Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: PLEASE READ : JULY 11, 2017

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:49 am

tommu wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 pm
I think they're toast. Lost their market share, losing users, no way to monetize existing users without extorting them. They must be desperate for a buyer.
Should I not then fundraise from all of you the $399.00 fee that I must pay in two weeks?

I can only do that, or make a linear numeric key of every photograph I have ever posted there and do a serial upload on one of the other hosting sites.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:11 am

If you have the time and resources to migrate those photos before renewal time then absolutely. But I imagine it’s a huge job. I would be more than happy to contribute to renew photobucket now so you can migrate those photos throughout 2018.

I have no idea if Photobucket will be out of business by 2019. They do show all the signs of being in managed decline.

Happy New Year!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: PLEASE READ : UPDATE 2018!

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Hey Everybody,

It's 2018, time to stick up for the little people.

Have you all been seeing nothing but photobucket placeholder images as you look around this place?

Cuz, guess what? Some enterprising little entrepreneur has a fix:

If you have Chrome, go to the Chrome Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ated?hl=en

If you have Firefox or any other browser, Opera? do a specific search for "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" and get your little extension TODAY.

Let me know if this website comes back. I was so glad to see Chris German's pictures back! Even if he is not as gorgeous as I remember.
Colin

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 pm

This makes me upset! I hate to see you or anyone else pay extortion fees to Photobucket. I understand nothing is free and bandwith/storage has its cost, but $400 sounds more like mafia protection than a legit service fee.

Unfortunately, solving this problem requires a two-fold solution: moving forward, and moving backward. Moving forward, it's easy to switch to a more reasonable image host. Hosting yourself would be most ideal, because then you'd never potentially get involved in another protection scheme again. I mentioned it in the other thread, but I've been using DigitalOcean for all my hosting. Their pricing is very reasonable, $20/mo gets you 3TB of transfer and 40GB of storage. Running something lightweight such as nginx would make it so you could serve images quickly with no overhead. Plus, it's under your control with no ads or unpredictable fees. Granted, I don't know your requirements here. How many GBs of images do we have here? How much traffic are you seeing? These are not things you have to disclose in public, a PM would do if you felt like sharing.

Okay, but also moving backward. Moving away from Photobucket means lots of potential broken image links here, something you're dealing with already. Again, if it were me, I could solve the problem myself. Dump the forum database somewhere and then write a script that finds Photobucket links and replaces them with links to your new host. Reimport the database and that should take care of it, no more Photobucket.

Please let me know if I can help you with a solution that means giving no more money to Photobucket! I'm not even trying to make money here myself, I would just like to lend some experience if I can. I've certainly benefitted from yours over the years.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:54 am

I like that idea russ. If Colin agrees i think switching host and having you replace all the links in the database is the best course of action. No reason to pay photobucket that much and pay for hosting.
60 beetle
78 bus

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

I agree that digital ocean is the nuts. But, if self hosting, would it not be safer, faster and cheaper to store images in AWS S3? No servers required to ‘serve’ images.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am

Amskeptic wrote:Oh SURE Jeff, just don't come crawling back to me, "oh I shouldn't have sold that VW."
ColinEnjoyingMYVWJustFineHereinRoswellNM

So, it happened, (long pause). the currywurst 7 passenger people transporter is off to his new owner in Kissimmee, Florida ( don't worry I made him promise to keep it stock Colin) and I am a little sad but quickly invested the money in turning my current 10 passenger people transporter in to a 3 person sleeper option too!
pics or it didn't happen...
Attachments
curry goodbye2.jpg
curry goodbye.jpg
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:42 am

oh and here is the investment in the other people mover.... I finally have a roof tent like a westy person! (yes I've never had one before even in one of my VWs!)
Attachments
landy tent 2 latest.jpg
landy tent latest.jpg

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 am

Those rooftops are cool. The only drawback is that if you want to drive somewhere, you have to stow it away. The Westy is much simpler.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/knCBqf6D0cSEZnIV2

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 pm

It is interesting. It does have a solid reputation. It has that cool roof "rack" . . . but . . . it does not have the engine in the rear and it does not have that glorious windshield view. Ach.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20 am

It has a appalling turning circle as well but they are so iconic and capable. It's a shame they weren't able to sell them here for longer. I'd love one. Although more LR3 is a little more comfy.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am

tommu wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20 am
Although more LR3 is a little more comfy.
Sure, and it weighs 5,796 lbs, good grief.
"comfort through inertia"
Colin :blackeye:

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:37 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20 am
It has a appalling turning circle as well but they are so iconic and capable. It's a shame they weren't able to sell them here for longer. I'd love one. Although more LR3 is a little more comfy.
it does NOT turn well and is basically a tractor that seats 2 families at once!
Colin seemed to like it (although he played it off while driving it, I caught him smiling once or twice!)
Also he is wearing pants in the driving pic I swear! (just not normal pants as we all know :pirate: )
-Jeff
Attachments
colin landy.jpg
colin drv landy1.jpg
colin drv landy2.jpg