Pop Top Tom's Rebuild Thread <updated 10-17

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 am

Oregon72 wrote:One of the many great logical "that makes sense" tips that Air Cooled Ranch gave me with regard to head installation is that you want to install both heads at the same time torquing in 5 foot pound increments.
Torquing Across The Centerline where you do a mirror image of the sequence. This is an important detail. You do the Bentley sequence only on one side of the engine. The opposite side of the engine must follow.
So if the right side sequence were:
xxxx
xxxx
the left side would beinterspersing:
xxxx
xxxx

and when you got to the outside
right side
xxxx
xxxx
the left would be interspersing with
xxxx
xxxx
Kapiche? You are tensioning studs directly across from each other.
Probably a big bunch of bullshit for us 67 horsepower types, but after damn close to 3/4 of a million miles with these engines, I sense aluminum as softer and more ductile than ever. Be nice, I say.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Friday update

Adjusted valves. Those swivels are sweet to adjust! Hopefully I dont have to do it too often! As is supposedly the case with them.

Installed (re-installed the oil filter pedestal due to someone else putting a new stud, and it being too long to get an oil cooler over) new stud for pedestal. Installed the mount, and then the oil cooler. Installed t-stat assembly. Oil fill mount. The couple of tin pieces necessary at this point. And finished up with the fan housing!

Busy weekend ahead, away from the bus, but hope to find time to continue on with a few items.

If all goes well, monday will be the big finish it up day!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Will you get this bus running already - I can't wait to see this as a running bus - aeration must be done by now - Get the bus running before the lake effect snow starts flying.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:02 am

mattg wrote:Will you get this bus running already - I can't wait to see this as a running bus - aeration must be done by now - Get the bus running before the lake effect snow starts flying.
Oddly enough, we finally finished fairways yesterday! Greens scheduled for wednesday!

Your points still stand, Matt!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:11 am

All tin is installed, alt., belt, etc.

Exhaust and heat exchangers start now!

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 am

Pictures or it didn't happen :yawinkle:
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 pm

hercdriver wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen :yawinkle:
I know, I know. Haven't loaded them into the computer to even put them into photobucket. No time!

Heat exchangers are installed. Tbird exhaust is attached, but not torqued down yet. One pesky bolt I haven't gotten put in yet.
Tomorrow she comes off the stand (this stand doesn't seem like it likes the amount of weight attached!), gets the clutch and pressure plate installed, and gets hooked up to the tranny, for a hopeful bench run to get the oil pressure built up some before really firing it off.

Fuel injection is assembled, waiting to go to work. Need to clean up the harness. Its a bit grimy. New battery ready to go in.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 am

All aquiver over in Gypsie camp.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:03 pm

poptop tom wrote:
I know, I know. Haven't loaded them into the computer to even put them into photobucket. No time!

Heat exchangers are installed. Tbird exhaust is attached, but not torqued down yet. One pesky bolt I haven't gotten put in yet.
Tomorrow she comes off the stand (this stand doesn't seem like it likes the amount of weight attached!), gets the clutch and pressure plate installed, and gets hooked up to the tranny, for a hopeful bench run to get the oil pressure built up some before really firing it off.

Fuel injection is assembled, waiting to go to work. Need to clean up the harness. Its a bit grimy. New battery ready to go in.
Am I . . . am I . . . going to be in your area for Break-In?
Colin

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

Am I . . . am I . . . going to be in your area for Break-In?
Colin
That's a great question! Are you?

I'm hoping to fire it up today possibly. Tomorrow for sure. How soon will you be this way? I'm willing to do a half day, but can't swing more than that......so........

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:38 am

poptop tom wrote: I'm hoping to fire it up today possibly. Tomorrow for sure. How soon will you be this way? I'm willing to do a half day, but can't swing more than that......so........
Passing through on the 17th at 2:00-4:00PM-ish. It would have to be only a couple of hours.
Colin

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote: I'm hoping to fire it up today possibly. Tomorrow for sure. How soon will you be this way? I'm willing to do a half day, but can't swing more than that......so........
Passing through on the 17th at 2:00-4:00PM-ish. It would have to be only a couple of hours.
Colin
Lets do it!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 am

poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Lets do it!
OK.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Lets do it!
OK.
PM sent!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 am

poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Lets do it!
OK.
PM sent!
Get the camera out and take pictures! Don't make me come up there and do it for you!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.