The real thing

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

The real thing

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey guys, been a long time since I got "personal" on here, but I feel I need to share.

My mom has been battling cancer for about 4 years now, and after surgeries, chemo, experimental trials, hardcore radiation treatments and the whole nine, they have basically said it's just a matter of making the best of time now. On the outside, you'd never know. She's still the same glowing woman that raised me. Take a look at this recent photo session and tell me that's not a strong woman and a good man. 45 years together and all the tests and they still are beside each other!

http://betsykershner.wordpress.com/2013 ... bbie-paul/

Please send some love towards these amazing humans!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: The real thing

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Sorry to hear about Mom. I'm glad the medical system was able to give more time worth having, when my dad had cancer the treatments only prolonged his suffering. Very glad mom is able to maintain a good outlook and will send good/healing thoughts her way. They look very happy and in love in the pics.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Yeah man, it's tough...hang in there, you know you have people here that care too.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm

DjEep wrote:Hey guys, been a long time since I got "personal" on here, but I feel I need to share.

My mom has been battling cancer for about 4 years now, and after surgeries, chemo, experimental trials, hardcore radiation treatments and the whole nine, they have basically said it's just a matter of making the best of time now. On the outside, you'd never know. She's still the same glowing woman that raised me. Take a look at this recent photo session and tell me that's not a strong woman and a good man. 45 years together and all the tests and they still are beside each other!

http://betsykershner.wordpress.com/2013 ... bbie-paul/

Please send some love towards these amazing humans!
Great photographs! Total heartache, but great photographs.
Colin
(what a blessing to call them your parents)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 am

Yeah, my sister sent me that link and I got all teary with happiness for them.

Funny related story:

After she spent a day in the ER being shot full of Dilaudid following a particularly painful procedure, I convinced her to at least try some Medical MJ. My friend who lives near them was generous enough to bake her some cookies and deliver them. She tried, but couldn't get past the smell (they didn't smell much, but she's extremely sensitive to smells). So the bags of cookies stayed in the freezer. When I went down for xmas, my dad offered them to me to take home, but then thought it might not be safe to travel with them. I told him I doubted the gestapo would be too suspicious of me heading home from Mom's with some Christmas cookies. He said maybe it would be safer to mail them. I said "Well now we've gone from bringing cookies home from Mom's to using the federal mail system to traffic across state lines..." He said, "As you can see, I'm new to this..."

It was fun feeding them to my sister's husband and watching her get all silly (yes, her. It's funny how some people get all weird when someone else gets stoned. "Are you high yet? Can you see my voice or something?")
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:02 pm

would be cool if they came to the friendly for sit down and fire visit

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Love sent - your Mom looks like a real fire cracker!

Cancer sucks ass.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks, Blot. Yup, she's a sparkler, but very humble. She spent half her life volunteering at a large SF hospital, raising money to help the poorest patients, especially babies born addicted. She once was honored at a Giants game for her work with premature and addicted babies by being brought on top of the dugout during 7th inning stretch, showing a micro documentary about her on the jumbotron, then having a jersey with our last name on it and an autographed ball presented by Orlando Cepeda. It was extra-super special because she was always nervous around crowds, and having 30,000 people cheer for her went miles to help her with that.

They should be passing through sometime this spring, steve. I'll see what I can do.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

She looks at peace with things...and very happy. Beautiful photos.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Sounds like she has lived her life and left an impression on many people. May we all be such a force for good in the world.
Enjoy the time with them you have. You never know which meeting will be the last.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey