Meet Bill and Marie

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Meet Bill and Marie

Post by glasseye » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Out photographing yesterday, I heard a familiar engine note approaching and flagged down these two total strangers. As they pulled up, the pilot killed the engine, they were obviously used to strangers looking for a chat.

Bill, 78, English and owner of this bus for the past 25 years.

And Marie, age indeterminate, French, his wife "since before the bus"

They've been as far east as Newfoundland, as far north as Inuvik, and as far west as Haida Gwaii. In fact, all over the continent. All in their bus. No fridge, just an ice box. A small propane heater and a single burner stove. That's all they need. Sometimes, a kayak travels on the roof.

Frito (My Mercedes Sprinter) was parked nearby and I told them about my total lack of waves or peace signs and they laughed knowingly.

"We're always getting stopped by people who have either owned a bus or have always wanted one", they said.

They told me I was CRAZY to sell the Dorper. Mebbe they're right. :)

In any case, we whiled away at least an hour and by the time we were done, it was too late to continue shooting. Time well spent, :cheers:

(pix with my phone)
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: Meet Bill and Marie

Post by dingo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 pm

nice to run into adventuresome folks..especially in a Type 2...plus cool feather arrangement
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:59 am

Very cool kindred spirits and I too love the feathers :colors:

Wish I would have met them on the Dempster, Bill looks alot like the helicopter pilot I met at Eagle Plains (about 25mi from the Circle) he told be of past buses he had.

I don,t think you could ever like the simplicity of a single burner stove GE, and the pace it takes to injoy a bus, but hang on to the Dorper for a spell and give it another chance someday :flower:

Thanks for sharing,

Barb/Elwood
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 am

Elwood wrote:Very cool kindred spirits and I too love the feathers :colors:

Wish I would have met them on the Dempster, Bill looks alot like the helicopter pilot I met at Eagle Plains (about 25mi from the Circle) he told be of past buses he had.

I don,t think you could ever like the simplicity of a single burner stove GE, and the pace it takes to injoy a bus, but hang on to the Dorper for a spell and give it another chance someday :flower:

Thanks for sharing,

Barb/Elwood
Yes, glasseye, give the Dorper another chance after you have lived with the true costs of creature comforts against your sense of adventure. Did you tell Bill and Marie about itinerant mechanical services? I want dearly to readjust those wiper positions on their bus.
:alien:
ColinMightBeBoltingWest
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Did you tell Bill and Marie about itinerant mechanical services? I want dearly to readjust those wiper positions on their bus.
ColinMightBeBoltingWest
Heh. I did indeed. They said "Internet? Who needs it?"

Get outta them Keys or I'll send Carl Hiaasen after you. See you in Pahrump in late March.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

glasseye wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Did you tell Bill and Marie about itinerant mechanical services? I want dearly to readjust those wiper positions on their bus.
ColinMightBeBoltingWest
Heh. I did indeed. They said "Internet? Who needs it?"

Get outta them Keys or I'll send Carl Hiaasen after you. See you in Pahrump in late March.
Might have to catch me in Utah.
Colin :bounce:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles