Travel the PCH in a Rent-a-bus!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Travel the PCH in a Rent-a-bus!

Post by satchmo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am

After a long and fairly difficult first semester at my new job here in SoCal, I got an itch this holiday season for some time traveling and camping in a VW bus that had to be scratched. The only problem was that I sold my VW camper last March before I moved here. I was busless. What to do?

Enter Vintage Surfari Wagons (http://www.vwsurfari.com/theskinny.html), a business located in Costa Mesa, CA that rents VW buses and vans by the day, week or month. I contacted Bill and made a reservation.

Here is Bill with one of his rental campers.

My week with Ala Lani (that is the name of the bus and it means “Heavenly Path” in Hawaiian) started on Dec 19 and went to Dec 26. This was ideal time for camping along the S. California coast, and for driving along the famous Pacific Coast Highway. I drove the PCH from Carlsbad to Monterey, camping at places where you wouldn’t stand a ghost of a chance of finding a spot during the summer. Temps were near 70 during the day, and about 40 at night. Traffic was minimal. The perfect trip.

My Daughter and I keeping warm by the fire at S. Carlsbad State Beach.

Lights on the bus for Christmas Eve at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

Ala Lani is a 79 automatic. The auto transmission took a little getting used to, but was nice to have in some stop and go traffic in Los Angeles and in Ventura. We cruised at 65mph when the road conditions allowed and climbed some pretty steep hills in Monterey without the engine getting the least bit hot. Bill installs an automatic top end oiling system in his air cooled vehicles (ask me if you want to know more about it) that may help in this regard; it has certainly cut his head/valve failure rate down considerably. The engine also had no thermostat or flaps (boo), which is probably one less thing to adjust, replace or worry about during the summer season when these vehicles see most of their use. At any rate, except for a clunking CV joint on hard right turns, the bus performed flawlessly.

I know most of you already have a bus and knowing there is a guy in Costa Mesa that rents buses will mean little to you. But what if you have friends or relatives who don’t own a bus with whom you want to take an epic bus trip? Or maybe you live in Georgia and always wanted to drive your bus to Big Sur, but the trip across the country to make it a reality was just too far to give it serious thought? Or perhaps you have a bus that is out of commission and you really want to camp in Death Valley or Joshua Tree or Yosemite this Spring or Summer? Vintage Surfari Wagons might fill a need. It did for me.

Tim

Ala Lani behind a moving mirror along I-5 near Bakersfield, CA
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Travel the PCH in a Rent-a-bus!

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Seems like it would be a good trial run for those considering purchasing a bus of their own, test the water so to speak. I think there are more and more rental outfits popping up.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 pm

satchmo wrote:Bill installs an automatic top end oiling system in his air cooled vehicles (ask me if you want to know more about it) that may help in this regard; it has certainly cut his head/valve failure rate down considerably.
Yes, very much interested. Is it proprietary?

Nice bus, nice little vacation.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:25 pm

I can't imagine trusting those who are new to buses with such a valuable ride. I would be very nervous to see it drive off. It must be cost effective somehow.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 pm

What campsites did you like best? This would be fun to do to save some time and wear and tear on Pickle.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:54 am

How fun! you found a bus to rent. I always wondered about wear and tear on the old VWs. Pfeiffer Big Sur is an awesome campground. Very beautiful with river and big trees. In the winter the most coveted spots by the river are open. Yes, I agree, this is a good time to travel the west coast. Sounds like you missed our bit of frost here in the valley. The last couple days were very clear, warm, and sunny.
71 bus, 74 westy

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:13 am

Hey Tim, I read your story to my wife, she said when you are ready to open a Bus rental in Florida with us, let me know.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 am

SlowLane wrote:
satchmo wrote:Bill installs an automatic top end oiling system in his air cooled vehicles (ask me if you want to know more about it) that may help in this regard; it has certainly cut his head/valve failure rate down considerably.
Yes, very much interested. Is it proprietary?

Nice bus, nice little vacation.
If you want to know more about the top end lubricator, check this web site (http://ampcolubes.com/home/benefits). The oiler connects to the intake distribution chamber on fuel injected models and to the carb throttle plate on engines with carbs. The oiler is loaded with Marvel Mystery oil and you set the delivery rate to whatever you like. The idea makes some sense, especially since gasoline today has very little ability to lubricate valves and valve guides. I'm sure you could ask Bill at VSW what his experience has been.

Here is a set up of the lubricator on a bug (Karmann Ghia- ed):

Tim

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:52 am

IFBwax wrote:What campsites did you like best? This would be fun to do to save some time and wear and tear on Pickle.
The best near-beach-side camping spot we found was in Carpinteria at Carpinteria State Park. The camp-ground seems a little like a city park, but a short walk over some dunes brings you to one of the nicest sand beaches I have ever seen. There are open spaces for ultimate frisbee or softball, several sand volley ball areas, and lots of showers to rinse all the sand away at days end. After you put the kids to bed, take a short walk to the tasting room of Island Brewing Co, or take your pick of several outstanding restaurants in the downtown area.

Along Big Sur, check out Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park in the redwoods, or Limekiln SP. The drive along the Big Sur coast is a definite 'must do' at least once, and a bus is the ideal vehicle for it. Pay no attention to the folks driving their Porsches with the top down.

Tim

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 am

Birdibus wrote:How fun! you found a bus to rent. I always wondered about wear and tear on the old VWs. Pfeiffer Big Sur is an awesome campground. Very beautiful with river and big trees. In the winter the most coveted spots by the river are open. Yes, I agree, this is a good time to travel the west coast. Sounds like you missed our bit of frost here in the valley. The last couple days were very clear, warm, and sunny.
A high of 79 is predicted for New Year's Day. :sunny: Can't beat that. It's gorgeous. I am out on my bike and into the San Gabriel Mtns as much as I can handle.

Send me a PM or an email sometime: I have a business proposition for you. Also, we need to get the starter back in the 74 and get it on the road. Maybe I should stop over to clean the carbs out at some point?

Tim

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 am

Sylvester wrote:Hey Tim, I read your story to my wife, she said when you are ready to open a Bus rental in Florida with us, let me know.
OKAY! Save your nickles and dimes. It could happen.

The real problem with the VW rental business is that you need to be working when everyone else is on vacation. The only solution is to operate the business and live in a place where you want to vacation.

Tim

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:43 pm

The last time I camped at Carpinteria, a nearby train crossing signal ding ding dinged all night long, arm stuck down. Santa Barbara county beach campgrounds are all next to rail tracks and/or highways. Same with north San Diego county. Oh well. The beaches are wonderful though.

Will Rogers State beach NW of Malibu is a lovely beach campground. No trains there.

PM coming.
71 bus, 74 westy