Forum Stats...upd 1st Qtr p.8

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Forum Statistics

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:I agree w Sped. Colin and his story is what drives this site and he has not been as present this past year. I too expected to learn much more about my bus now that Colin was driving a bus w a type 1 engine, but that didnt happen.
Well, I did have the very most complex itinerary as far as my own car challenging me, such as generator rebuilds in the wilds above Los Alamos, exhaust gasket leaks in every western state, fan belt comparisons, broken door stay repair and failure in Utah! ball joint boots in Michigan, vent window rebuild in Atlanta, door seals in Livermore CA, speedometer rebuild and destroy in Texas on a levee, door latch spring replacement twice, rear brake spring fabrication and rear wheel bearing spacer fabrication on the day my computer expired in Connecticut, temperature test near Death Valley, clutch cable hack repair in Flagstaff area, and the eagerly awaited waxing of the inside of the front bumper steps, (followed by a master cylinder rebuild in a mall parking lot and a steering box disassembly) . . . all in the 2012 Itinerary stories (except the bottom two in General Chat).

This car has been a rich mother-lode of repair and refresh.
Is there something I missed? I am sure Chloe will get to them.
:blackeye:

So, I did a simple division to yield the following statistics:

Annual Itinerary Posts Per Annual Total Site Posts

2012 . . . 1 in 18
2011 . . . 1 in 18
2010 . . . 1 in 17
2009 . . . 1 in 34
2008 . . . 1 in 31
2007 . . . 1 in 56!

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 pm

hambone wrote: I do know the whole "turk" thing turned a LOT of people off, and after that fiasco a lot of "old timers" stopped posting.

Colin you also know you have a strong personality and some people just don't know how to take you, and move on after getting panty-bunched about misinterpretation.
Were these people annoyed with my decision or with turk?

Perhaps pot would knock off the edges. Send immediately :alien:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I regret being the foil, and suspect the bulk of annoyance wasn't with your decision Colin.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Colin, would you mind more technical posts regarding "mutant power"? I'm afraid I have led others astray from the pure aircooled path...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 pm

I, for one, would like to hear more about mutant power.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Yeah no sh*it Hal, you are the freaking evil emperor over here, somebody get him to knock it off. "I love the 1X Robot!"

Sometimes communities need their "alone time". I'd bet it always ebbs and flows. I can't speak for anyone else however.
I come to the IAC for
1. good vibrations
2. technical help
if either are amiss, then there goes the party. I also hope I have something to contribute once in awhile as well.
I do miss some of the people from the old days who slowly drifted away...
Keep the faith, carry on.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm

hambone wrote: I do miss some of the people from the old days who slowly drifted away...
Keep the faith, carry on.
I agree here, I miss them like old friends that moved away, got married, joined the circus, or sold the VW and now drive a Jeep and haunt those forums.

I suspect the loss of VW to the graveyard also is an attrition here.

Old VW's never die, they just fade away.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

I've been so busy fixin' n drivin' VW's I barely have time to post! I guess dealing with buses day in day out has worn on the novelty a bit, too, but not the love.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

tristessa wrote:Colin, would you mind more technical posts regarding "mutant power"? I'm afraid I have led others astray from the pure aircooled path...
If it is a Type 2 with some pig heart and octopus arms, sure in the Type 2 forum as a story of overcoming personal adversity. But let's think of what we want in Technical Forums like the Engine Forum.

What replacement engines are worthy of Technical Archiving? Not a cast-iron Ford 4. Not a GM V-6. Maybe a Subaru E22 . . . input?
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 am

Wasserboxer
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:53 pm

VW straight-4 (of various flavors)would be worthwhile to keep info around, along with Subaru EJ22/EJ25 flat-four which is almost a natural fit. Another possibility would be the Ford Zetec engine that Bostig's been putting into Vanagons .. I think it's only a matter of time before either someone independantly uses one in a Bay or Bostig produces their own swap.

My $0.02 on that subject...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Blechhhh barf.

All three of those are conversions I want nothing to do with.

The tiicos are shakey abominations, the subies are only good if you have piles of money to throw at them and/or never need on-the-road help, and the "conversion" bits of Bostigs are poorly made crap, get ready for broken motor mounts and wire looms when you're in the middle of BFE. The only inline 4 I'd humor would be a TDI. I laugh at most inline 4 conversions on the basis that if you think you are smarter than the Germans when it comes to building VW's, you are nuts. And if they thought the inline 4 was a good match for the bus/vanagon, they'da put one in, seeing as they made both powerplants at the same time.

If'n ya hafta mutate, I'm with dingo. The wasser is an awesome engine, with more than enough power to push a bus around. Keep it in the family, brethren!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Brazilian Bays use the inline four, radiator on the nose. Saw them all over southern Mexico. Rode in one with twenty other people, a local bus ride.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm

:king: Notice I said "Germans"

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I know that I'm posting less as I have gotten (ever so slightly) past the total newbie phase.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen