If you received a college degree....

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:47 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:
I hope she isn't a blood relative, kind sir. (we see a lot of that in the nearby state of KY.)
At least I was only a capitalist pig, pig. She is not a blood relative.
Colin :cyclopsani:

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Colin~ What was the lure of Arcosanti? I knew some young men back then who spoke of wanting to go there. Was the promise met?
71 bus, 74 westy

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:
I hope she isn't a blood relative, kind sir. (we see a lot of that in the nearby state of KY.)
At least I was only a capitalist pig, pig. She is not a blood relative.
Colin :cyclopsani:
I was just playin', sir- I don't mind if you find romance at the reunion. I found mine from playing bass guitar in a band at a party...

(yet another tribute to bottomend)
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Birdibus wrote:Colin~ What was the lure of Arcosanti? I knew some young men back then who spoke of wanting to go there. Was the promise met?
I live for beauty, and it was a beautiful and intriguing spot. The buildings were gorgeous. The desert was gorgeous. Our little construction encampment was charming. I made several good friends down in the worker bee class. I was immature and overwhelmed however. There was so much internacine warfare and back-biting amongst Paulo Soleri's disciples. He did workshops there about once every two weeks when I was there. To see the fawning and scraping of the administrative people who, only minutes before, were haughty and arrogant, made my 21 year-old heart go hard. I loved the promise of human beings trying to be at-one with the environment however. The city was to be self-sustaining in every way. It ain't quite there yet.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Bachelor's in Music (tuba performance) from IU and a few credits short of a masters in the same from Boston University.

That was all in a former life, the REAL education has been everything after college.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm

I was going through old post that I seem to have missed on my hiatius from IAC (let's not speak of that again...:drunken:) and I came across this post. I find it very interesting. As noted, it's amazing how many are artist and engineer types or some sort of environmental studies. It would be interesting to actually meet some of you - I'm sure we all have much more in common than VWs! I find when I meet the type of person who is drawn to VWs, there are generally many more underlying similarities between us.

I wonder what it is about the VW (and in partiular, the Bay) that draws us to it, and why so many similar people seem to be involved with them.

Oh - I grew up the daughter of what Americans call a Forest Ranger, went to University in Vancouver, and majored in Computer Science but ended up as a computer graphics artist and now spend my days art directing video games. (and no, I don't play games all day! Only maybe for a while! :compress: )
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon May 14, 2007 6:58 am

77_Bus_Girl wrote:I wonder what it is about the VW (and in partiular, the Bay) that draws us to it, and why so many similar people seem to be involved with them.
What a Celestine Phropetic moment. I was thinging this same thing this weekend. Maybe Birdi can tell us what the least common denominator is.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon May 14, 2007 7:55 am

77_Bus_Girl wrote:I wonder what it is about the VW (and in partiular, the Bay) that draws us to it, and why so many similar people seem to be involved with them.
I think it is more the bay window bus than the VW scene all together. As a whole most are all great people doing something that they enjoy. But, there are also some who bring a bad attitude with them (just look over at "That Other Site"). Go to some of the shows and check out the people. Most of the vintage meets are pretty cool, but some of the ones like the bug o rama here in Calif can bring out the folks you wouldn't want to go camping with. This site was started because of some of those people.

And, that is what is so great about this site. There is something about folks who choose to drive a bay window bus that sets them apart. We have been called "Care Bears", "Gay Window", "Fat Chicks", but nothing takes away the joy we get by driving and talking about our buses. Sorry for going off topic here, just a Monday morning observation :flower:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Mon May 14, 2007 6:29 pm

It's in my blood and I've come to accept that I am in fact a guru of the bay window bus with great power to bring a dead bus back to life. :cheers:

I may sell Mary Kay products in honor of Sylvester's pink bus.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Tue May 15, 2007 5:16 am

Oh geez, let me add to 77_Bus_Girl's excellent observation/classification... :)

I have a Bachelor Of Fine Arts degree with an emphasis in Illustration.
I am a graphic artist making sales collateral (sales ads for sales reps) in the marketing department for the Yellow Pages. I too have a huge interest in nature, and at one point was going to be a marine illustrator (I love the ocean). Still working toward my ultimate goal of becoming a fine artist - haven't decided what I should paint/which direction to go, which is part of my problem! I love wildlife art, and it would be the most $$$, but my real love is more surrealistic type artwork. I really have always loved VW buses also - I'm drawn (no pun intended) to less mainstream vehicles.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue May 15, 2007 8:26 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:I may sell Mary Kay products in honor of Sylvester's pink bus.
Spoken like a broke Hoosier. You would have to sell a lot of eyeliner to get my Bus, kind sir.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.