Rear Vent & Side Window Replacement

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Rear Vent & Side Window Replacement

Post by RussellK » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:06 am

Last night we tackled reinstalling the rear side vent & window. We had a seal reputed to be the better quality seal. The vent installs without any problem but there is no way the rear side window fits. We used the wire & lots of soapy water trick. The window with the seal installed is probably a full 1/4" too wide. I suspect the seal is slightly too thick. At any rate we had to cut the brand new seal to get the window back out. I'm debating eliminating the vent altogether & trying to find a solid rear side window

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:48 am

I'm removing the vent completely back there, already bought some used glass for cheap and need to buy the seal. Just need a friend to help with install. :cheers:

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:18 pm

Are the right & left rear windows interchangeable? At this point I'g go ventless but can't run down the solid glass for the left side. It looks like a right side would fit.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 pm

RussellK wrote:Are the right & left rear windows interchangeable? At this point I'g go ventless but can't run down the solid glass for the left side. It looks like a right side would fit.
Both sides are interchangeable. I just did this. The only spot around any of my windows that had rust was at that vent wing.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:37 pm

The vent installs without any problem but there is no way the rear side window fits. We used the wire & lots of soapy water trick. The window with the seal installed is probably a full 1/4" too wide.
It's me again. But this time I will be positive.

IT DOES FIT! I just did this a year ago and had the same problem. Make sure the vent window is lined up with the tabs in the body and in the vent window. Then get AT LEAST two others and yourself to help push in and on an angle to the front of the bus while you bust a nut pulling on the string from the inside. It is another bitch but it does fit.

Another tip. Use leverage i.e. park the bus close to a wall so you can push with your feet.

Good luck.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:50 pm

We used the wire & lots of soapy water trick.
also, I used lanolin hand cleaner instead of soapy water. it made the rubber real slick and worked well.

What did you mean by "wire"? did you mean the rope?

if you did then I thought of another trick to get a better grip on the rope. I rapped the loose end around a sturdy stick and pulled on it with two hands.
At any rate we had to cut the brand new seal to get the window back out.
This will not happen if you grease it up with the lanolin next time. It will slide right out if it is not seated all the way in. A nice feature. :yawinkle:
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points