accelerator cable

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

accelerator cable

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:44 pm

My cable is too long and I had to cut it down. Any suggestion so that I'm not clamping down on the cable? I ran over to Ace, but they didn't have anything that looked promising...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Maybe check a local cycling shop and see if one of the mechanics will sell you some of the end crimps they use to keep the shifter and brake cables from fraying.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:54 pm

You can always solder the end strands to keep them bundled. But I thought we discussed making the *sheath* longer, the flexible sheath that runs from the chassis tube to the front tin. Even a 5mm fuel hose length will do, that will then allow you to clamp the end of the cable.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:16 am

You could always get something like this:

You can find this particular one here:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

You just slide the end of the cable in and then can clamp down on it with an inset screw. I use a similar one on my bus because of my dual carbs and have been thinking about getting this fancy one.

So now that I've been thinking about it the end I have really only works with my throttle setup and linkage. Look up "Morse" throttle cable products, they also have simple ends that are just straight cable ends where you slide the wire in and clamp it off while the other end is just the fatter end portion you can screw into your linkage.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav: