RIP Tom Magliozzi

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

RIP Tom Magliozzi

Post by JLT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Tom Magliozzi, of Car Talk fame, has died.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287 ... dies-at-77

He'll be missed. He not only brought a lot of joy into the world, but he and his brother greatly de-mystified auto mechanics for millions of people. I rank him right up there with John Muir for making car knowledge accessible for the common man and woman.

Like Muir, I didn't always agree with him, and he had a dim view of VWs in general and the bus in particular. But you had to give him credit for the firmness of his convictions and his ability to see our side of the story, too.

With his shows now in perpetual re-runs, we'll be hearing his voice for some time to come. But I'll still regret not being able to meet with him in person, and (in my fantasies, anyway) make music with him and talk about our common Italian-American heritage.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: RIP Tom Magliozzi

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:07 am

JLT wrote:Tom Magliozzi, of Car Talk fame, has died.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287 ... dies-at-77

He'll be missed. He not only brought a lot of joy into the world, but he and his brother greatly de-mystified auto mechanics for millions of people. I rank him right up there with John Muir for making car knowledge accessible for the common man and woman.

Like Muir, I didn't always agree with him, and he had a dim view of VWs in general and the bus in particular. But you had to give him credit for the firmness of his convictions and his ability to see our side of the story, too.

With his shows now in perpetual re-runs, we'll be hearing his voice for some time to come. But I'll still regret not being able to meet with him in person, and (in my fantasies, anyway) make music with him and talk about our common Italian-American heritage.
Those brothers were a bright bunch, M.I.T. the both of them.
I enjoyed their schtick in short bursts, and listened closely to their over-the-phone-diagnostics, which were sometimes pretty good, and other times, less so. Listening to their acknowledgements in the final seconds of their program was often pretty funny. The marketing machine that surrounded them turned me off.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Re: RIP Tom Magliozzi

Post by JLT » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote: The marketing machine that surrounded them turned me off.
Understandable. It might be worth noting that Tom had a degree in marketing. I might also point out that the boys themselves would often take shots at that very same marketing machine. (Note their "shameless commerce" division.) I don't think that they ever let that tail wag their dog.

One thing I liked was their "Mechanics Files" (formerly "Mechan X-Files" until the X Files people got on their case about it), where people could recommend honest auto mechanics in their area. This was long before Yelp and Google reviews, and did a lot to promote customer awareness about the commercial realities of the automobile business. They learned that they didn't have to put up with mediocre service or go through the hassles of filing a complaint with the BBB or whoever. They could simply say, "If you don't treat me right, I can go to somebody who will, and I have a list right here. But if you do treat me right, I'll promote your business on Car Talk." That carried a lot of weight back then. Not so much now. In our small VW community, we do that every day, but most customers are not nearly that empowered.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"