Calling All Opinions

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Calling All Opinions

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I have a little conundrum. As this relates to the Old Country from whence we came (theSamba), I ask that all responses be thoughtful and polite. I believe this is all my fault, it is.

In my mad lust for fame and glory, I have posted technical articles over there (their gallery was so much better at definition) as well as here. Some enterprising and hard-working Sambanistas have compiled articles in stickies and many happen to be mine. Some even have little "copyrights" at the bottoms of the pages. But I did post them there, and that is a public domain and yadayadayada. The problem is, I want to edit, I want to improve, I want to update, but I do not have access.

Is it ethical and moral and advisable even, to break all the links to my pictures hosted by Photobucket over there (they would break here too!), and then put in my Samba signature or something, that the articles are accessible here on the IAC site, where I would fill in the new links as I reload the pictures on Photobucket?

I want this site to have the benefits of this crazy investment in time to write these illustrated articles.
Opinions most welcome.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Calling All Opinions

Post by airkooledchris » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm

why don't you have access to edit the content of those posts?

are you saying someone copied your text and picture links and posted them into their own thread?

if so, what I would do is swap out the image that appears at that URL.

For example, if you have a picture called http://photobucket.com/Colinsstuff/lifters.jpg - and you want to edit the content that appears with this photo AND article....

I would create a new image with the revised details (that you want to include in the image anyway) - then embed a bit of text across the top of the image that mentions "this article has since been revised, please visit http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=XYZ for the most recent details about this procedure, dated 5/8/2013

Delete your old picture, name the new picture *exactly* the same as the old one (case sensitive) and upload it into your account. Theoretically (hopefully) the URL will be exactly the same, so once you swap out the old image with the new one, the new image will simply start appearing everywhere the old one did.

To test and be sure this theory will work, before breaking your old link, id verify that you cannot upload another image with the identical filename as another in that same directory. If photobucket allows more than one image to have the exact same filename and appear in your same folder then you may not be able to use this process.

As long as the address is always the same - you just change the house that happens to come up when people navigate to that address.

If this works I think that would be a lot cleaner than bunch of broken links.
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed May 08, 2013 5:46 pm

I say give it a try as I come here for technical articles and discussion as thesamba is more of a "I justgotthisbus and I want to slamitsohowdoIdothatfor $50?
They are your drawings and articles so modify away so they can come here to find them.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm

i would not do that intentionally.
There is nothing worse than finally finding a thread on the samba that holds all the answers but all the photos are broken links.

I would just reply on each post you want to improve and let people know updated info is available here.

too much of the community depends on the sharing of information and by breaking one photo link you may break numerous threads and blogs that people find valuable.
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

zabo wrote:i would not do that intentionally.
There is nothing worse than finally finding a thread on the samba that holds all the answers but all the photos are broken links.

I would just reply on each post you want to improve and let people know updated info is available here.

too much of the community depends on the sharing of information and by breaking one photo link you may break numerous threads and blogs that people find valuable.
Allow me to hone the argument a little.

I want to share these articles and pictures from HERE. Still available, but here. A link over there in place of the full write-up over there where I can't edit the damn thing because they have a 125,000 minute limit to editing your posts.
Here, I can change incorrect information at a moment's notice and the link will be updated just like that with the new information.
Did I mention site traffic?
Colin :blackeye:

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I hear your argument- but if im surfing for answers i prob wont get to the last post in the topic to see that you mentioned the articles were moved.
I think the backlash you will receive by removing pics will not help your Samba karma or win you any fans,no matter what your intentions.

I would just duplicate the articles here and add a message on the samba that NEW and IMPROVED info can be found here.
60 beetle
78 bus

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Change the pictures to a little pic that shows where the photos are now located. I know it is a pain but it lets you get site traffic and keeps the information in the original thread. You'd have to make the new picture and then make copies of it on photobucket with all the old names.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses, I will try to update the public art at some point . . .
ColinInUpstateNY