Rear brake shoes... big job or no?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Rear brake shoes... big job or no?

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:47 pm

My rear pads are squealing at me. Must be time to replace them. What kind of a day do I need to budget for that fix? I mean, is it a 2 hour job or a 6 hour job?

Cause if it's more than a two hour job, I'll probably put it off for another month or two. :)

*I'm assuming it's the rear pads... just starting squealing about a month ago and they really only squeak when I drive down the hill away from the house in the morning, after sitting all night. They squeal LOUD for the first couple stops, then don't squeal at all. Sound like the pads? Or something else?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Have you tried adjusting them? How is the E-Brake? Changing them is easy. Do one side at a a time. That way you can refer to the other side if you can't remember how something goes.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

fukengruvenoval
I'm New!

Post by fukengruvenoval » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:25 pm

You may want to check for the little rubber dust plugs in the backing plate. Sometimes if these are gone (and they usually are) moisture can get in there quite readily causing the drum to get a small coating of rust that "squeals" its way off with the first couple stops.

My more modern cars with four wheel disc brakes do this terribly after a rainstorm or a few days of sitting in high humidity...

Sluggo is right, though, while you're underneath checking the dust plugs, look in the inspection holes to see how much brake shoe is left, then adjust the brakes.
1976 Westfalia - "The Lime"
1972 Super Beetle - "The Lemon"
1966 Single Cab - "The Schmidty Splitty"
1965 Type 1 - "Junkyard Herbie"
1956 Type 1 - "The Crown Jewel"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:21 pm

Hmmm, I guess I don't understand how the brakes work like I thought I did because I didn't know that they would squeal as they wore, unless the pads were in need of replacement.

I'll give it a shot, though. Again, thanks guys.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:05 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Hmmm, I guess I don't understand how the brakes work like I thought I did because I didn't know that they would squeal as they wore, unless the pads were in need of replacement.

I'll give it a shot, though. Again, thanks guys.
They are called shoes. I think you have glaze/dust build-up.
If the linings are as-thick-or-more as the steel backings, they are still serviceable.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:17 am

Take an hour from your day and pull all the wheels and inspect the brakes ALL the way around, first. You might find an adjustment is all you need, or you may need a set of pads/ shoes/ wheel cylinders/ etc. Inspection is the first step to tell you how long you need for the repair.

you rule, Velokid!

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 am

VWBusrepairman78 wrote:Take an hour from your day and pull all the wheels and inspect the brakes ALL the way around, first. You might find an adjustment is all you need, or you may need a set of pads/ shoes/ wheel cylinders/ etc. Inspection is the first step to tell you how long you need for the repair.
Excellent Advice. I recently finished my brakes all the way around. It all started end of last summer when my braking got harder. I went to bleed the brakes last month and broke a bleeder valve on the back right wheel cylinder. So I ordered two new wheel cylinders with the plan to at least replace those. When I got in there my shoes on the back right were super oily and torn up. I then ended up replacing the shoes. The job itself isnt too difficult, just a little pulling and prying to get the shoes in and out of the wheel cylinder groove.

Then when I checked the back left brake, almost one entire shoe had disintegrated and the whole drum was one big oily mess of black stringy goo. The wheel cylinder on that side had a leak and was most likely the cause of my harder braking.

All in all, each wheel took me a couple hours to pull apart and clean, clean, clean and then reassemble. You'll need to then bleed your brakes when you're done. I'd give yourself a full day where you can go purchase new shoes and wheel cylinders if you have to. None of it was very hard and probably the hardest thing was getting off my lug nuts for the back wheels.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:52 am

Thanks, guys. Howdy, Ry-dog.

I did the fronts about 6 months ago. Replaced the lines to the rears about a year ago. Colin and I adjusted the rear in May '05.

I'll get back under and have a look. Maybe. Going for a trail ride on the motorcycle may grab my attention first.