F1 Pit Stops: 1950 vs Today

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

F1 Pit Stops: 1950 vs Today

Post by Lanval » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 pm

I can't remember if I already posted this, and I'm too damn lazy to check. That's probably why when I changed my oil two weeks ago, all that came out was grey sludge. Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRy_73i ... e=youtu.be

Colin; do you happen to know the theory behind such narrow tires in the 1950s? Surely they knew that a wider tire was better for gripping in high G turns?

Michael L

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Re: F1 Pit Stops: 1950 vs Today

Post by Xelmon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 pm

The basic theory is that the thinner the tire, the less rolling resistance it has.

The old tires were also... Bias, radial... Whichever has softer sidewalls, so the slip angle was different, and you could effective use more of the tire.
So when the tires are flexing and it's starting to "roll out", it's still definitely gripping.

Tire tech didn't jump to stiff/hard sidewalls until the 60's or so, where you couldn't get away with thin tires. That's when tread width started to increase... Drastically.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Sweet Mary, I understand that things were perhaps generally slower 60+ years ago, but for the love of all that is holy, can someone get that tire guy a pneumatic wrench? Were they specifically disallowed or something? Good god.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 am

Lanval wrote: Colin; do you happen to know the theory behind such narrow tires in the 1950s? Surely they knew that a wider tire was better for gripping in high G turns?

Michael L
Then current technology could not allow bias belt tires to be too wide. The rim width had to be greater than the tire footprint in order for the bias belts to survive cornering. As it was, the heat build-up was pretty intense with bias construction, and this banged against the edge of then vulcanization capabilities.

Great video. How did they get the wheels to stay on? I saw no fastening operation in the 2013 video.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles