One-owner(s) 1972 in Montana

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

One-owner(s) 1972 in Montana

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: One-owner(s) 1972 in Montana

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Very neat stories. Thank you.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:52 pm

That's so cool. I've always wanted to meet the people who bought these cars new. To hear the stories of the elderly couple that took delivery of my bus in Pennsylvania and drove it across the country without worrying about "what was that ticking sound" and "did I torque the gland nut all the way??"
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:33 am

asiab3 wrote:That's so cool. I've always wanted to meet the people who bought these cars new. To hear the stories of the elderly couple that took delivery of my bus in Pennsylvania and drove it across the country without worrying about "what was that ticking sound" and "did I torque the gland nut all the way??"
Yeah so the ticking sound is getting worse and the clunk at TDC is making me think I did not torque the gland nut all the way . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:15 am

I know the story of Emily's original owner - he took the bus back to the dealership many times over a rattle - apparently it ticked him off enough that after a year she stayed at the dealership and my grandfather bought her. He and my grandmother rattled back and forth between Oregon and Arizona when she wasn't being used as his daily golf shuttle. I bought her from him when she was 6, had her ever since.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:I know the story of Emily's original owner - he took the bus back to the dealership many times over a rattle - apparently it ticked him off enough that after a year she stayed at the dealership and my grandfather bought her. He and my grandmother rattled back and forth between Oregon and Arizona when she wasn't being used as his daily golf shuttle. I bought her from him when she was 6, had her ever since.
BUT DID YOU EVER FIND THE RATTLE??

:blackeye:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:19 pm

She's got a few - never bothered me. :drunken:
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:36 pm

I know the names of all the previous owners of Harvee up until he left California for Utah - there were a couple of Utah owners before the guy I bought him off. Even had contact with the original owner by mail (he had Harvee for about 20 years), but the last letter I had was, I felt, a little dismissive, so I didn't contact him again. One of the subsequent California owners now lives in France, and I got a reply back from him on Facebook.
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 am

They must like their bus. I've been driving ours on and off since my folks brought it home from the dealer in 1976. Got my license in the summer of '74. My folks cruelly made me drive an either a Chevy Vega or an AMC Pacer until the bus arrived, and it was a major step up from either of those! They sold it to me around 1986 and I kept it until 1992, at which time I gave it to my sister. She let it sit in her driveway until 2010, when she gave it to my son. He doesn't currently have a storage location, so it's temporarily back with me. So, 3 generations, but I'd still call it one-family.
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR