Forum Stats...upd 1st Qtr p.8

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

Re: Forum Statistics

Post by zabo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 am

The forum could really bnenefit from a bit of seo optimization. I just recommended the site to a guy on the GA Dubs forum. He said after tons of searching he still didn't know about this site.

Check it out yourself, Google," vw bus forum" see the IAC anywhere?
Looking at the board source we don't even have any meta tags.

adding those, possibly building the site out a bit to include a separate about/mission page, link swapping etc.. would all go a long way in making the site easier for people to find. I'm happy to help with all this if needed.
60 beetle
78 bus

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 am

zabo wrote:The forum could really bnenefit from a bit of seo optimization. I just recommended the site to a guy on the GA Dubs forum. He said after tons of searching he still didn't know about this site.

adding those, possibly building the site out a bit to include a separate about/mission page, link swapping etc.. would all go a long way in making the site easier for people to find. I'm happy to help with all this if needed.

I also noticed last night that the IAC isn't linked on Ratwell's site either. Might send him a quick note and see if he'll add it.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 am

yes, metatags, keywords ... etc. should help drive some traffic.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 am

Amskeptic wrote: I am not a Facebook subscriber . . . . how's our page look? :geek:
it's almost non-existant. maybe half a dozen posts or so in 2012.

ideally a 'group' would be created rather than just a 'page' (to use Facebook terminology).
this would be, of course, just another method to drive up awareness and send traffic back to the site, not act as a replacement.

(give me a thumbs up and ill happily create it and post links to it for others (who are on FB) to join.)
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

The polish is wearing thin for Facebook. Folks are becoming weary of it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The polish is wearing thin for Facebook. Folks are becoming weary of it.

neal
Yep, closed my account about a month ago. It was becoming a little too invasive.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

FB is too trite. Ego Book they should call it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

that's all well and good that you guys have made that decision, but it doesn't change the fact that the younger crowd basically grew up with it and are less likely to jump ship until a suitable replacement is found.

if widening the audience is a goal - you can't really be closed minded about the potential positives that are gained from those markets. either you keep up with social media or you get left behind. kudo's to anyone marketing a business in a position to ignore those avenues.

I work with a lot of old school brick and mortar stores as they transition into online sales, many of whom don't want anything to do with FB and other web marketing practices - and that's fine. Concentrate on what your comfortable with, but you absolutely see a difference in traffic/volume between those who do and those who don't. None of that may apply to what the goals are here with this site, but since that's all I know - im a believer that it could. None of that happens without regular effort from people though, so it's not like you can just set it up once and forget about it.
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Chris is correct. I joined facebook in order to broaden my opportunities to distribute the video shorts I produce. Unfortunately, I haven't grown up with facebook in this case, as effective usage of the medium has been illusive for me struggling with the mechanics. Just like my lack of a blogging presence to the same end. User ineptitude. And twitter...well, I just don't get.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The polish is wearing thin for Facebook. Folks are becoming weary of it.

neal
I am so far behind my time that I am ahead. In Volkswagen coolness (non-existent in 1979) as well as Facebook disdain.
Colin

[now, when are cut-offs going to have a comeback? (I think I have deteriorated too far to ever dare wear them any more. (< OH REALLY, WHEN DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT?- anonymous]
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I am not a Facebook subscriber . . . . how's our page look? :geek:
it's almost non-existant. maybe half a dozen posts or so in 2012.

ideally a 'group' would be created rather than just a 'page' (to use Facebook terminology).
this would be, of course, just another method to drive up awareness and send traffic back to the site, not act as a replacement.

(give me a thumbs up and ill happily create it and post links to it for others (who are on FB) to join.)
:thumbright:

:flower:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

zabo wrote:The forum could really bnenefit from a bit of seo optimization. I just recommended the site to a guy on the GA Dubs forum. He said after tons of searching he still didn't know about this site.

Needed.
:cussing: Now.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am

I love Facebook and joined the IAC group, I'll post there too. I have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DesignPlusNV) for my company just to have something folks can look at besides my blog.
I still would rather come here for the more technical posts and discussions vs Facebook which is for more social discourse/photos updates.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm

I just found NEATO ( http://www.newtonic.com/neatoclub/ ) from a reference on L.E.A.K.O.I.L ( http://www.leakoil.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ). They (NEATO) welcome links on their 'Resources and Links' tab. This statement is made - "Feel free to submit your favorite web links to The Webmaster as listed on the "Membership" page. Include a brief description of what can be found there."
Some of our "favorite" sites are there, but the link to LiMBO is dead :silent: .
I would not even think to be so bold as to introduce IAC to NEATO, but if CK would RSVP, then I guess it might be OK.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:I just found NEATO ( http://www.newtonic.com/neatoclub/ ) from a reference on L.E.A.K.O.I.L ( http://www.leakoil.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ). They (NEATO) welcome links on their 'Resources and Links' tab. This statement is made - "Feel free to submit your favorite web links to The Webmaster as listed on the "Membership" page. Include a brief description of what can be found there."
Some of our "favorite" sites are there, but the link to LiMBO is dead :silent: .
I would not even think to be so bold as to introduce IAC to NEATO, but if CK would RSVP, then I guess it might be OK.
Do it. And we are your "favorite web link" hands down, so get the point across. :flower:
Colin
(p.s. good idea)