accelerator pedal pin

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

accelerator pedal pin

Post by skin daddio » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:59 pm

is there anything more fun than popping out a rusted gas pedal pin. its going to be like the upside down striped-headed frozen decklid screws, i know it. preparing the surface before submerging..

ed. how i love pb blaster. where would i be without it, phew.
german pins at oe veedub are almost 6 and shipping is 7... humph

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Re: accelerator pedal pin

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 am

still waiting on the pin to see about fit and fiddle. if/when pin is installed i'll know more about the geometry of the pedal, pull on the carb, power to the engine. feel free to relocate, delete, ban, yaah?

Sorry, I messed up. Am sending the pin today.

Richard
__

hi richard,

a quick note to verify you received paypal payment, and if my pin went out to eugene oregon.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 pm

skin daddio wrote:still waiting on the pin to see about fit and fiddle. if/when pin is installed i'll know more about the geometry of the pedal, pull on the carb, power to the engine.
A little tip on rusted accelerator hinge pins. If the pin is rusted in the bracket, you can assume that the bracket spot welds might also be weakened, right? And you have to drive that pin out with some force, if it is rusted in. So yes, you mentioned PB Blaster which is a good thing to douse liberally over the days leading up to the arrival of your new pedal hardware, but when you have to get hammering, get a socket that is the same edge profile as the bracket and backbrace it against your hits. This will take the load of the spot welds. It sucks when the whole bracket rips loose of the floor.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 pm

I bought one of these, but you will need to bold this to the floor pan unless you can weld.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J13009
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

pb blaster did this job for me. soak-drift-soak-drift and the third soak and tap with the drift removed the pin very easily. photo of old and new german pin below. still some weird pedal geometry, but its ninety percent better. i may monkey with the pedal to close the pin loops there.

looking forward to a test drive beyond the neighborhood to see if power is restored. either way no backfiring yet with the cylinder head cut.

i put a used cotter pin to hold the l-spring on the pedal, but the spring doesn't press very hard against the new pin. the cotter pin helps a little with installation of the pedal pin. while tempting it is to press the spring rearward, i'll leave it for a while at least until i get a new one from oeveedub with another order.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 am

Wow. That was overdue. Hate to think where mine's at.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 am

its one of the low spots, so if your windshield regularly leaked..

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:36 am

i agree: PB Blaster is a highly useful substance

i always add an extra spring below the pedal..helps remove any remaining wobble or slack...just have to find the right tension and angle
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 am

ruckman101 wrote:Wow. That was overdue. Hate to think where mine's at.

neal
Check it out. It's one of those things that can be easily avoided with just some lube once in a while. Once they freeze up it can play havoc with power delivery. Mine froze up. I fixed it...and I could tell I am getting more power because I am able to open the throttle all the way as well as move the throttle to different positions/speeds easier.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Manfred wrote:It's one of those things that can be easily avoided with just some lube once in a while.
Like so many things in life.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

static wrote:
Manfred wrote:It's one of those things that can be easily avoided with just some lube once in a while.
Like so many things in life.
Where's that pic of Gypsie and the Vaseline???

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Manfred wrote:I bought one of these, but you will need to bold this to the floor pan unless you can weld.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J13009
Nice to know that's available. Guess I better go lube my mess before I need all that though.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Stubborn pin for sure. Trying to get the pedal out of the way so I can wire brush away the rust and get some POR 15 onto it, and patch holes etc. I guess there is no trick, PB Blaster and time. Spring? There's supposed to be a spring?

neal

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 pm

That reminds me that I need to get back in there and see if I can bend the little flat spring up some more. I went in and cleaned up the pin awhile back and now it has a tendency to work its way out... if I remember correctly there's a smaller diameter portion in the center that the flat spring engages with to keep the pin centered within the whole assembly. I think I bent the flat spring down too much so it doesn't grab the pin any more.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 pm

skin daddio wrote:its one of the low spots, so if your windshield regularly leaked..
Nope, but water from the tire thrown through the gaping hole in the floor puddles there real nice.

neal