Nice mosquito screen from fly away

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Nice mosquito screen from fly away

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 pm

http://www.flyawaydesignsonline.com/

just found this from an IAC members photo and followed the link...this would be worth the ventalation alone!!! =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

bdann
I'm New!

Post by bdann » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:31 pm

that's pretty sweet, except that it's $350.
1971 Westy

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:39 pm

I remember a robust discussion on samba about this.. I don't think I 've seen anything from someone who owned one, thought.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:35 am

I saw the screen in person a couple weeks ago when they came up to the Lab on Monday. They are nice screens with good workmanship. They are made out of thick Cordura material and the screens are durable fiberglass material.

If I remember the main concern over on the samba was the mounting. They use magnets and most people wanted snaps. Well after seeing it, the magnets will do the job quite nicely. The way it mounts you would have to install snaps on the body of the bus and buy or rent the tool to put them on the screen. They are using many high quality ceramic magnets that are sewn into the suround every inch or so. They have also improved on the placement of the magnets and used larger magnets in strategic areas to improve hold. Some were also concerned about magnets scratching the paint but unless you're using the thing in high winds and it's thrashing around I don't think there's much danger in scratching since the magnets are sewn into pockets of the cordura. If it's that windy I'd not be using it anyway.

The price is kind of high but remember this is a small two person operation and they are all hand made. The cordura and magnets themselves aren't cheap to buy so I think overall the price is fair.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.