Heat Heat Glorious Heat!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:03 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
twinfalls wrote:I just worked on this.
1_Left lever down ( the one opening both control boxes ). I feel heat; One inch over the windshied dashboard ports.
2_ + Middle lever down ( to run the heater fan ). I feel heat; Four inches over the ports.
Is this at idle? Or at what speed

This is at idle.
Running, I would say, it becomes, 2 inches and 6 inches.
With my hand feeling good warm air.

I forgot to see what happens with the front door sliders.

My bus has lost it's front control box ( it used to be controled by the middle lever ). Box and cable removed, direct duct on the side of the big pipe ( iso, box ) ( was done long ago )
This goes just behind the front seats, right ? I have good heat from there too.

I have not insulated the big pipe, neither checked for all leaks. I guess there is much to gain, going through this. My main concern was to have the control boxes and cables perfectly right. ( I just found, that it has been wrong for 20 years thanks to a bad NEW heat control box ).

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:13 am

Roger on the aux gas heater, John. Thanks for the heads-up. There's nothing in Bentley about this heater at all, and nothing in my Owner's Manual, either. I guess they decided we could figure it out ourselves.

Once I get the bus indoors and up on blocks, I can investigate its condition. I, too share your fear of a gasoline-burning device. I've experienced too many Coleman stove near-disasters.

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

solexes@hotmail.com
Getting Hooked!

Post by solexes@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:44 am

ROFL

You guys are all jazzed to have heat...

I'm all jazzed to have AC....

I'll work on that this winter though while it's 65 outside in Tucson LOL.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:00 am

solexes@hotmail.com wrote:ROFL

Then I am going to Tucson for the winter.
Colin :colors:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:10 am

If you need any bits let me know. I have a whole kit from a 79.

solexes@hotmail.com
Getting Hooked!

Post by solexes@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:26 am

Hey Colin all I have to say is...

:profileright: Neener neener neener!!!! :profileleft:

But seriously - when we're tooling around when it's 107 in tucson - it's usualy 75 elsewhere - THEN who's laughing...

ME WITH MY AC!!! BWAHAHAHAH

:cheers:

ANYWAY..

Thanks for the offer Duroc - but I have everything. I even have the compressor - but - I think I'm gonna upgrade with a more modern one. LOL - I'd like to not have the older more expensive coolant.

I will say this - the condenser on this thing is HUGE. WOW - I got to look at it many times while under the bus this last weekend. Holy mother!!!

lol

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 am

DurocShark wrote:

If you need any bits let me know. I have a whole kit from a 79.
Depending on how things go, I might be willing to take that off your hands.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:32 pm

glasseye wrote:Roger on the aux gas heater, John. Thanks for the heads-up. There's nothing in Bentley about this heater at all, and nothing in my Owner's Manual, either. I guess they decided we could figure it out ourselves.

Once I get the bus indoors and up on blocks, I can investigate its condition. I, too share your fear of a gasoline-burning device. I've experienced too many Coleman stove near-disasters.

Peter
Peter,
Back when heat was just a far off dream, I ran into this. It would make an excellent replacement for the original gas heater, and I would hope be safer too. They offer a diesel model and my idea was a second fuel tank for biodiesel. It looks like you'll need to install it inside the cabin, so that would be the fun part. If you're looking for solid strong heat this just might be it. Now that my heat's working and that I live in a mild climate, I doubt this'll be an upgrade I look into any time soon.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks, John. Espar heaters are, I believe, installed in the Dodge (MB) Sprinter. The boys on the Sprinter list love 'em. Tons of heat whenever you want it. It's even clock-programmable so you can climb in to a warm cab on a cold morning. I'll see how my gas heater looks when I get to crawl underneath the bus.

By the speed the roofers are arriving, that'll be, uh, April. :cyclopsani:

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:36 pm

Awsome news. That's just awsome. I may have to get one of those.
Thanks for the link.
I did insulate my pipes and got about twice the heat I used to, but it may not make it in January. We'll see.

Rob

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:55 pm

Hippie, you're going to drive your bus in the snow? I don't think I have the heart. I got my heat working pretty good, also. The heat I'm not so worried about. The f'ing salt, now that's a problem...

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:05 am

I am sure that the OG heat system is powerful enough.
I drove from Philadephia to Montreal round trip, at Xmas 1971 with a new Westy from a friend of mine. It was cold and stormy, some was in, before and after blizzards.
We had plenty of heat in the bus.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:19 am

chitwnvw wrote:Hippie, you're going to drive your bus in the snow? I don't think I have the heart. I got my heat working pretty good, also. The heat I'm not so worried about. The f'ing salt, now that's a problem...
I try to avoid the wet salt spray, but the roads are dry here most of the time in the winter -just really cold.
It's the only big vehicle I have to haul things, too. The wife and I have "economy" size cars other than the VW. (and yes, my 13 year old every day commuter is plenty rusty -ha ha)

Rob

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:05 am

In our mountains, where drivers are used to salted roads, they wash their cars, thorouly under the body, very frequently.
Trouble with the bus; There are so many hidden places for the slushy salted mud to sneak in that fresh water washing will hardly remove all of it.
I think the under parts had quite good rust protection.
To renew it seems a hell of a job. How long would this project, be ?

Recent cars have rubber bellies all under them, don't they ? Could we fit some under the bus for better heat, less noise, less rust ?
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:39 am

chitwnvw wrote:Is there an oval clamp for the more oval hose coming from the aux fan?
There's no clamp - this is held in place by a sheet metal screw.
Nevertheless, a great way to seal up the heat is to use the extra-fancy duct tape that is made from thick aluminum foil, with super-sticky adhesive. Professional HVAC duct tape. That stuff weals well, and stays put. Normal duct tape is junk and does not belong near any heat.

's'about time I joined this forum... :alien:
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net