Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and All

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and All

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:04 pm

After the Starbucks Cup Imbroglio, perhaps Americans are a little confused about this holiday and what we're supposed to say to each other in the public sphere. I say, "Merry Christmas!" and if you should respond, "Happy Winter Solstice!" I might reply, "and a Happy Winter Solstice to you!" and if someone might add, "Happy Hanukkah!" why, I would return a "Happy Hanukkah to you!"

It seems just that easy if you don't think about it, so I try hard not to think about the bizarre self-serving emotionally disingenuous interactions becoming commonplace in our public political common, and if one tribe suggests that political correctness is killing us all, I might suggest that insensitivity is too, and if another tribe declares that a terrible injustice has been promoted in the refusal to acknowledge the Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess, I might declare that I never heard of such, but "Happy Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess to you!"

I have traveled far and wide in this country and I love it all the more for this exposure to all of these people everywhere. It appears that common sense and courtesy and the essential interest in others is well hidden these days, but it exists yet in my one-on-one interactions with so many. I have to conclude that Americans are by and large a nice bunch, generous in their local communities, heart-felt in their service and damn sick and tired of the yammering twitterishness of "the media", a media that suffers from having to be "on" 24/7. How could you not get sick of it? How could they not get sick of it? These talking heads and programming directors answer to their bosses, and their bosses don't have to babble all day about everything, their bosses just demand "ratings" and we all suffer.

As an itinerant, I have come to love being able to disconnect from the public sphere, stay away from televisions and radios and Starbucks Christmas music and hordes of guilt-driven shoppers spending more than they feel like spending and just enjoying the friggen miracle of life from the margin. Occasionally I will see a wonderstruck child, and I say "go for it, give that kid some wonder, he/she'll need it."

Whether you are a Christian, Pagan, Kwanzan, Egyptian waiting for your Goddess, Jew, Aetheist, what the heck, jump in and connect with a "Happy" or a "Merry" and don't forget to tell that wonderstruck six year-old, "Santa doesn't know crap about whether you've been naughty or nice, he waits for the NSA download of your data off that microchip implant."
Merry Christmas! Eggnog!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and All

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:34 pm

Happy Federal Holidays, Merry Christmas, Fröche Weinachten from Heildelberg, Germany.

I am having a amazing Christmas as it's very different as everyone in town at night attends the multiple Christmas Markets. Time is spent socially interacting, shopping, eating and most of all drinking Glüwine with rum. No one stands around staring at their phones.....Kids ride the little train or ice skate and run around playing under their parents legs. We cooked a family dinner as every cafe or restaurant is closed in fact everything is closed..

Onto the Netherlands in the morning....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:57 am

Merry Christmas, one and all.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:37 am

Merry Christmas Forum Friends! :cheers:
Hoping for a "wonder struck" six year old here this morning...
Stay warm Colin.
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Beautifully said, Colin!

Happy <insert holiday here> to every last one of ya!
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:37 am

I hope all had a Merry Christmas!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Sylvester wrote:I hope all had a Merry Christmas!

I did. Then I opened the bill from Mercy Hospital for my bee sting in the throat ER visit.
$2,450.00 "you are not eligible for a charity discount because you did not send in an application for a charity discount in the required seven days."
ColinHoHoHoooooooo
( I am asking for an itemized bill )

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:19 pm

They don't call it Mercy for nothin'. When you open the bill, it's, "Lawdy, have mercy!"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Jivermo wrote:They don't call it Mercy for nothin'. When you open the bill, it's, "Lawdy, have mercy!"
It is beyond "offensive" to me to have walked in under my own power, sat on a table with a bp/pulse and oxygen sensor wire, then checked myself out 2 hours later to find that it was $1,000.00 per hour.
ColinGonnaOpenSomeMercyOnThem

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 pm

"the American health care system remains a hostage racket. When you are sick, you will do anything to get better, and the system knows it. You will sign onto any agreement to keep yourself alive, even if the health care system ends up taking your house and your children’s educations. It is a well-established fact that the chief cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA is unpayable medical bills on the part of people who have health insurance. It is considered bad manners to inquire of a surgeon what his fee might be for a life-saving operation. Anyway, you don’t want to know because it will be a figure with no anchor in the reality of hours spent or services rendered. Ditto the folks who run the hospital, where there is no reality-based relationship between things dispensed and prices charged. It’s simple racketeering"
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Ahhh... To you guys too, w/e you may celebrate. :D

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 am

Xelmon wrote:Ahhh... To you guys too, w/e you may celebrate. :D
You are currently stationed in LA? I enjoyed my whirlwind through LA this past summer.
Where were you?
And a Merry GMCvan to you and Happy New Leaf Spring Shackles
Colin

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote:You are currently stationed in LA? I enjoyed my whirlwind through LA this past summer.
Where were you?
And a Merry GMCvan to you and Happy New Leaf Spring Shackles
Colin
Yep, still in Smell-A, the one and only.
Uhm, as for where I was... Bored out of my skull at work. Didn't even call, or write, or send back-fire signals. I'll be honest, I completely spaced that you were rolling through town. :dontknow:

Ah, as for the leaf springs, yep, I'll have to update about that... I think I'm in the final stretch.
Now to finish lathing my bronze bushings for the kingpins. :blackeye: