Some Oil Filtration Comparisons

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Some Oil Filtration Comparisons

Post by Hippie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Anyway, I wanted to share some comparisons of common oil filters'
apparent cleaning ability.

The way I do this is to carefully cut the filter elements out of the cans without damaging them. Some elements are open at both ends, and I seal these tight at the end that goes toward the dome of the canister--away from the threaded end. I have a bread loaf pan of 5W-20 motor oil that I have mixed in a copious quantity of talcum powder (about 10 microns average as per The Filter Council); about half a cupful per quart. The mixture is thoroughly stirred, and the filter elements to be compared are immediately lowered in at the same time. When the the center tubes of the elements are full of filtered oil, A syringe is fitted with a 12 inch piec of 1/8 inch inside diameter tubing which is used to stir the inner contents of the filter and then draw a sample. The sample tubes are filled and plugged with pieces of nails at both ends. These sample tubes will be mounted vertically for more than a week to view the amount of filtrate that stacks up on the bottoms for comaprison. However, a lot can be seen just by the initial clarity of the diffeent samples.
I also note which filter elements fill faster/flow better.

A mention about the filters' advertized efficiencies:
The PureOne model that I used--a PL20195 states 99.9% efficient at 20 microns. (20 one-thousandths of a millimeter)

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-209 states 99.2% efficiency, but without giving a particle size for which it can earn this rating. However, by telephone to the maker, Champion Labs, they told me they were "in the ballpark of a 10 micron nominal" filter. This means they catch about half the 10 micron sized particles--and more as the debris gets bigger of course.

The Toyota OEM made by Denso, part number 90915-YZZD1 stated nothing specific.

The Fram PH3593A (orange can) is shown as 95% efficient >20 microns. Presumably, they think you don't know what > means.

The WIX built NAPA Gold 1348 has a nominal rating of 21 microns and a Beta of 2/20=21/37. The beta means 21 micron at 50% and 37 microns at 95% catch, respectively.

The K&N HP-1004 I used, according to K&N via email:
Filter media efficiency (per ISO 16889):

100% at 40 microns

100% at 35 microns

100% at 30 microns

99.4% at 25 microns

98.9% at 20 microns

97.1% at 15 microns

92.3% at 10 microns

82.5% at 5 microns

But I am skeptical of the test conditions as this element was tested twice and never gave as clear of filtrate as it should have by comparison with know filter types.

Here are some pictures:

Left to right: Fram orange, WIX, K&N
These have settled for a few days. I am non-plussed by the NAPA Gold/WIX. But This does correspond to the given betas, efficiencies, in my opinion. It is a well built filter, but has never been an outstanding performer in my cleaning tests. I used Fram for the low standard.
The Wix NG still did a bit better than the K&N.

Left to right: PureOne, Toyota OEM (Denso), Mobil 1 E.P., WIX, K&N
It is hard to tell from the photo, but there is a clear visual difference in the first three, and the second two. The order of cleanliness from best to worst is also left to right. The PureOne, as expected, was outstanding. The Denso and M1 were almost the same but I have to give the nod to the Denso. The Denso also flowed best of all. The WIX and K&N were a bit on the mediocre side of cleanliness but both flowed well.
The PureOne flows twice as fast as the same models made several years ago. There must have been some concern about strat-up valve rattle--but I am speculating on that. The flow charts I have seen for the PureOnes show a nice, pleasing flow curve comparing favorably to other popular filters. The M1 flows about 2/3 again as fast as the PureOne in my test.
Of course, these are all at room temperature with gravity pushing the oil in.

So there you have it. Numbers are numbers, ads are ads, and dirt is dirt when held up to the light.

Rob

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I want to add some info here for non-filtration-buffs:

1. Most late consensus out there seems to be is that particles in the 10 to 20 micron range cause most engine wear due to abrasion.

2. This test was a single pass test and more particles will be caught with repeated oil circulation. However, and this is important, there is a point of diminishing returns on the finer particles. For example, the ratings filter manufactures usually give, e.g. the 99.2% efficiency of the Mobil 1, are already based on multi-passes until the filter plugs up.
In other words, you would not get likely crystal clear oil with these milky-results-filters by running it round and round in the engine.

3. Ford ran engine wear tests with full-flow filters back in the 1950s and just having a filter on there--even with the primitive filter media available at the time--reduced abrasive engine wear two-fold and dramatically increased the life expectancy of the engine.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Have you posted this on TS? This is way better than the rust paint comparision.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 am

No I didn't. I posted it on Bobistheoilguy.com though where it will likely be understood and appreciated more than on TS.
TS is loaded with ice-holes that will argue just for the sake of it. Let them do their own homework.
OK. Rant over--I will post it there. :pirate:

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:56 am

You mean those "Internet Know it alls"........ :pukeleft:
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:18 am

Bobistheoilguy.com has 27,000 members! Wow. That's pretty neat.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:15 am

BITOG is a nice forum.
So I posted it on TS and the only reply so far was asking why I didn't test Mann or Mahle filters.
I'm thinking the test instructions are right there. If one wishes they can buy their own expensive filters and cut them up. :scratch:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:51 am

Hippie wrote:BITOG is a nice forum.
So I posted it on TS and the only reply so far was asking why I didn't test Mann or Mahle filters.
I'm thinking the test instructions are right there. If one wishes they can buy their own expensive filters and cut them up. :scratch:
Sorry I put you through that.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:45 am

Very nice testing Hippie. So the PureOne looks to be the winner from the bunch.

If you did have the time it would be nice to see how the Mann/Mahle filter compares to the other filters you tested just because all the bus shops seem to sell those.

Do you think your results would be different with 20w-50 oil?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 am

I will be removing the Fram filter on the Lexus and getting an OEM Toyota Denso filter, post-haste . . . My intuition says Fram don't know crap about how to feed a complex V8 with their little bitty filter.
Colin :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:35 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Sorry I put you through that.
Naw! Just joking.

Adventurewagen wrote:Do you think your results would be different with 20w-50 oil?
Nope. It would fill the filter more slowly, but the relative dirt content between all the filters would be the same.
If you send me one of these and I'll be happy to run it. But I have to order them and it gets 'spensive.
Amskeptic wrote:I will be removing the Fram filter on the Lexus and getting an OEM Toyota Denso filter, post-haste . . . My intuition says Fram don't know crap about how to feed a complex V8 with their little bitty filter.
Colin :flower:
In my opinion, Fram has an incredible ability to create a filter that both flows and filters with stellar mediocrity--and doing so with a flimsy collapsible element assembly. But hey, at least they figured out how to charge more for it than a superior filter.

The paper pleats are supported only by cardboard endcaps which are not able to be attached securely to the ends of the center tube.
What can happen is that the pressure of the oil over time distorts the pleats and leaves the center tube exposed at both ends. The oil bypasses the pleats and is no longer being filtered.

The Toyota/Denso (Toyota owns Denso) is a good little filter for a reasonable price. I pay about $5.50 each at the dealer.
Denso is a unique design. You can see how much media they put in the little canister by eliminateing endcaps. The pleats are thermally bonded closed at the ends, and also to the center tube. The bypass valve takes up little space. This Denso element has been soaked with oil for several months and is still stiff as a board. It is also the one that I used for the above tests.

These two are for the same application:

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Very nice, Hippie! Glad to see that the Denso filters perform well. They're all I've ever used in my wife's Toyota...

...and, embarrassingly, oil changes are just about the only maintenance I ever do on that car.
:blackeye:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:18 pm

bretski wrote:Very nice, Hippie! Glad to see that the Denso filters perform well. They're all I've ever used in my wife's Toyota...

...and, embarrassingly, oil changes are just about the only maintenance I ever do on that car.
:blackeye:
^^^What was that? I didn't hear that!?^^^

That's good. I use these OEMs too on my Tacoma.

The Bus' choice has been a little problematic for me because there was no filter on the '69 1600 until I put on a remote set-up. So it's not like I could just look one up in a apps book at the store.
What I ended up deciding is whatever fits an '84 Scirocco will work.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:If you did have the time it would be nice to see how the Mann/Mahle filter compares to the other filters you tested just because all the bus shops seem to sell those.
I think I have one of each that I could donate to research, if you're willing, Hippie.

I'll bring them to Galena tomorrow.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Sure! (or shore as I say it) Bring me a whatever you want butchered and dirtified. (I always cringe a little at cutting open a brand new quality filter.)