It is home!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: It is home!

Post by tristessa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:Carter For President!
Eh, why not? They've got Jerry "Governor Moonbeam" Brown in California again. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Here is how I soundproofed the "new" bus. I ordered up 160 square feet (80 1' x 2' panels) of Damplifier from Second Skin. It is sort of a thick (~3mm) aluminum foil over a butyl membrane and sticks pretty good on a clean surface.

Here is what I started with....

It cleaned up pretty good with some "scubbing bubbles" and a good rinse....

The Damplifier has a paper backer that peels off and sort of looks like this....

I used full sheets whenever I could and you have to measure sometimes as you install...

They stick pretty good and then you use a small J roller to get good contact with the surface and roll out the air bubbles. Sometimes you have to slice it with a utility knife to get all of the air out that you can. The foil is sharp and I did manage to cut myself until I smartened up and used some gloves.

Here is sort of what it looked like when I was done. The plan was to cover about all of the inerior painted surfaces that would not show when the interior is re-installed. I went double layers over the engine compartment and under the rear seat. I used the small leftover pieces to do the spare tire well, most of the driver and passenger seats, and around the pedals.

More a little later....
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

That's impressive!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Holy cr*p!

Mexican Beige is much more beautiful than its name.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Damn Randy, that thing is going to be solid and quiet! Looks nice.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

I can't wait to take it on a spin around Maine! ;)
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 am

Randy in Maine wrote: Image

More a little later....
Gads Randy, you worked on the Space Shuttle?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Well here is the final soundproofing layer.

Also from Second Skin, it is called "Luxury Liner" and is about 3/8" thick. The bottom side is a high density foam and the top surface is some sort of a vinyl/plastic like layer. I bought 10 sheets (4'x2') and will use them all. I ran the new rear speaker "Monster Cable" and the 2 x 10 gauge wire for the heated seats taped to the damplifier layer and covered by the Luxury Liner.

It gets sprayed with an headliner type adhesive on both sufaces and is sort of like a contact cement. I did not attach it on the flat floors or over the top engine lid. I am not sure just what the floor surface will end up looking like as yet. Bamboo? Carpet?

I used some black duct tape to hold it all in place while it dried. I may leave it like that. I don't know.

So all in all I am in this sound deadening thing about $800 including shipping. It was kind of a lot of dough for me, and it all weighs about 100 pounds total. It took a few days to install it but it seems like a pretty decent product if you take the time to install it well. I deleted the 3/8" waferboard under the living room of the bus and will install the new floor on the 1/4" plywood that the carpet was glued on.

I am working on the windows next.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 pm

I guessed it was going to be several hundred at least. But jeez, it will be so easy on the nerves on long drives.

PS Bamboo would be nice.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Very cool Randy, what about a grass mat/weave type carpet with a little cushion? would be easy to clean and be more durable then wood....softer and warmer on the feet as well.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 am

An interesting thought. Let me think about that. :study:

I am going to do something a little different than the stock westy furniture that will work better for my needs. I am still trying to figure out how I want to do it.

By the way, my buddy Phil (aka "Whip618"), told me he would send me his handy little jig for installing the 3 x 2 /16" gauges under the radio. Once I get it and use it, I will let people borrow it if they want to.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 am

Randy in Maine wrote:...Once I get it and use it, I will let people borrow it if they want to.
Well...maybe not poptop tom
(Just kidding, poptop tom! Kidding!!! :geek: )

What kind of jig is this? A template?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 am

It is a template for drilling the 1/4" holes in the right location so that the 2 1/16" hole saw can be used later and a little 2 1/16" gizmo to let you neatly cut the vinyl dash with a utility knife for a nice flush fit.

It worked slick for Phil.
79 VW Bus

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 am

Hippie wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:...Once I get it and use it, I will let people borrow it if they want to.
Well...maybe not poptop tom
(Just kidding, poptop tom! Kidding!!! :geek: )

What kind of jig is this? A template?
Man, I knew that was coming!

Looks great, Randy! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the interior!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon May 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Some more progress to report. Finished the damplifer & luxury liner on the area above the front seats which will be hidden with the headliner. I bought 10 sheets (4'x2') and will use them all.

Rear tinted side windows are now in.....real work to install without the 6" suction cup the pro guys use....

Here is the rear untinted window. The defroster grid was 20 ohms (I don't know if that is good or not though)

New windshield after I broke the old one.....

New H4 Bosch 60/55 watt headlights...

New Hancooks 195R14s...serious meat D rated.

New door seals everywhere. Poptop seals.

I changed out most of the external hardware for stainless whereever possible....

And the high mounted LED tail and brake lights....

79 VW Bus