34 PICT 3 dialing in

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: 34 PICT 3 dialing in

Post by hambone » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Spot-on dwell makes the engine run much better. Maybe I'm just crazy enough to notice.
Without a dwell meter, you have no idea of what that gap should be.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote:What are we talking about here?
The plate is supposed is supposed to rotate in a controlled arc. As described in my post above, under strict parameters, it rotates in a brief arc at the behest of the vacuum unit.
So what is "float"? What were you asking? Something about looseness, or the fact that it is supposed to move at all?
Anything more than a tightly controlled arc, piloted by the center hole, changes the point gap as it slops away from the breaker cam lobes.
I tell you what, tomorrow I will set the gap and check the dwell, and take a video of what I am doing with some pictures and show you what I mean. I know it is not rocket science but hey, the more I understand the better this Bus will run, eh Brutus?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Sylvester wrote:hey, the more I understand the better this Bus will run, eh Brutus?
This is what I live for.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:21 am

Will have to do the pictures later, but yesterday the dwell was at 41. It took me an hour to set it right, actually I hit it at 50-51. I timed it after tha but had no time to do a test run, that will be this morning. I will report.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 am

Sylvester wrote:Will have to do the pictures later, but yesterday the dwell was at 41. It took me an hour to set it right, actually I hit it at 50-51. I timed it after tha but had no time to do a test run, that will be this morning. I will report.
50* the one people call the holy grail, is pretty near the wear limit. Shoot for 45-47* which is a nice slide of the feeler blade with no rattle no drag.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Will have to do the pictures later, but yesterday the dwell was at 41. It took me an hour to set it right, actually I hit it at 50-51. I timed it after tha but had no time to do a test run, that will be this morning. I will report.
50* the one people call the holy grail, is pretty near the wear limit. Shoot for 45-47* which is a nice slide of the feeler blade with no rattle no drag.
Colin
Now you tell me! I was hitting 45-47 for 20 minutes and could not hit 50 to save my life! It does run a lot better today, no stammer at 60 plus!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Now you tell me! I was hitting 45-47 for 20 minutes and could not hit 50 to save my life! It does run a lot better today, no stammer at 60 plus!
Crap boy. I been telling everyone since dirt. 45* is the optimum, factory lets points wear down to 50* factory spec is 44-50* dwell only goes up over time, don't nobody listen? You listenin boy?