Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: What Kind Of Idiot ...

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:15 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm
This whole event has shed a light on parts of the community that just aren't working for me.

A nice little wildfire burns away the underbrush but it does not fell the established trees.
ScorchedColin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Forum user, Glasseye, was unable to connect to the IAC for some reason and he asked that I post this for him:

I haven't ventured over to The Samba. Nor will I. There's nothing pretty about a pack of wolves, circling.

Nor am I aware of any of the details of Colin's brush with the boundaries of acceptable behaviour. I don't care to delve into others' misfortune.

I know Colin quite well from several long and admittedly rambling conversations in campgrounds, garages and parking lots continent-wide and my positive impression of his character has not changed. Nor will it. One mistake does not necessarily lead to others.

Rock on, Colin. And listen closely to those who advise putting things behind you. Beating yourself up won't help.

In the words of an old and valued girlfriend, "Peter, guilt is a waste of time."

Hugs from Western Canada.
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

bradleygt
I'm New!

Post by bradleygt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am

to sin is human, to be forgiven divine
an ounce of prevention is waaay more than a pound of cure

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 am

Romans 3:23 "for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:11 pm

skip wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 am
Romans 3:23 "for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

I need to ask, keep this post for posterity or take it down?

I took it down on the social media platforms because there was a lot of heckling that I did not want to infect others' shares and whatchoocallits with.

This was posted in its stead:
I have deleted a post referring to a recent notorious episode in my life. This decision is to help reduce the load of messages that I have been dutifully scrubbing from our public common. If you have any observations or comments that you would like to share with me personally, I am open to them in Messenger or my PM box on the website. I am chastened, but I also have a job to do, and I intend to do it. I will be removing filters here in a couple of days, and we shall see if more littering occurs, Please bear with me. Life is still truly beautiful, but damn, there are some cold rainy days occasionally. There are people I love here, hello!

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm

I would keep it for posterity, and for those who may ask about it in the future, but I would remove the link to the video from the initial post.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Agreed- lose the video link, allow the other content to stay.

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 pm

In addition, I would remove the link to the samba dumpster fire in the "Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled In NY" thread.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:06 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm
I was disappointed when I first learned of this. Now back online fully to catch up on all of the threads, and I find myself disgusted with some people's responses to it all. The 'old school' VW community has pushed most of the new bus owners over to places away from sites like these and instead over to Facebook/Twitter/IG instead, where the advice is terrible but where all of the old school know-it-all pricks are hovering around looking to bash anyone/anything at the first opportunity to do so.

This whole event has shed a light on parts of the community that just aren't working for me.
“kris”

Just like in 2016, sometimes these events reveal people’s true character, for which we also have to forgive their flaws.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Behind the façade we all present to the world churns a cauldron of failures, insecurities, weaknesses and demons. I cringe at the times my inner idiot came bursting forth, and thank God they aren’t on YouTube getting a hundred thousand views a day.

I hope you didn't rationalize that stealing from a faceless national chain isn't really stealing. When we meet our maker, liberating a cheese stick from a gas station will surely be judged less harshly than snatching a purse from an old lady who just cashed her Social Security check. But in terms of right and wrong, it's binary.

Having experienced your generosity and selflessness personally, I know it's an aberration. It's such a stupid and silly thing to do, repeating the offense where previously caught, makes me think there is something subconsciously self destructive going on.

You have alluded to some dark things in your childhood. To quote Robin Williams' character in Good Will Hunting, it's not your fault. Talk to someone.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:07 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm
Behind the façade we all present to the world churns a cauldron of failures, insecurities, weaknesses and demons. I cringe at the times my inner idiot came bursting forth, and thank God they aren’t on YouTube getting a hundred thousand views a day.