The Craigslist Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: The Craigslist Bus Thread

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Looks like they spent the time and effort to do a quality job....but why did they not do original Formica? And they've got repop door panels now in green no less...for as much as they are asking they should have paid attention to these (not so little) details. That white Formica really kills it for me.

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/be ... 54331.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Is a hundred fifty a good price to have these hanging around, in case the family ever acquires something that runs a carbureted Type 1 mill?
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/pts/d/16 ... 17968.html
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 pm
Is a hundred fifty a good price to have these hanging around, in case the family ever acquires something that runs a carbureted Type 1 mill?
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/pts/d/16 ... 17968.html
Not really. Two reasons, in my opinion.

Last two sets of VW Type 1 heads cost me about $50 for a pair, and they were in much better condition. Then I had Adrian rework them for $350 and they are as good as new. (New stainless steel valves, valve guides, a 3-angle grind into the existing VW valve seats, gentle fly-cut, and complete exterior bead-blasting.)

Second, I just pulled a set of brand new EMPI stock heads out of the box last month. The casting was beautiful. Short of Len Hoffman's BluePrint Specials, I have never seen a head with that much attention to finish. The casting cooling passages around the exhaust ports were completely smooth and clear. All the fin casting flash was perfectly machined away. Adrian replaced the valve seats, and did the same work as my heads above for not much extra cash. If the valve seats and their installation were up to snuff, these heads will be around for a long time. Rumor on the SoCal VW scene is that EMPI recently bought CB Performance's milling plant in Southern California, and is investing big money in making it their own CNC department. CB moved all their in-house milling to a brand new state of the art milling program at their headquarters in Central California.

I want to assume that Type 1 cylinder head availability is not going to be a problem for us. But I have never had a cylinder head issue with my 45-year old heads…
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 pm
I just pulled a set of brand new EMPI stock heads out of the box last month. The casting was beautiful.
Adrian replaced the valve seats,
Robbie
Photos? Any insight into his process?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Honest if tired looking Vanagon for the lowest price I've seen in a while:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/c ... 26316.html

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 am

It does look honest, it does look tired, it is a worthwhile price. Then I would replace the carpet, re-do the door panels and headliner and get working on all of the mechanicals.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Must have been good if it's gone already… My friend looking to get rid of his Astro van sent this to me today… Oh wait, it was a nice Vanagon with proper brown carpet and dash, for $4300 and looked well-cared for. Of course it's gone too. ;)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:55 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm

This appears to be a really good deal....or at least the best deal I've seen in a while. Although, am scratching my head as to how it runs without either carbs, or all the FI stuff...take a look at the engine shot,,

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 51567.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Here's another one..... granted no beauty queen from what I can see...but hey... a running/driving bus for $2500? I've seen folks ask that for rusted out carcasses....

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 03056.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm
Although, am scratching my head as to how it runs without either carbs, or all the FI stuff...take a look at the engine shot,
Well, the firewall is removed and the fuel tank exposed in that photo, which suggest that the seller was diligent in tracking down and eradicating leaks in the fuel evap system. Not a bad sign.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Those hideous vinyl stripes are identical to the ones Gary came with. would be interesting to know where it came from.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am
Although, am scratching my head as to how it runs without either carbs, or all the FI stuff...take a look at the engine shot,
Well, the firewall is removed and the fuel tank exposed in that photo, which suggest that the seller was diligent in tracking down and eradicating leaks in the fuel evap system. Not a bad sign.
Am I blind, or is it missing the AFM, S boot, and air cleaner?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 am

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm
SlowLane wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am
Am I blind, or is it missing the AFM, S boot, and air cleaner?
All of which need to be removed in order to get the firewall out, if I'm not mistaken, as well as giving one some wiggle room to work in whilst changing out evap hoses.
I' m speculating here that the engine photo was taken during some work in progress. Granted, not really the ideal shot to put in a "for sale" ad...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett