Little Trains Restoration Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Little Trains Restoration Thread

Post by LittleTrainJames » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:08 pm

When I was a kid, I had a 57 Chevy Pickup Truck. I spent every day hand sanding that thing (very rusty) and never saw any progress and eventually quit. I had no mentors to point me in the right direction and failed miserably. That "episode" has always haunted me. I need to make it right and hopefully this bus will be more than something I drive but also an example of how to go from A to Z in all things.

Anyway, felt I had to get that off my chest.

Here's the bus:

Here's the engine:

Here's the interior:

Here's some rust:

Here is what I want it to look like (elm green, white crisp interior):

This should be fun and also quite an adventure as I know absolutely nothing about body work or mechanics. I'm pretty resourceful though.

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and my bus, eventually I'll name it, at this point it is in the womb.

:bobd:
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm

You are being haunted by the ghost of Car Restoration Projects Past.

Which is acctually found in the first draft of A Christmas Carol, but was omitted by Mrs. Dickens because she hated that "damned car!"

But congrats on pushing the bolder back up the hill.

And welcome to the site. I'm more or less a newbie, also, but for the last 8 months this gals and guys have help me out a lot.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Good Folks

Post by LittleTrainJames » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Yeah, the people on this forum seem approachable. Which I appreciate very much.

Thanks
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello James, welcome. Pretty bus. How long have you had it?

Read about a product called POR-15 rust treatment. It is a paint that dries rock hard onto rust and stops it. It is excellent because it allows you to save metal by eliminating the need to grind away rust. You have to scrub off loose rust and clean the area according to directions, but once the site is prepared, the POR-15 sinks into the rust and bonds tightly with it. It's sort of tricky to use, so please read more. You need to cover it with another coat of paint because it deteriorates in sunlight.

If your rust is cancerous and has holes, then you need to weld in new metal (big holes) or use a good, non porous body filler (tiny holes).
71 bus, 74 westy

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for the info Birdibus.

I have been working on the bus over the summer, I got it in mid July and usually get to spend 15 minutes a day on things. The joys of fatherhood take up most of my time.

I have gutted it, sanded most of the interior rust, put down Por 15 and painted the interior white. I'll post some pics, just got around to starting this thread a little late.

I love POR-15.

I'll get some photos up to show you the progress.

Thanks for the reply though, every day is an adventure, that's for sure.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Re: Little Trains Restoration Thread

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm

LittleTrainJames wrote:Here is what I want it to look like (elm green, white crisp interior):

And the cute Fraulein as well?

It's a nice combo, green and white, I mean.

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing the progress.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Definitely a cute Fraulein. That's if my wife will wear the outfit. =D>

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 pm

LittleTrainJames wrote:Definitely a cute Fraulein. That's if my wife will wear the outfit. =D>
The worst thing she could say is "no" - which makes it worthwhile to ask :cheers:

James - welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've got a great candidate there - your bus is really in nice condition, just looks like a little love needed here and there. This one will be easier to stay motivated with than your old chevy - these vehicles have a soul (right sluggo?) and respond kindly to a little veedub love. My problem is I spend a little too much time in the garage tinkerin' and goofin' around. I could use a little bit less motivation when it comes to my bus. Post lots of pics so we can drool over them. Good peeps around here and always willing to lend a few keystrokes to a your worthwhile cause. I wonder if whc03grady lives near you in MT.
-'72 Westy-

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 am

James - I was thinking about this last night and forgot to tell you. You want to get that fuel filter re-located to just after the tank outlet and out of the engine compartment especially without hose clamps -- We don't want a leak to happen and spill on your sparking distributor - BOOM!! FLAMES!! CRY, CRY, CRY -

then this.......
Five Stages Of Grief

Denial and Isolation.
At first, we tend to deny the loss has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.

Anger.
The grieving person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt, or at the world, for letting it happen. He may be angry with himself for letting the event take place, even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.

Bargaining.
Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, "If I do this, will you take away the loss?"

Depression.
The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.

Acceptance.
This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the loss.
-'72 Westy-

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 am

I think he's hitting on your wife, James.
And the cute Fraulein as well?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks for the tip Oregon.

I have already clamped the Fuel lines but definitely want to move the filter.

In fact I need to pull the engine and go through the whole fuel system, hoses and tank and all.

I'll get pictures up this coming weekend. Leaving today for a business trip. Boooooo.
I wonder if whc03grady lives near you in MT.
Not sure, but Bumblebus is my good friend and he lives a block away from me. He is a forum member also.
I think he's hitting on your wife, James.
Everyone does, she's hot. :king:

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 am

LittleTrainJames wrote:Bumblebus is my good friend and he lives a block away from me.
And Little Train is the reason I got another bus. Had an '89 westy (boo vanagon) years ago that I sold to help get a house.. at the very height of the housing bubble... oops... :pukeleft: , but then James there showed up with that sweet '70 with the sunroof awhile back and I knew I had to find an old bay. A mostly rust free '72 westy fell in my lap couple months later and now we've got a local bay club of 2 and soon to be 3 as another friend is getting her '74 orient blue/white next weekend... at least she thinks it's a blue '74 and orient is the only blue I'm seeing for that year... anyway we're taking over town.
LittleTrainJames wrote:Everyone does, she's hot. :king:

She is hot it's true... Little Train on the other hand... not so much. Funny how that works. :geek:

Oh... and I told him to move the fuel filter. At least he's got a running 1600 in great shape! Lucky bastard. Furthest I've got so far is his house... a block away and back. Oh well... progress I guess. :wink:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 am

You two seem like a couple kick-ass dudes - You must make the short trip over to Maupin, Oregon (Deschutes River RendezVW) in June (father's day weekend).
-'72 Westy-

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

BumbleBus wrote:... at least she thinks it's a blue '74 and orient is the only blue I'm seeing for that year...
'74 also offered my personal favorite, Neptune Blue. In any case, a blue bus and that's all good!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:26 pm

So here is where we are at as winter is threatening:

I have gutted the entire bus so I could see what I was working with.

I completely sanded and grinded and POR15ed the cabin floor.

I had my helpful wife prep for painting.

The interior (where it was going to show up) was sanded, primed, sanded, painted, painted etc..

The areas that will have panels or headliner covering it weren't painted. I hate that gouge in the dash.

Not perfect, but good enough for rock and roll, and if you squint you can kind of see the finished product.

So that was fun, my first ever paint job. Next up is insulation, sound proofing, panels and new basketweave for the seats. Waiting on some money for that.

The headliner will come later. I will have access to a garage this winter (I hope) and I plan on tackling the sunroof, among other things.

Here are some pics. I definitely need the cables, and there is a lot of rust to deal with. People have said to convert to a Westfalia top but I really want the sunroof. How are things looking here? Is this a monster project?

The other nasty bit of business is that under certain seals there is deep crumbly cancerous rust. This is bad. I am not sure what I need to do here, hopefully it doesn't require a whole new panel. Whatever it is it scares me.

So that's that, got some initial body work done and did a little painting. Maybe a bit premature but that's ok. It's supposed to be fun right? Now with winter coming I need to find a safe cave for my bus (still un-named) and get down to business.

Apparently, according to Jolie, somethings up with my Generator Pulley.

She's kind of rude when she points out these problems.

And it's never cheap.