New year resolutions.. Drinking too much.. nuts.

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

New year resolutions.. Drinking too much.. nuts.

Post by IFBwax » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 pm

I think I'm really going to try to cut down on drinking. Not because I'm such a lush, but I think it's the only way I can really lose some lbs. Have any of you had any success? What are good ways to do this? I usually like to have a glass of wine or beer when I get home late from work but lately have been having some sparkling water. It's ok. But ya know.

I figured out a couple drinks a day and then six or so on weekends really adds up.

Also a friend of mine said her resolution was to run one mile every day in the new year. I'm going to try that too. I can easily run a mile but the thing is, that's usually the hardest mile to run.. so I figure I'll probably run two a day minimum if I can keep it up.

I'm turning 50 years old in April so my goal is to be in better shape then, than all of my 40s. Am I crazy?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: New year resolutions.. Drinking too much.. nuts.

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Flavored seltzers really help, give you that fizz. It's hard to give up beer.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 pm

A cold IPA is one of those things for me that makes life worth living.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 am

yes this is a problem
60 beetle
78 bus

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 am

IFBwax wrote:I think I'm really going to try to cut down on drinking. Not because I'm such a lush, but I think it's the only way I can really lose some lbs. Have any of you had any success? What are good ways to do this?
You might try a variation of Larry Goldberg's famous diet plan of "controlled cheating." The gist of it is that instead of giving up booze entirely, you ration it. One evening, you'll have tea, the next evening wine. The tea becomes more bearable when you know that tomorrow night you can have your glass of wine or beer. And you'll be moving toward that ultimate goal of weight loss, albeit a little slower than you would have if you'd gone cold turkey.

Goldberg (once known as "Fats" Goldberg) went from over 300# to about 150# on this plan ... and kept it off for twenty years. He was a serious food junkie, but decided that the only way a diet would work for him is if he followed it scrupulously for three or four days, and then pigged out on his "day off" the diet. It worked for him. It might just work for you.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 pm

I signed up at the local gym for $10 a month a few months ago.

I usually go there about every other day (after work) and I do the treadmill for 50 minutes at about 3.6-4.0 mph at a 3% slope to give me about 3.5 miles. About as long as it takes me to listem to one album on my ipod. My heart rate goes to about 120 for most of that. When I am done, frankly I am pooed.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 pm

IFBwax wrote:I think I'm really going to try to cut down on drinking. Not because I'm such a lush, but I think it's the only way I can really lose some lbs.
I'm turning 50 years old in April so my goal is to be in better shape then, than all of my 40s. Am I crazy?
Yep. Yer crazy.

Now about that drinking/weight gain thing, I am the last person to be giving any advice whatsoever, therefore, I must step up and give some . . .

Absolutely ride this wave and do not fall off. There is a creeping inertia graph called the Effort/Results Hockey Stick line.
At thirty, it takes twice as much effort to achieve result "x".
At forty, it takes four times as much effort to hit result "x".
At fifty, it takes sixteen times as much effort to hit result "x".
I think I'll have another bonbon and take a nap, I am exhausted from all of this typing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I love this group. I wouldn't share this stuff with any one else.

Frank Bama

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:48 pm

The other day when I was at the gym, the Lord spoke to me (through my headphones) and said,

"Randy, That girl I have placed in front of you has the perfect butt. Observe it".

I did. I went an additonal mile and it was worth it every painful step.

Youth is wasted on the young.
79 VW Bus

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Keep a case of LaCroix on hand. It works wonders.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:23 am

Insert stupid middle aged guy joke here

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 am

Randy in Maine wrote:The other day when I was at the gym, the Lord spoke to me (through my headphones) and said,

"Randy, That girl I have placed in front of you has the perfect butt. Observe it".

I did. I went an additonal mile and it was worth it every painful step.

Youth is wasted on the young.

=D>
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

Yeah Wayne, 50 is tough but 60 is tougher. I have cut down to one beer every other day, no junk food, lots of veggies til I am almost a no meat eater and in Suriname I lost the 10lbs I gained in Seattle. I do swim 3 times a week and also jog/walk if my foot is feeling ok. Not killer exercise but steady and low intake on the bad foods. I fit all my good clothes and feel good at this weight so now just trying to tighten up and stay fit. In Seattle I'll have to walk/jog and join a club to swim.
Oh, forget the late night beer/wine as doing that right before sleeping isn't too good for weight loss/maintaining...so go out on your lunch/dinner breaks.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 am

What do they say, "Getting old is rough, but it beats the alternative." haha.. Thanks you guys. I cut out all alcohol during the work week for now and it's been pretty easy. Then I'll limit it to special events in the New Year. We'll see how it goes. The sparkling water does help quench my thirst for something cold and bubbly. Also trying to eat only "whole foods." Made some damn good Turkey soup yesterday from the carcass and leftover veggies we had laying around. I also hope I'll have more energy in the morning. Right now I hardly ever want to get out of bed. I think the red wine is the worst for making me sleepy the next morning. Anyone else have that problem?

Frank Bama