Rob's Blue Bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Rob's Blue Bus

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:06 pm

I traded one of my Baja Bugs for this. 1972 Bus 8 pass. walkthrough. The engine was covered in crap but was all there. PO bolted an oil cooler to the drivers side heater box :pale: . There was also a pair of Dellortos on it as well. :cheers:
I already purchased another engine. Just in the process of removing/cleaning/ and tranfering parts. Interior is in pretty good shape. Original radio. Missing middle seat. Here are a couple of pics to get you guys started. Let me know if you want detailed shots of anything.

The old engine :pukeleft:

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 pm

I just want your all black interior!
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Nice year and it looks great.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

congrats, cool bus!
1979 California Transporter

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 am

I've been reading alot of the rebuild threads here. Even the first timers made it look easy. Someday I wish for a visit from from Colin, just for fine tuning stuff. Progress seems to be going pretty slow right now. Not much fun in cleaning parts [-(

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:30 am

Not much fun in cleaning parts
Amen to that Bruddah! But when it's all put back together and it's immaculate the worth is immeasurable.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:17 pm

rmannon wrote:
Not much fun in cleanin parts
Amen to that Bruddah!
It just depends on where you clean the parts . . . :flower:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Ha hey, that is essentially the bus I want to get.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:10 am

I think we all want a bus like that.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:39 pm

not me too!! stock to cut up and make my own.. :pirate:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:28 pm

I doubt it will ever look as nice as Colins up the rear skirt. That exhaust came out sexy BTW. =D>

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Rob's Blue Bus

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Now that it's finally not freezing I snuck into the garage after my wife left for work. Started pulling the clutch and flywheel off as well as the fuel pump. I was starting a list of things to get of course starting with...A new clutch kit...not bad @ a couple hundred...Fuel Pump :angryfire: $150 Whatthehellisthatallabout?? And a question... should I take my flywheel in to be cleaned up or just buy a new one?

BTW. I did pick up a torch. It's actually for plumbing (have issues so it was easy to purchase in front of wife :thumbleft: ) but haven't hit the exhaust nuts with it yet. I'll try it tomorrow.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:32 am

bajaman72 wrote:And a question... should I take my flywheel in to be cleaned up or just buy a new one?
Take it to a machine shop and have them clean it if you can't. Aren't flywheels pretty sturdy?
bajaman72 wrote:BTW. I did pick up a torch. It's actually for plumbing (have issues so it was easy to purchase in front of wife :thumbleft: )
We all have issues but that is a great way to buy something with the wife's approval! :thumbright: heh
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:19 pm

It's been awhile but I have been messin with it. I tried PB Blaster,WD 40, and any other penetrating oil I could get my hands on. Nuthin worked. Finally busted open my FatBoy plumbing torch and cooked em up good n hot... STILL NO LUCK!! Got pissed and wrenched on 1 until the stud broke... 5 more to go. Ended up with a hammer and chisle, was able to splt a couple of nuts, the remaining I was able to get to turn using the hammer and chisle. FINALLY.. the exhaust is off. Was able to get my heater boxes off with no damage and the remaining tins are off. Now it's time to put the new engine on the stand and start buttoning back up. Still need to get some tidbitts before I get started. Endplay shims come to mind, Rear seal, dipstick boot, some tin rubber.. is there a kit for this? Still have to clean and paint some more tins :pukeright:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 am

bajaman72 wrote:It's been awhile but I have been messin with it. I tried PB Blaster,WD 40, and any other penetrating oil I could get my hands on. Nuthin worked. Finally busted open my FatBoy plumbing torch and cooked em up good n hot... STILL NO LUCK!! Got pissed and wrenched on 1 until the stud broke... 5 more to go. Ended up with a hammer and chisle, was able to splt a couple of nuts, the remaining I was able to get to turn using the hammer and chisle. FINALLY.. the exhaust is off. Was able to get my heater boxes off with no damage and the remaining tins are off. Now it's time to put the new engine on the stand and start buttoning back up. Still need to get some tidbitts before I get started. Endplay shims come to mind, Rear seal, dipstick boot, some tin rubber.. is there a kit for this? Still have to clean and paint some more tins :pukeright:
When is your complete factory dual carb set-up arriving? We could have a productive IAC day.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles