Lubrication & The Clutch Lever

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Lubrication & The Clutch Lever

Post by sped372 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 am

Last summer I had to do an emergency clutch cable replacement in the middle of a camping trip (this one). I was happy to have had a replacement cable on-hand, but I also noticed just how bone-dry and worn the clutch cable lever and retaining pin were. I didn't have spares of those, so I just cringed while I put it back together.

Anyway, I replaced them a couple days ago and thought I'd share a photo that shows just how worn these parts were... they weren't making any strange noises and would probably have continued to work up until they just plain broke. The parts are cheap enough and may be worth keeping attached to your spare clutch cable as cheap insurance. I smeared some wheel-bearing grease on everything this time.

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Lubrication & The Clutch Lever

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am

sped372 wrote:Last summer I had to do an emergency clutch cable replacement in the middle of a camping trip. I was happy to have had a replacement cable on-hand,
....jpg[/img]
This is what it looks like when the pin freezes to the lever, the wear points are almost exclusively at the outside clevis ends.
It's a shame when the lever takes the brunt of the wear. Have you been able to find a replacement?

I did a roadside repair that is still soldiering on through my double-duty double-clutching . . . urban traffic jams and all.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10819#p191431

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Lubrication & The Clutch Lever

Post by sped372 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:22 am

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX