nylon bushing

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

nylon bushing

Post by dingo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Nylon shift-rod bushing..the one at the very front: old one just fell out...
How do i get the new one in there ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Put into 1st gear. Remove the front shift rod coupler set screw. Pull gear shift smartly into 2nd. On a good day, this will disengage or at least break loose the front from rear shift rods. On a bad day, you shift back into 1st, go to the back and visegrip the rear shift rod right at the edge of the welded tube and go back and shift into 2nd to break the coupler's grip. Usually you will have to unbolt the stop plate from the floor and lift the gearshift right out of the front rod socket so you can pull the front rod far enough rearward to slip it out of the hole in the cross member where the bushing lives. After replacing the bushing and reassembling the coupler, you will need to adjust the reverse cut-out in the stop plate. Familiar with that?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm

thanks much..that procedure makes sense. The reverse-thing adjustment sounds familiar...perhaps when i see it my memory will be jogg-ed
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 pm

dingo wrote:thanks much..that procedure makes sense. The reverse-thing adjustment sounds familiar...perhaps when i see it my memory will be jogg-ed
Engage 2nd. Have stop plate 13mm bolts slightly loose. Slide stop plate housing side-to-side until shift lever is coming up vertical out of the floor, before it bends towards the driver's seat. Then move stop plate housing fore-and-aft until you feel a little play both forwards and backwards when you *gently* move the gear shift. Get a flat bladed screwdriver and push the stop plate itself, there is a slot on the right side at the center bottom of the housing, towards the driver's seat. This sets the second gear gate. Reverse now can only be engaged by pushing down so the shifter can move over to reverse. Remember that the pivot makes your left movement actually go right at the stop plate. Tighten stop plate bolts and test. Good Luck.
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 am

worked out nicely...shifting smoothly..so far so good. muchas gracias!
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:38 am

I finally broke down and ordered the front donut bushing and a new stop plate. (I also got a rear coupler just in case, though mine looks good now.) Hopefully I can clean up the shifting. Just too clunky for me though it works fine.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:22 pm

Becareful when you install the new bushings. They may not be an exact match. I was with sluggo when he did his a couple of months ago and we had some issues. DOnt destroy the old ones untill you know you can get the new ones in place.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:42 pm

bottomend wrote:Becareful when you install the new bushings. They may not be an exact match. I was with sluggo when he did his a couple of months ago and we had some issues. DOnt destroy the old ones untill you know you can get the new ones in place.
Didn't you and I have to carve a hard plastic front shift rod bushing to get it to fit, over at that place where we did your CVs with that dual sliding door bus?
How's KC?
Colin