Colin's getting some competition!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Colin's getting some competition!

Post by poptop tom » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:48 am

Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Colin's getting some competition!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:22 am

There are enough poorly maintained buses/VW's to go around for Rob and Colin. Folks should use these guys vs some crappy shop with 24yr kids that don't know crap about a aircooled car. (Even a new car!)
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 am

No worries, I understand Colin has a plan to address this competition. :bom:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:14 am

And.. the other "flaw" I see in Robbie's new business plan is what has to be an exceptionally small potential customer base. Really, how many air cooled VW's have survived 40+ years in that rust belt?

Robbie, you may need to throw a wider net with your ad. Colin drives 20k miles a year to fill up his slots. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am

I've met three people for beers and had exactly one day of work from that ad. Glad you found it!

In the last three weeks I've found some friends I'll keep in touch with for a long time, and that alone is worth it.

Because of my relationship situation, (firmly planted in Royal Oak,) I applied for 12 local jobs in August, and was called back for none. What's there to do in that case? For the last year and a half I've visited people with sick Volkswagens and helped them and said "pay it forward" and that was that.

This is not a career, a long-time project, or part of some plan. A kid's gotta eat. :blackeye:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:20 pm

PM sent with my contact info - I live very close to Royal Oak ... wife and I go there for dinner fairly frequently - up for a social visit as long as business travel and family obligations allow.

Do you speak shovelhead (as in the air cooled big twin motor Harley made from the mid 60's through the mid 80's) if so, I could use your services. :flower:

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

asiab3 wrote:Because of my relationship situation, (firmly planted in Royal Oak)
there are ways around that...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:11 pm

tristessa wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Because of my relationship situation, (firmly planted in Royal Oak)
there are ways around that...
I love it!! =D>

Good on you Robbie for doing what it takes to bring in some (John Muir lingo) "bread". Folks would be lucky to utilize your skills and passion in working on their beloved VW's..

You should consider turning in some applications for some mechanic positions as well. Maybe there is a remaining air cooled VW shop in the area looking for techs.

At my last job in the construction rental equipment industry, we were always seeking good mechanics. Our Veteran, experienced techs where making $80k plus w/over time.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 am

I knew it was going to happen . . . this is America. We celebrate the new!
I am old and fat and forgetful, Robbie is young and vital and filled with zest.
So anyhowz, Tony an Vito? De're on it.
Itinerant A GuyzGottaEat, HAH?
(Tony sez, "where's Royal Oak? Da black Caddy's over'eating." )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 am

I see only gain from this for the VW community. Yet, while Colin and Robbie will have lots of freedom, they won't make enough to grow old and retire on so they lose a little for you to gain. That is how it is for most mechanics. It is why many of us gave up on that passion and moved on. When it is 105 F outside and you are in an air conditioned office making a salary, Robbie and Colin will be lying on the pavement fighting sand, rust, and spiders coming out of the dark corners at them. Using the same skill set either could go back to school, get a degree in computer science and charge new customers triple to quadruple that $30 /hr. Both know that and instead choose to help others in the VW community - that is a pretty noble thing to do. Robbie will probably end up working for some state as a game warden / forestry service / park ranger some day outdoors. I can see that although maybe he can't - yet. Colin is too old to retrain. He will one day lay on the beach and recall his glory days camping with scorpions and rattlesnakes. :thumbleft:
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 am

Amskeptic wrote:I knew it was going to happen . . . this is America. We celebrate the new!
I am old and fat and forgetful, Robbie is young and vital and filled with zest.
So anyhowz, Tony an Vito? De're on it.
Itinerant A GuyzGottaEat, HAH?
(Tony sez, "where's Royal Oak? Da black Caddy's over'eating." )

https://youtu.be/un_QT274gsA

Nah Colin, I got a call into this guy and he's rolling towards Royal Oak..

brian
I'm New!

Post by brian » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Robbie is young and vital and filled with zest.
And beer.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

https://youtu.be/un_QT274gsA

Nah Colin, I got a call into this guy and he's rolling towards Royal Oak..
Maybe this dude can speak Shovelhead...they get a bad rap (Harley's Shovelhead motors) ..... but the more I read, I think they are very akin to the A/C VW's and the bad rap that they get on occasion. From what I've read, yup, they do need maintenance, but they can be maintained by your average Joe (or Josephine). The engine in my hardtail is the same year as my bus.....hmmm.... Like Alanis Morissette sang ... "isn't it ironic..." :cyclopsani:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::