Pop Top Tom's Rebuild Thread <updated 10-17

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Pop Top Tom's Rebuild Thread <updated 10-17

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 am

Rebuilt Engine - '76-'77 Bus
Remanufactured 2.0 Liter Longblock, fully rebuilt including upgraded heads. Solid Lifters.

Description: Redesigned valve seats for improved reliability over the original VW design. Round-trip shipping (engine to you and your core back) approx. $280-$330 within continental U.S.

Part Reference Number*: 022100625
Availability: Usually ships in 7-14 working days (built to order).
Qty Price Core*
$1,249.95 $300.00
That's the little bit of info given. So I emailed them with some questions. And as an addendum, I know there are better options. But way more than budget allows at the moment. I have high hopes to get something along the lines of Jake's CS, but cannot pull that trigger at the moment.
With that said, I need to get this bus on the road. This project has gone on four close to four stinkin years. Separation and divorce doesn't help!
So close to four weeks ago, I emailed Boston Bob with a set of questions. I then re sent the same email two weeks ago. Absolutely no respose from him/them. Screw that kind of service.

So I emailed BD with some questions, as I know the AMC heads are a major concern. And here were the answers.
Tom, Thank you for your inquiry. They are not turn key engines. You will need totransfer your intake, exhaust, electrics, etc. from your old engine. I amincluding below what comes with the new engine: CAMS ARE GERMAN REGROUND LIFTERS ARE NEW PISTONS AND CYLINDERS ARE NEW COFAP or MAHLE BEARINGS ARE NEW PUSHROD TUBES ARE NEW OIL PUMP GEARS ARE NEW HEADS--REBUILT WITH NEW SEATS, GUIDES, AND NEW EXHAUST VALVES GASKETS AND SEALS NEW (SEATS ARESPECIALLY PEENED AND TREATED TO REDUCE LIKELIHOOD OF DROPPING) ALL HARDWARE IS NEW ROCKER ASSEMBLY-SCREWS ARE NEW THE CASTING IS POLISHED (NOT NEW)
With this information, what do you all think? What other questions do I need to ask, or do I need to simply walk away from this potenial purchase?

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Tom
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:24 am

I would give Boston Bob a phone call. Based on what I've heard about him from Randy in Maine (who has visited his shop and worked through some things with him together) , this is the guy you want to build your engine if you're not going to Raby.

I'm guessing he gets all kind of "tire kickers" sending him e-mail and it's just not worth responding if only 1 in 10 actually ends up being a customer.

Nothing against Bus Depot, but I think they are just retailing someone else's rebuilt engines. They are not building them.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 am

Richard Atwell bought an AVP engine...... you may want to read about it here: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Longblock.html

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 am

I agree, Don, but geez, detailed questions and a resend of the same email I would think would get a guy a response over the course of a month.
The only number on BB's site is a parts order number. I guess I call that.
It just pisses me off that a lack of communication now sets me back.
I guess I'll call both BD and BB, and ask the questions not answered. Who builds the BD longblock is a great question. Add it to the list.
Other questions?
The thing that will set me back time-wise with BB is the fact I need to send my block to him, if I'm not mistaken, before any work even starts.

I can see this heading in September, and me still not driving this bus.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:45 am

poptop tom wrote:Who builds the BD longblock is a great question. ?
Bus Depot AVP engines come from AVP: http://avpworldwide.com/

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks, Karl. Hadn't seen that writeup on Richard's site before. Interesting. May be a decent option I suppose.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:14 am

The other option might be to look for a clapped out, but original, Bus and swap in its engine. Look at that ugly, rusty thing that VDubTech bought. Its engine is untouched by a rebuilder and he claims it is one of the smoothest and most powerful engines he's driven.

I know of a gentleman in the Detroit area in the same situation. Bought a rusty hulk with an untouched engine and it's a runner!

Another option: There is a guy with an excellent reputation near Cleveland, Ohio by the name of Bill Webner. He runs an upholstery shop called Der Wagonwerks, but is also an excellent mechanic and engine builder. Most of his work is for local Cleveland folks, but he might be able to fix you up. Looks like a 4-hour drive from where you are. He hangs out on the LEAKOIL forum - http://www.leakoil.com as "wwebner".

If I had known about him at the time, I would have had him redo my engine the first time instead of the bozo I dealt with.

Tell him Don/vwlover77 sent you....

Der Wagonwerks
Restoration & Complete Upholstery Services
Air Cooled VW Service Specializing in Late Buses
126 Yorkshire Court
Elyria, Ohio 44035
440-322-9459 or 440-323-6414
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 am

I've never had any dealings with Boston Bob, but here's a similar situation that happened to me just recently. About a week ago, I submitted an online "inquiry" on Gilmore Enterprises (air conditioning systems) website. Never heard anything. Called him today and left a message. In ten minutes, Ed Gilmore himself called me back and answered every one of my questions in a very professional and helpful manner. I asked why he didn't respond to my online inquiry and he said he never got it and was puzzled by that fact. E-mail, internet, computers, etc. don't work all the time and some folks aren't as "tech-savvy" as others. Everyone seems to have grasped Alexander Bell's technology so I agree with Don, call him. THEN if you don't get any response, move on (as you should at that point). Personally, I'd rather he know how to build engines than be computer literate. Yes, you can be both, but if I had to choose... :cyclopsani:
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:53 pm

I got mine directly from AVP. They were very easy to deal with and the engine is holding up very well. It may be cheaper for you to get it through Bus Depot since they are closer to you (AVP is in Sacramento).
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 am

I appreciate all the input folks!

I'll keep you all posted on what transpires.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:33 am

poptop tom wrote:I appreciate all the input folks!

I'll keep you all posted on what transpires.
Get that bus on the road. Enjoy the oil-based economy while it is still yours to enjoy.
Colin :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:58 am

Amskeptic wrote:Get that bus on the road. Enjoy the oil-based economy while it is still yours to enjoy.
Colin :compress:
Yep, I sure would hate to be shopping for an engine for a '59 Cadillac or some other old behemoth gas guzzler!
Don

78 Westy

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 am

I hear ya, Colin. It's been such a long time coming.

Unfortunately life put a hold on this project. I'm still determined as ever to get it on the road this summer. And I will.

And hopefully I can get you by my neck of the woods sometime soon so I can absorb some great information from you.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:30 pm

A lot of the e-mail sent to me at work never gets through due to our "spam blocker softweare" at work whatever that means.

Use the phone and sepeak with a live person.

Keep in mind that both Boston Engine and AVP are pretty much "one man shops" + some additional help, and sometimes one man shops have some things going on (health stuff, vacation time, family stuff, etc.) so you have to give them a little slack sometimes.
79 VW Bus

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Ya know, there is another option. Adrian at Headflowmasters, used to work Raby's heads before HAM did. He is one of the few with a rep for doing new AMC heads properly. I have a pair, I like 'em, been on the rebuilt engine since last summer. Any way I believe he builds stock engines. He doesn't have much of a web site, if you can even find it. I'll have a look around for his # if you want it. He's in the north west somewhere, I think, can't remember exactly where.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.