I rented a 14 ft UHaul one way. After that move, I pared down what I had quite a bit which I consistently do whenever we've had to move. Maybe with the move east (whenever it happens) we can start from scratch except for clothes, garage, kitchen, books, computers and animal stuff? I'd sure love to be able to afford to do that.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 am

I think there's a broken Beetle in Tibet that needs your help, just check behind the yaks. :bom:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:32 am

DjEep wrote:Somewhere in the convo she asked, "So could a bus really make it across the country?"
that's unfortunate that this female is doubtful of the capability of the bus. The man should wear the pants and show her the true powers of the bus.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 am

VWBusrepairman wrote: The man should wear the pants and show her the true powers of the bus.
Spoken like a single guy. :bom:

They do handle amazingly well when they are loaded right to the max, as opposed to most american cars/trucks that handle like a blimp when so loaded.
79 VW Bus

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:51 am

Randy in Maine wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote: The man should wear the pants and show her the true powers of the bus.
Spoken like a single guy. :bom:

They do handle amazingly well when they are loaded right to the max, as opposed to most american cars/trucks that handle like a blimp when so loaded.
I'm the boss; when she isn't here. She handles well too with a max. load. Mmmmmm.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Just pulled into the driveway about an hour ago. Poor bus. Rain and snow for two days of driving. The rock chips have decimated my poor just painted front bumper . The engine is beginning to sound a little ragged after all of this high speed interstate driving. Finally added a half a quart of oil in Pennsylvania.
I am completely goofed up with sunny 75* Atlanta back to 24* snow Rochester. Heater works good though. After an hour of highway driving, it is positively cozy in there.
Must find a ride back to Atlanta. Fly? Greyhound? Fellow forum member?
Colin?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Why's he moving from Atlanta to NY? I'm lost, what's new?

pawesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by pawesty » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:35 am

chitwnvw wrote:Why's he moving from Atlanta to NY? I'm lost, what's new?
i beleive it's, leaving Atlanta and returning to NY.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:Must find a ride back to Atlanta. Fly? Greyhound? Fellow forum member?
Colin?
Atlanta is one of those hopeless places to fly into. No Southwest and no Jetblue. You're stuck paying $1000 on some bankrupt "legacy" airline or you're doomed on Airtran. I would try to hitch a ride (or ask your brother to drive the Squareback up).
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:36 am

covelo wrote: (or ask your brother to drive the Squareback up).
Nobody. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nobody. . . . . . . . . . . . drives that overladen Squareback but moi.
I might try a Greyhound bus. I have to travel with a toolbox back down to Atlanta and airport security might get upset at my test lamp, two razor blades, one regular screwdriver, duct tape the better which to bind up the pilot with (?) assorted sockets as I feverishly try to disassemble the landing gear in flight, and an adjustable wrench to loosen the hydraulic fittings with. Oy. Security. Modern times. Paranoia. Where does it end?
Colin

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:51 am

Is there an express train? So much better than a bus.
71 bus, 74 westy

pawesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by pawesty » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Birdibus wrote:Is there an express train? So much better than a bus.
so true. when i lived in CO i did every form of transportattion known. hitched,drove,flew,bussed,train etc... 4 days on the train, great time. met fun people, fell down in the bar car sneaking some cute bohemian chick cheap wine from my backpack. ah, the memories!