growing out of bus

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: growing out of bus

Post by Jivermo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 am

I spent close to 50 nights in the spartan upstairs Vanagon “loft”, and slept quite well. It’s certainly no Temperpedic affair, but I had good, sound sleeps for the most part, with little in the way of aches and pains when I arose. I did not like the single, front facing screen window in the Vanagon canvas, though. The two side windows in my Bay add a lot, in terms of both visibility and ventilation. Going on the road in either a Bay or a Vanagon Westy is a real treat, and either one takes a period of adjustment, especially with another person or two. Too much stuff can create a real mess in either vehicle, and the need for organization and proper stowage becomes apparently very quickly. If supreme comfort is the determining factor in camping and traveling, then you’re picking the wrong vehicle by going with either one. My opinion is that Westy owners require a bit of deprivation and suffering in their lives to remind us that we are truly alive. Me, being part Russian, understand and embrace this concept with open, if somewhat cramped, arms.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 am

Jivermo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 am
I did not like the single, front facing screen window in the Vanagon canvas, though. The two side windows in my Bay add a lot, in terms of both visibility and ventilation.
This. Yes. Why did they change it!? I almost wish the Van canvas was in worse shape so I could more easily justify replacing it with the aftermarket 3 window style. Maybe someday.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 pm

sped372 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 am
Jivermo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 am
I did not like the single, front facing screen window in the Vanagon canvas, though. The two side windows in my Bay add a lot, in terms of both visibility and ventilation.
This. Yes. Why did they change it!? I almost wish the Van canvas was in worse shape so I could more easily justify replacing it with the aftermarket 3 window style. Maybe someday.

(edit: 12/18/17)
All 1975 and later VW Westies came with just a front screen. Just go ahead and get a new canvas, sped372. We just don't know when our fickle manufacturers will just cut the supply off because it is not worth their while. Git er done and get those unforgettable family memories a perking.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:30 am

I know our '70 had three windows up top, and literature shows that even the first of the "true upstairs bed" Westies had three windows.

I wonder if the lawyers or bean counters got involved because I see absolutely no benefit from eliminating them. It's way stuffier up there without a cross-breeze.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 am

Yes, Sped372, get it while you can. Colin and I could help you install it, as we have some practice in the matter. Har. Har.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:52 am

We replaced the one on the '70 so I have some prior experience. Just have to make sure there's enough uninterrupted time once you get started!
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 pm

sped372 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:30 am
I know our '70 had three windows up top, and literature shows that even the first of the "true upstairs bed" Westies had three windows.

I wonder if the lawyers or bean counters got involved because I see absolutely no benefit from eliminating them. It's way stuffier up there without a cross-breeze.
Corrected my breezily wrong post above yours. They deleted the side screens in 1975. The year after they deleted the fuel filler door and the beautiful sliding door latch and half the screws that held these things together. Then they deleted tassles and everything else that made life worth living.
Bean counters . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:53 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 pm
Just go ahead and get a new canvas, sped372. We just don't know when our fickle manufacturers will just cut the supply off because it is not worth their while. Git er done and get those unforgettable family memories a perking.
Colin
x2... Save the original if it makes you feel better, but the additional utilitarianism/comfort of having a cross breeze is so worth it.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 am

As a follow-up to this - pulled the trigger and replaced that canvas earlier this year. Man, what a difference. Anyone considering this, don't even think twice. So much better visibility and ventilation.

1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm

That's a beautiful example you have there. What sort of bumpers does it have? And which vendor's canvas did you use?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

SlowLane wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm
That's a beautiful example you have there. What sort of bumpers does it have? And which vendor's canvas did you use?
Thanks! It came to us with the GoWesty bumpers. They're a little chunky and bother me a bit aesthetically but are nice to stand on to access the roof.

I bought the "OEM supplier German" canvas from Busdepot. Install was not completely smooth, upper perimeter seemed too small, I ended up making little 45° blocks for the corners to reduce the effective "circumference" of the poptop. I sent a message to Busdepot but they wanted me to either attempt to measure the canvas or send it back for them to check, either of which I assumed was just going to lead to lost time and further frustration. With a trip looming I opted to make it work. A little irritating but at least it's done.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:38 am

sped372 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am
SlowLane wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm
Thanks! It came to us with the GoWesty bumpers. They're a little chunky and bother me a bit aesthetically but are nice to stand on to access the roof.
Well, if you ever decide to "upgrade" the bumpers, check out these beauties:
http://www.westy-world.com/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2017741

I first noticed them on Craigslist when they were still in their design cycle. Nice to see that they have made it through to production (though I'm not in the market for HD bumpers myself, I admire the effort put into making them flow with the Vanagon's contours)
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett