Engine Build - Type1 1969 Westfalia

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm

hambone wrote:P.S. 250 miles since engine reinstalled. So far dry, running well. Much much better in fact.
Right on. You are becoming a VW Master Mechanic Journeyman.
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey Hambone, so glad this thread stlll is here. will use it in future Im sure. Don,t know why my engine is still going strong after so many miles of my ignorant rebuild using a Haynes manual in 1994 in dire straights. So far so good, If it ain't broke don't try to fix it eh?

Have lost over the years the go for it attitude I so injoyed but I guess the AAA 200 mile towing for us baby boomers wanting to travel---helps.

Love all your input and understand the 1600 engine. Thanks!

ps- did I leave a down sleeping bag at your place? It was blue with a strip of duct tape over rip by top? Used the fiber one on trip north, never really cold in June '07. If not at your place , must have been stolen with other stuff in Portland on the way down south home. Sorry to ask , but old camping stuff is best. Ya know!
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks Barb! No, no sleeping bag.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:10 am

dtrumbo wrote:He received them on 12/28 and so far, no credit. I'll be patient a little longer.
Just an update. After a couple of phone calls, I've received my credit(s) for the entire amount including return shipping. Whew, done.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:52 am

=D> Thanks Hambone. Been readin this and learnin ALOT! I actually got the gump to split my case! I'm a part of may vw forums but decided to keep my build thread here. You guys are kinda cool (i guess) and the input, support, and knowledge around this place is amazing. Great Job on your build.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks man! Had it up to 70 today, smooth as buttah.
1/4 turn leaner on the carb helped.

hambone

Re: Engine Build - Type1 1969 Westfalia

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 am

<BUMP> for Asiab3, took me forever to find this sucker. Some reason search couldn't...
Still running strong after many years of high and lonesome horrible roads. Mama Bus.
I'd say the best investment was that rebuilt vacuum distributor, actually a gift from Bookwus. I have a scattering of his old crap lying about to remind me.
Where have some of these goons gone? Time marches on.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 am

Don't know how i missed this tread but cannot wait to read it :geek:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Almost 6 years later and I just finished reading it again =D>
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you, seems like a zillion years ago. Engine with 30k miles now, still happy.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:52 pm

hambone wrote:Thank you, seems like a zillion years ago. Engine with 30k miles now, still happy.
. . . and the Bookwus engine is happy too, but sounding a bit sloppy with the additional 77,000 + miles since I have been driving it.

Glad you like the Bookwus vacuum-only distributor. I think that might be the vacuum-only distributor that was supposed to be on the Bookwus engine. It had a SVDA distributor with a 30/31 carb that I tore off in La Mesa CA and stuck in a box.
We of singleport must proselytize to the masses that the vacuum-only distributor with a German Solex 30 Pict 2 or 3 is the only distributor/carb combination to have . . . or maybe we should just start accumulating a stash of them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote: We of singleport must proselytize to the masses that the vacuum-only distributor with a German Solex 30 Pict 2 or 3 is the only distributor/carb combination to have . . . or maybe we should just start accumulating a stash of them.
Colin
Check, and check.

I've never gone to a swap meet and NOT bought one. I'm going to hit a dozen spares, with functioning vacuum cans, by this summer…

HoarderRobbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 am

I've come to a conclusion. They must have sold MILLIONS of the Bosch 009's back in the 70's and 80's.. I can't go to a VW swap meet and not see ton's and ton's of 113905205's, K's, M's, T's being sold for next to nothing. I paid $4 dollars recently for a 205K. When I took it apart, it looked brand new inside. The fiber washers were original and in perfect condition and there was no wear on any of the internal parts. It just required a good cleaning and re-lubing. It also had a perfect vacuum can.

Thank goodness for the hoarders from back in those days. We are fortunate to still be able to get our hands on these original VW parts and at a cheap price. I think all of these distributors would get gobbled up if people really understand how much better they work than an 009 or the latest Chinese POS distributor sold today.

It's interesting to me that Tim @ Volksbitz is so busy refurbishing the original German made Solex carbs. Maybe folks are finally starting to understand how much better the original, 40+ year old VW parts are vs. what's sold new today.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.