First Post

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:50 pm

When I have time I can do one on "noisy front bearings." That was my favorite project thus far.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:36 pm

There is going to be a serious revamp of the site come my visit with Sluggo.

Vehicle forums are going to be consolidated and simplified, they will be the root community where the preponderance of day-to-day conversation takes place.

The technical forums will be laid out by system with a general troubleshooting guide at the beginning, followed by each system's unique trouble-shooter at the top of their specific heading. We are hoping for a windows-style troubleshooter with successively opening windows that pose their specific question yes/no/try something else so it will guide you down the correct path. Pictures will either pop up right there, or links will be available. As the book (ah, the book 8-[ 8-[ ) fills in, I can have diagrams from it, otherwise, I have a lot of pictures and scanning to do to cover things in the meantime. The forum topics will be people's personal experiences with actual repairs, and we will ask for more specific topicality to help keep things clear. You can go to your vehicle forum to crow about a succesful outcome. . . or share your bafflement.
Colin
Don't be telling anyone just yet. . . I don't know if I can pull it off. But it would be cool to have a serious high-quality draw to the site. I will be available to start filling the art side in come November.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:03 am

Allow me to just say that Internet Explorer sucks.

That is all.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am

Amskeptic wrote:Vehicle forums are going to be consolidated and simplified, they will be the root community where the preponderance of day-to-day conversation takes place.
Isn't that the General Chat and free speech forum right there? I'm all for losing the specific vehicle forums or at least burrying them in sub-forums and I like the technical division which I think will be pure gold.

I worry a bit though that if the technical forums become too strict on daily topics it will be a repeat of other sites and past events. It's easy for people to live and browse within one forum, so maybe using sub-forums where you can either view ALL topics or sub-forum topics would be a good idea. When you enter a post it has to fit either General topic or one of the specified sub-topics making it easy for us all to visit one common busy forum but allow us to focus on specific technical areas if we need to.

Then again I'm not programming this and don't have to get the sub-forum mods implemented and thats Sluggo who is doing a great job, so either way. I think this site is taking off strong. I really like the vibe right now.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:There is going to be a serious revamp of the site come my visit with Sluggo.

Vehicle forums are going to be consolidated and simplified, they will be the root community where the preponderance of day-to-day conversation takes place.

The technical forums will be laid out by system with a general troubleshooting guide at the beginning, followed by each system's unique trouble-shooter at the top of their specific heading. We are hoping for a windows-style troubleshooter with successively opening windows that pose their specific question yes/no/try something else so it will guide you down the correct path. Pictures will either pop up right there, or links will be available. As the book (ah, the book 8-[ 8-[ ) fills in, I can have diagrams from it, otherwise, I have a lot of pictures and scanning to do to cover things in the meantime. The forum topics will be people's personal experiences with actual repairs, and we will ask for more specific topicality to help keep things clear. You can go to your vehicle forum to crow about a succesful outcome. . . or share your bafflement.
Colin
Don't be telling anyone just yet. . . I don't know if I can pull it off. But it would be cool to have a serious high-quality draw to the site. I will be available to start filling the art side in come November.
I am up for the challenge. The troubleshooter with pop ups is no problem. I'm fine with HTML so the trouble shooting, graphics, technical side of the site will easy. I'll be buying a book on PHP on pay day and start looking at other forum options to figure out which is best with photos and layout.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Sluggo, I'd be glad to send you a decent, easy to understand PHP book.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:31 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Sluggo, I'd be glad to send you a decent, easy to understand PHP book.
PLease do. Send me a PM. How much would you want for it?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------