Rob's Blue Bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Rob's Blue Bus

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm

No factory dual carb setup here. Bus had Dellorto's on it when I bought it. Was hoping I can re-use them.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 pm

bajaman72 wrote:No factory dual carb setup here. Bus had Dellorto's on it when I bought it. Was hoping I can re-use them.
When you get sick of finicky piggy. . . gimmee a call.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 am

The Dellortos are in pretty bad shape. Still need a full rebuild. Was also thinking Kadrons.. but I still have a ways to go before I can even think about the carbs. Gonna be ordering some seals n gaskets n stuff in the next week or so. Still have to clean and paint the tins :(

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Let the bashing begin..

It's temporary. I promise. Just need to get the bus in and out of the garage (to clean/organize) while I deal with the 1700 (still). The type 1 that is in it is a beater spare engine and its basically to pull the bus in and out. My garage is a crap hole and I have other vehicles to deal with as well and would like to use the garage when needed. It's gettin cold in these parts and snow will be here soon :(

I did purchase a gasket set, front and rear seals, dipstick tube rubber, and new sheet metal screws from Bus Boys (I think, it's been a while) I still need to sandblast and paint the tin before re-assembly.

I really like seeing an engine in it, It had a single quiet pack muffler but it hung down pretty low and was worried it would hit when pulling out of the garage, so I swapped out with a stockish looking dual tip system I had laying around and it picked up pretty good.

Soon the garage will be clean, and I have another project im dealing with at the moment, but her time is coming :flower:

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:56 pm

My other project (1965 Dodge D100) is finally gone. Cleaned up the garage and got the Bus pulled back in. Nice being able to move it in and out I tell ya. My first drive ever it was poppin and sputterin. Next day I checked valves and most of the adjusters and nuts were laying in the valve covers! Musta forgot to adjust those... After a re-adjust it runs pretty good.
First order of business is my front brake hose. Drivers front caliper is closing more and more with every pedal push. Tried bleeding and getting a black ooozzzy stuff coming out. I purchased front brake hoses and will swap out today.. next will be my windshield. Found one locally (well, kinda local) for $95 in great shape. I'll go pick it up next week.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm

bajaman72 wrote:My other project (1965 Dodge D100) is finally gone. Cleaned up the garage and got the Bus pulled back in. Nice being able to move it in and out I tell ya. My first drive ever it was poppin and sputterin. Next day I checked valves and most of the adjusters and nuts were laying in the valve covers! Musta forgot to adjust those... After a re-adjust it runs pretty good.
First order of business is my front brake hose. Drivers front caliper is closing more and more with every pedal push. Tried bleeding and getting a black ooozzzy stuff coming out. I purchased front brake hoses and will swap out today.. next will be my windshield. Found one locally (well, kinda local) for $95 in great shape. I'll go pick it up next week.
So the Type 1 engine is still doing driveway trolling duty? What is the status of the rightful dual carb Type 4 engine?
Colin

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 pm

That one is waiting for Mr. Colin to arrive sitting on a stand. Still gathering as many parts as I can before your visit. Just want someone to explain while I go along. I kinda know the type 1 but this one is unchartered territory.
First Brake hose is on. What a pain. Not really, but not as easy as I figured. :scratch:

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:50 pm

The other hose went on smoothly. I forgot the brake fluid since I was not really expecting to do this today. I can already feel the difference in the pedal. Before it was as hard as a rock. Now they go to the floor :geek:
Old Hose

New Hose

I was thinking about taking out the windshield and see if there is something I should deal with before installing a new one. I don't think there is any rust but you never know.

Couple of pics of area.

Is the chrome trim still available somewhere? Mine seems to be not so chrome anymore :blackeye:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:05 pm

bajaman72 wrote: Is the chrome trim still available somewhere? Mine seems to be not so chrome anymore :blackeye:
Get the pre-'71 deluxe windshield seal with the groove that accepts anodized aluminum trim, and yes, the anodized aluminum trim is available for who knows how long. I would love to find a roll of the plastic chrome window trim so I don't have to replace the BobD's window rubber . . .
Clean clean prime prime window channel, paint paint, let cure, install windshield carefully.
Colin

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:the anodized aluminum trim is available for who knows how long.
Colin
Sounds Expensive :cussing:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 am

bajaman72 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:the anodized aluminum trim is available for who knows how long.
Colin
Sounds Expensive :cussing:
NONE of this stuff is expensive. Your VW only appreciates as it gets better.
Go break a windshield in a Lexus and decide to replace the decorative trim because of a rock nick.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:49 am

Or just ditch the trim. Form follows function, it's not the end of the world. It's nice but really kind of garish and doesn't serve a bit of function.
Change for my dime, please!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:07 pm

hambone wrote:Or just ditch the trim. Form follows function, it's not the end of the world. It's nice but really kind of garish and doesn't serve a bit of function.
Change for my dime, please!
Garish

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Sorry for not getting here sooner. A lot has happened since the last post. I ended up taking out the windshield and found no rust. I do have a little surface rust on the metal part of the dash I will clean up before the windshield goes in. So I guess the Bus get's full rights to the garage. (poor Baja)
I also removed the type 1 engine. My buddy seized his engine in his buggy so I stuck it in his car to keep him rollin'.
Hours got cut again but im trying to stay positive. I REALLY want to drive my Bus soon:)

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Been working on the bus a little. Figured it was time to update.
Called SafeTlite for a windshield install. They used the regular window seal instead of the one with trim. I'm okay with it. Looks great!

I also purchase a cheapo HF blast cabinet to get the process started on the tins. A lot done.. this box is full of tins..

Here is some more left...

I started taking the engine down a little more to blast the shroud plus various tins still on it as well.

Getting closer :tongue: