New AIRS List

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

New AIRS List

Post by sped372 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 pm

After trying (unsuccessfully) to update my information on the AIRS list for the past couple of years I thought it might finally be time for someone to come up with an alternative. I love the concept of the AIRS list, but it doesn't do much good if it's always out of date.

I threw together a quick and dirty proof-of-concept using a simple PHP address book. Please understand that it does not represent a finished work - it's just to get people thinking. You can search records, sort them, add categories (states and countries would make sense), send emails to multiple contacts, etc. It's really quite powerful already. If there is enough interest in the idea I will put more work into refining and polishing it.

http://newairs.zxq.net

Feel free to take a look and play around with it (please, keep it clean). There are no restrictions to the database right now, you can add, modify, and delete records freely. That may or may not be the best plan going forward... it's nice because everyone can keep themselves up-to-date but also dangerous because someone can inadvertently (or intentionally) mess with other listings. Things to think about.

I'd love to contribute to the VW community and I think the AIRS list is something that can certainly use the attention. Please add your feedback to this thread or the one I started on TheSamba.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Re: New AIRS List

Post by pb24ss » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm friends with the type2.com admin. It would be best to tie the AIRS list to them since the original one is. They would welcome someone to do all the work to make it happen. I can probable get a dump of the existing data and write a perl script to get it into SQL inserts or LDIF or whatever. What are you working with on the back end?
78 P22 Westy

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:20 pm

It's SQL... bear in mind that I wouldn't label myself an expert. I'm pretty good at picking things up on the fly, though. I'd be open to working with type2.com... not trying to steal anybody's thunder but really want to help keep the list current (even if that meant contributing services as a manual editor).
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm

admins@type2.com will reach the admin team. they would love the help in revamping the AIRS list.
78 P22 Westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

The problem is, how do you update the data? Too many people to contact. Word would have to get out that there is a new list out there. Sites like here and Samba do reach a lot of people. I always give the shout-out for the IAC!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:17 am

pb24ss wrote:admins@type2.com will reach the admin team. they would love the help in revamping the AIRS list.
Thanks. I'll shoot them an email.
hambone wrote:The problem is, how do you update the data? Too many people to contact. Word would have to get out that there is a new list out there. Sites like here and Samba do reach a lot of people. I always give the shout-out for the IAC!
Try to get the word out here and there. I figured that even having a mechanism to make it *possible* to update the list would be an improvement from where we are now.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:28 am

Nice idea sped!

It's probably obvious to let the posters at type2.com know as well.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 pm

...no reply from admins@type2.com yet.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vwtopia
I'm New!

Post by vwtopia » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 am

Not to hijack this thread but someone has done an excellent job with a new air cooled list. It is at http://www.aircooledrescue.com/ He took the old list and added to this website. I've emailed him acouple times and he has responded quickly. You are able to set up an account and log in and set up your information and change it. I then had him remove the old stuff for me.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 am

vwtopia wrote:Not to hijack this thread but someone has done an excellent job with a new air cooled list. It is at http://www.aircooledrescue.com/ He took the old list and added to this website. I've emailed him acouple times and he has responded quickly. You are able to set up an account and log in and set up your information and change it. I then had him remove the old stuff for me.
Awesome awesome awesome! Hijack welcome! Thanks for the link and the great news.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Can we sticky this link here?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 am

Interesting... I tried to access the link from my work computer and my corporate security blocked it. I'll try it from home (if I remember) and see if it works there.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

vwtopia
I'm New!

Post by vwtopia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 am

Can we sticky this link here?
Colin
I believe you can do anything you like Colin =D>

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I am on there now.
79 VW Bus

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:59 am

Very nice site. I haven't tried it, but hopefully it's easy to find/use from a mobile device.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!