New Mexican IACers: question about altered license plates

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

New Mexican IACers: question about altered license plates

Post by whc03grady » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am

Big Blue's Driver noticed many cars in Taos with license plates that appeared to have been painted over, or had the paint stripped off (link). I suspect however it's a matter of fading color (doesn't red fade worst? and aren't the letters on NM plates red?), not intentional alteration.

Can you confirm that there exists a practice in New Mexico whereby people paint over or remove the paint from their license plates, and if so, for what reason?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: New Mexican IACers: question about altered license plate

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am

Don't know about NM, however, in states where they use cameras to police traffic violations and issue citations, I have seen people put some kind of transparent 'gunk' over some, part, or all letters. In day light looks normal, but you shine a light on it (or a flash) and it turns black....just a thought.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 am

Here in IL there was a bad batch of plates made and the paint or whatever they use bubbled and peeled. Those plates had to be replaced.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Fri May 31, 2013 1:29 pm

I have noticed quite a bit of plates here in Albuquerque that have bubbled and peeled due to the intense sunlight. another thing that people did here was to spray the plates with a product that dulls the plate so the traffic cameras could not get a clear reading. ( the product hindered the reflective surface of the plate so the flash from the cameras would not work.

we just have very poorly made printed plates plates here in my opinion. I have original steel stamped plates on my cars from the vehicles original year.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com