Replacing Speedo Cable?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Replacing Speedo Cable?

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:01 am

I've been hanging onto a new speedo cable for a year now and intend to finally get around to installing it sometime soon.

Last night I crawled under there to take a look. The connection to the speedo itself is self-explanitory, as is the routing of the cable, but I can't figure out how it attaches to the front hub and the Bentley doesn't seem to cover it.

I know it's a simple thing. Help?

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:08 am

It is simple...pop off the hubcap and look at the dust cover on the hub (where the bearing reside) for the left front wheel. There is a small "c" clip that holds the end of the speedo cable to the hub. Clean off the area first and you will see what I'm talking about.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:11 am

The cable should slide through the backing plate and through the center of the wheel all the way until it sticks out of the cap.

There is a small C-clamp outside the cap that holds the cable in place. Don't lose that clamp is it seems to be an odd size.

Not much to it.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks, guys.

Seems odd that the Bentley would explain how to change your windshield wipers and air up your tires and yet say nothing about the speedo cable. Long live Muir.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:19 am

Velokid1 wrote:Thanks, guys.

Seems odd that the Bentley would explain how to change your windshield wipers and air up your tires and yet say nothing about the speedo cable. Long live Muir.
If your old cable has a rubber plug where it enters the steering spindle, transfer it over to the new cable. This plug prevents moisture entering the wheel bearing area, important.

To help improve quietude and smoothness, wire tie the cable to the front beam exactly where the factory did, and wire tire the cable to the steering column support bracket. Not too tight. This helps prevent the little cable wind-up/releases that make your needle dance.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Tanx! That's exactly why I'm changing the cable now... it started chattering at me and the needle dancing.

I've been without a speedo for a year now. I figure as long as all the other vehicles are overtaking me, I'm going the normal ACVW speed, which is much slower than would garner any patrolman's interest in me.

Greg (who likes this new forum, by the way.)

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 pm

I DO
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:07 pm

and now that I've posted my useless thread post, I'd like to ask a question on the same topic.

What happens to the speedo cable that would make it go bad? Aside from getting a big kink in it or having it get all rusty why would it go bad?
63 Gulf Blue Notch

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm

My guess with mine is that it had an un"natural" bend in it and, as you know, the cable spins inside the cable housing. I bet a bend would eventually cause either the cable or the housing to rupture- any kind of "burr" inside of there would first start creaking as the cable spins, getting caught up and making the needle dance, and then eventually break.

Mine only got to creak for a couple weeks before I got sick of it and disconnected the speedo.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Velokid1 wrote:My guess with mine is that it had an un"natural" bend in it.
Some replacement cables have cheesy cheap plastic sheaths inside the spiralbound cable. They do need decent lubrication, too. Some have it, some don't.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles