Trek to LA

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Trek to LA

Post by Xelmon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:32 pm

I thought that I'd show you guys pictures down at the Lab last Monday, however we never got there...
Plus quite a few were nowhere to be seen. =\

So, On to the pictures!!!

Oregon

More Oregon

An old rig rolling down the road. Had some patrioty stuff on it like bald eagles and stickers talking about gun rights.

More Oregon... Around here is where I started missing Oregon, still North of Eugene.

The sun was setting at a steady pace, managed to get this nice picture outside of Roseburg/Grants Pass.

I think this sign was supposed to capture "Welcome to Cali"

Hehe, "<- Weed"....

After having rested in Weed - as the exit sign said "Weed next 3 miles", hehehe! - I lined up the gear yet again. When I stopped at the motel that night at Weed I unpacked all the gear, just to be on the safe side.

This is how the gear all fit in. There has been more than one time that the Civic was this full.

I am very happy that I got this little car way back for it's hatchback features.

Downtown Weed. Sleepy little town.

Aaaa, the "Weed / College" sign. Thought that I read that they changed it as it kept getting screwed up and stolen.

Hehe, how true, how true. By this time, I already concluded that my rotors were warped or something as such was awry with them.

Sweet old ride. I saw 2 pieces of old steel being driven down South-way like this.

It was nice and warm, somewhere around 75 or so. It was amazingly warm. =)

The I-505 interchange, still remember when I was going through here many years ago, just to go to a LAN party.

Internet joke. You Only Live Once, or You Obviously Like Owls.

Shortly followed by the first sign for LA... At this time it was about 3PM when I took that picture.

Rolling into Sacramento.

Oh hey! A Simca! It had a lot of things going on with the diamond plate and such, it was also doing the "ethanol damaged carb" burping as it was rolling down the road.

That car on the other hand was gliding on the asphalt. It was really nicely done, and the engine simply hummed away.

I passed this truck several times as I took rest stops about every hour, otherwise my back would've murdered me.

Always forget this rest stop's name. Really nice spot, decided to take pics going in as we have stopped here on the way to Death Valley before.

As I rolled in I saw a rather oddly angled Neon. I was curious what was going on with this particular rig.

Uhm . . .

What . . . I still can't quite figure out what happened to have something that catastrophic happen.
There was also a written note saying that the owner was SOL as AAA was not working over Vet's day, so the tow was a few days out.
He already had a citation for taking up a spot.

A few miles down the road was Crows lookout or something named as such. Stopped to take a few dusk shots.

And the Wonda. She was actually pretty nice to drive, comfort was good although my back had been re-adjusted due to the seating position.

Hoooyyy... It was about 4:30-5PM, and I was still a few hundred miles away. I knew that at the earliest I would get in around 11PM.

2 rest stops and a few hours later I was up in the "mountains". It was actually chilly up there, had to put on my fleece and hat.

Cue story time...

At that stop this young couple come up to me, all humble and ask if I know the way to Las Vegas as they are lost...
"No idea... Hm, lemme grab my GPS."

And they were indeed lost, 4 of them were heading in a Neon to Vegas and missed the turn-off towards Bakersfield like a 100 miles ago.

After checking things they had some 4.5 hours and 300 miles to go, and they were lucky as a few miles away was the next turn-off.
Checking things it was relatively simple to get onto I-15 to LV, however that is many hours away and they would be tired. Can't have them lost out there, and it would be past midnight by the time they would get near Mojave, their 2nd major direction change.

"Grab a pen and paper, you want to write this down."

It took a good few minutes to transcribe everything, as I gave them turn-by-turn directions.

"Also, gas up the first chance you have, gas stations out there would likely be closed by this the time you get out there."

After that I sent them on their merry way, I hope they made it.

And the first "Los Angeles" sign with no mile markers. Almost there.

At some stupid hour, close to 12:30AM, Nov 11th I made to the motel.
Thanks Hal for the beer, albeit it was the lukest-warmest IPA I have ever drank due to lack of fridge. =)

Upon arrival...

The next morning...

All packed away. =)

And that was the Epic Trip...
Post-Morten it turned out that the rotors were 10x over tolerance for parallelism, and they were incorrectly machined, not warped! Horrible horrible breaks!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Trek to LA

Post by glasseye » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Yum. Nutella for breakfast. :cheers:

Thanks for all those pix. Gives me Horizon Hunger.

And the reason for this epic run was....?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Not as much gravel in LA...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:01 pm

@ Glassy: To work at Tesla, flew out for orientation and started at the actual design studio on the 13th.

@ Gyp: ... No, there is no gravel here. I'll have to throw some into the street, maybe get a couple of Hollywood guys to help me make the crash more epic. =P

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Xelmon wrote:@ Glassy: To work at Tesla, flew out for orientation and started at the actual design studio on the 13th.
WOW! Nice gig! Congrats!

Kin we get a discount? :sunny:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Good read, thanks. Good luck down there!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat