R.I.P. John Prine

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

R.I.P. John Prine

Post by SlowLane » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Coronavirus claims one of the best: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... it-253684/
:cry:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: R.I.P. John Prine

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:53 pm

Fuck. Like I said on someone's Facebook account (Neil?? Tommu?? Who was it??) I'm sorry to learn of the great songs of Jon Prine, like the songs of the late Pete Seeger, too late… I'll be spending the next few nights at home with JP's recordings this week. Along with Bill Withers, (non-Corona-related,) there are several world-class musicians who have passed on recently, and I don't know if I can deal with them all as a stoic…

Can y'all please post some of your favorite JP videos here?
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 pm

This is my favorite, at the moment: Sam Stone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVWEYU ... =emb_title
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am

There are too many great Prine songs to definitively choose a favorite, but Hello In There has got to be in the running. Or Please Don't Bury Me.

Obligatory VW-related content: I was introduced to Prine's music by a co-worker/mentor/friend back in the early 80's one cold October night as we tackled replacing the heads and P&C's on his 411. He had only ever worked on American iron and my VW experience was purely from working on my Beetle (supplemented by the "wealth" of VW lore provided by a steady diet of Dune Buggies & Hot VWs), so it was truly the blind leading the blind. He had to get the car back to operational by the next morning to get to work, so it was an all-night session started just after supper and finishing sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning. We only had two cassette tapes that were put on continuous rotation: John Prine's Prime Prine and Crosby Stills & Nash CSN. Even now the opening strains to Sam Stone or Shadow Captain take me back to that frosty garage.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am

There are too many great Prine songs to definitively choose a favorite, but Hello In There has got to be in the running. Or Please Don't Bury Me.

Obligatory VW-related content: I was introduced to Prine's music by a co-worker/mentor/friend back in the early 80's one cold October night as we tackled replacing the heads and P&C's on his 411. He had only ever worked on American iron and my VW experience was purely from working on my Beetle (supplemented by the "wealth" of VW lore provided by a steady diet of Dune Buggies & Hot VWs), so it was truly the blind leading the blind. He had to get the car back to operational by the next morning to get to work, so it was an all-night session started just after supper and finishing sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning. We only had two cassette tapes that were put on continuous rotation: John Prine's Prime Prine and Crosby Stills & Nash CSN. Even now the opening strains to Sam Stone or Shadow Captain take me back to that frosty garage.

Crosby Stills & Nash are in my DNA and early VW ministrations. Try these new Italian sequesters doing an a cappella rendering of "Helplessy Hoping." It is gorgeous and it gives me hope in this Dark Hour of Imbecility.

https://youtu.be/KtX1r0SzxlI
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:42 am

SlowLane wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am

Too many good ones to list. I'm gonna miss John a lot.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"